$17 Billion Dollar Shipwreck

https://www.livescience.com/62638-san-jose-shipwreck-cannons.html

Pretty amazing - the article is worth a read if you love anything to do with treasure hunting.

It's great how over the last few decades underwater ROV's are putting these treasures/history back in reach.

I just read that story and now I see it here!

One part of the story I read said that the estimate is between 4-17 billion.  That is quite a range.  How much is it going to take to get all of it to the surface?

Mitchel

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I just read that story and now I see it here!

One part of the story I read said that the estimate is between 4-17 billion.  That is quite a range.  How much is it going to take to get all of it to the surface?

Mitchel

A large range, but still simply amazing being in the billions...Pretty cool that they say most of the gold was mined in Peru as well.

It would be quite an undertaking at those depths - I don't know much about Columbia, but it is going to take a significant investment on their part as tech is going to play heavy into this retrieval given the depth; you're talking millions upon millions of dollars, and since it's the Colombian government, most likely they will want to put this in a museum of some sort, not cash it all out...who knows. 

That said, there are always those rogues with money and resources and once something like this is in the wind I am sure you'll have a few people trying to see what they can do to get a slice of the pie.