Ridge Runner

Blast To The Past With White’s

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had one of those also, but was too stupid at the time to realize the power I had in my hands with the very first ground balancing metal detector. Ground Exclusion Balance (G.E.B.) was our introduction to VLF ground balancing technology. The funny part is all I focused on was the Coinmaster V Supreme would find nails per swing that my earlier T/R models ignored entirely. If I had caught on to what potential the machine had for nugget detecting things might have been a little different, but I let it go way too soon.

Here is an ad blurb from the 1976 catalog, plus a picture below of a little later model Coinmaster 5/DB (crude discrimination added) at the White's factory. Click on photos for larger versions.

whites-coinmaster-v-supreme-ad.jpgwhites-coinmaster-5-supreme.jpgwhites-ground-exclusion-balance-geb.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out when the Coinmaster V Supreme first came out. GEB was top dog then :laugh:. But it cut right through mineralized ground and had some pretty good depth, if you like digging those whisper targets. Nails could be figured out somewhat if you did a 90 degree turn. They would double bleep if they were close enough. Not 100 percent effective though. We dug a LOT of holes back then. I had the 5DB also (or was there a 5000D model?)..... the worst machine ever. Total loss of depth. I heard the later model Di's were good but I left whites for a while, and only returned when The Eagle and Eagle Spectrum came out. That Spectrum was another great machine from them. The older units weighed a ton and changing them 14 AA batteries hurt the wallet! The word ergonomics wasn't even invented then :wink:

• Like 1

I think the straight up Coinmaster V Supreme with no discrimination came out in 1975, but was very quickly replaced by the Coinmaster 5/D, which tacked on a very basic T/R discrimination circuit that did not go a third the depth of the machine in all metal. No good on the deep stuff. This ad copy is from the 1976 White’s catalog. Unfortunately I have no 1975 catalog to refer to.

The Coinmaster 5/DB if I recall correctly added an early version S.A.T. (self Adjusting Threshold) before it was actually called that. And yes there was a 5000D also, which is about when they were slimming down the metal boxes to smaller than mailbox dimensions.

Not only did ergonomics not exist then, but these machines were “anti-ergonomic”!

whites-coinmaster-v-supreme-ad.jpg.b92ac

• Like 1