Thought Exercise: Single Frequency

Time to do some serious spring cleaning this weekend so I am unlikely to get out detecting much.  For those shut ins like me here is a discussion point:

We know that MultiIQ is the heart and soul of the Equinox.  It is more than just multifrequency.  It determines the "personality" and behavior of each mode.  Enables Ground Balancing on both mineralized and salt dominated environments.  Is essential to the Iron Bias feature (Iron Bias is disable when in single frequency), and you can't even operate in either Beach mode in single frequency.  So that begs the question, when shifting to single frequency in Park or Field mode (leaving Gold mode out of this discussion because it is a different animal altogether with its VCO audio, dedicated threshold settings, and single freqs limited to 20 and 40) does it really matter what mode you are in at that point?  Does the detector essentially become mode independent at that point because you have lost the MultiIQ personality other than the disc, tone breakpoint, and recovery settings you have specified?  Interestingly, the manual states that you should noise cancel any time you change the frequency setting.  That tells me that the noise cancel process is conducted using single frequency as well as multifrequency  (consistent with the given mode) depending on whether you are in multi or single.  Finally, the manual never explicitly says, but I also wonder whether GB is also conducted in single frequency if you GB while the detector is in single frequency.   That would make more sense than the detector shifting back to multi when you GB but who knows.  What I do know is that you would lose some of the abilities that MultiIQ provides in compensating for a less than ideal GB so it would be prudent to also do a GB if you switch to single.

This is meant to encourage detector nerd like discussion and thoughts because some good information about how to better utilize the detector in single frequency may come of it.  Since a lot of this is speculation, let's keep the emotions and "right vs. wrong" type discussions to a minimum.  Unless you can cite a specific "truth" in the manual or the laws of physics, everyone should get the benefit of the doubt about their thoughts and opinions on the subject.  Talk about how you might best utilize single frequency mode given its known limitations (e.g., we know about junk target interrogation, maximizing depth high conductors using 5 khz (provided noise does not become an issue) or sifting for shallow jewelry mid-conductors at 20/40khz, and as a last ditch effort to counter EMI if all else fails in MultiIQ). 

Have at it.  

HH (to those who ARE getting out)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yikes!  Where's my Ibuprofin?  You've made my brain hurt!?

• Like 1

Ok - Does it matter what mode you are in if you use single frequency since MultIQ is not being used?.  What would you use single frequency for?  Is that better?

I also thought it worthwhile for folks to know there is more to MultIQ than just multifrequency and what they end up losing if they go to single so they can decide if the trade off  is worth it.  Sometimes you don't have a choice though, like the bad EMI situations.

Interesting comment considering the Asimov quote.  Based on that, I would expect that your brain would be least hurt by the post.  I guess I am who Isaac was complaining about.  Lol

I only run through single freq's to interrogate a suspect target before having to dig. I also use the pump method in all-metal for those questionable target signals.
I think there have been recent studies and tests that indicate that using single freq for hunting has not been shown to be as effective for virtually anything over multi-IQ.
I could be wrong. (There's a first time for everything...?)

8 minutes ago, SittingElf said:

I think there have been recent studies and tests that indicate that using single freq for hunting has not been shown to be as effective for virtually anything over multi-IQ.

Yep.  4 out of 5 dentists agree.

Oh, wait...wrong study.  Sorry.

I run multi all the time....except when I was hunting an area that had a major highway on one side (rt 95 in CT) and the electric powered high speed Acela train on the other side of me. Probably about 200 ft. from me on each side. Multi would not work with both of those producing different EMI. I had to go to single frequency and the only frequency that worked well was the 40 KHz. Without it, I could not hunt there. That's an extreme case, as most times multi works just fine where I hunt.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Talk about how you might best utilize single frequency mode given its known limitations (e.g., we know about junk target interrogation, maximizing depth high conductors using 5 khz (provided noise does not become an issue) or sifting for shallow jewelry mid-conductors at 20/40khz, and as a last ditch effort to counter EMI if all else fails in MultiIQ). 

Does that mean these items of discussion, most mentioned in other posts and some video's, are excluded from the exercise?

I'm not qualified to speak on the exercise as I'm still waiting on an 800, but it seems an interesting thread to follow sans comedians.... 4 outta 5 *eye roll* hehh.

• Haha 1

I'm with SittingElf on this one.  Only use single to interrogate target...

If you follow manual instructions you'd be noise canceling and ground balancing every minute or so when using single frequencies.  

I find ground pump in multi works rather well. Also tid shift in 10khz as another tool keeps me from digging those pesky bottle caps...