Ridge Runner

Blast To The Past With White’s

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had one of those also, but was too stupid at the time to realize the power I had in my hands with the very first ground balancing metal detector. Ground Exclusion Balance (G.E.B.) was our introduction to VLF ground balancing technology. The funny part is all I focused on was the Coinmaster V Supreme would find nails per swing that my earlier T/R models ignored entirely. If I had caught on to what potential the machine had for nugget detecting things might have been a little different, but I let it go way too soon.

Here is an ad blurb from the 1976 catalog, plus a picture below of a little later model Coinmaster 5/DB (crude discrimination added) at the White's factory. Click on photos for larger versions.

whites-coinmaster-v-supreme-ad.jpgwhites-coinmaster-5-supreme.jpgwhites-ground-exclusion-balance-geb.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out when the Coinmaster V Supreme first came out. GEB was top dog then :laugh:. But it cut right through mineralized ground and had some pretty good depth, if you like digging those whisper targets. Nails could be figured out somewhat if you did a 90 degree turn. They would double bleep if they were close enough. Not 100 percent effective though. We dug a LOT of holes back then. I had the 5DB also (or was there a 5000D model?)..... the worst machine ever. Total loss of depth. I heard the later model Di's were good but I left whites for a while, and only returned when The Eagle and Eagle Spectrum came out. That Spectrum was another great machine from them. The older units weighed a ton and changing them 14 AA batteries hurt the wallet! The word ergonomics wasn't even invented then :wink:

• Like 1

I think the straight up Coinmaster V Supreme with no discrimination came out in 1975, but was very quickly replaced by the Coinmaster 5/D, which tacked on a very basic T/R discrimination circuit that did not go a third the depth of the machine in all metal. No good on the deep stuff. This ad copy is from the 1976 White’s catalog. Unfortunately I have no 1975 catalog to refer to.

The Coinmaster 5/DB if I recall correctly added an early version S.A.T. (self Adjusting Threshold) before it was actually called that. And yes there was a 5000D also, which is about when they were slimming down the metal boxes to smaller than mailbox dimensions.

Not only did ergonomics not exist then, but these machines were “anti-ergonomic”!

whites-coinmaster-v-supreme-ad.jpg.b92ac

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Bob Canaday worked for White's Electronics for 33 years and was one of the true experts in the metal detecting community, posting on White's Forum, Findmall, and Friendly Forums as rcsnake. I used to Google and read all his posts that I could find. Bob was particularly knowledgeable on the White's V3i and wrote Hunting in Mineralized Ground with the V3i
      My condolences to Bob's family and friends.
      Robert Moore Canaday obituary
      Bob explaining the White's V3i Factory Reset....

• By Lobo Lover
      I just fired up the Lobo and placed the coil to the ground, then it beeped or quacked as some would have it but I like the sound's my Lobo makes. I'm starting to understand it with every hour we spend together and I think we have begun a fine relationship with each other, for she rewarded me with my very best find ever. The target was positive as I waved the coil over the ground , so I then began to recover the item and I popped out this badge which was covered with a fair amount of soil. Just like most of the other badges that I find I just put them in the bag and carry on but then when I got home I couldn't find it and was worried I'd have to look for it again. Then my wife said here it is thank goodness she found it, so we cleaned it up with some water to take a closer look.  
              This is where it get's interesting, I can see now that it's a R.A.F. Squadron Badge. So I look for the Squad number and it showed 518, then I thought I've heard of this Squadron somewhere before, then it hit me D-Day these guy's radioed Churchill directly from the plane confirming the weather was good enough for the landing of D-Day. I could not believe what I had in my hand, a Squadron Badge from the 518 Squadron. So I did some background work and found out that it's the real deal. Some insignias show the hand holding the key to the right but mine was facing to the left so I checked some more on this and it is supposed to face left.
                I do hope we have some WW II historians with us so they could give me some more information on what I have found. I also know there were 28 flights in the Squadron with 8 men crews so that's only 224 men in this squadron. I also found out that to this day, some of the where bouts' of couple of these guy's is still unknown one from Australia. Man this is real live history I have here, there's so much information on this Squadron and it's a great story too, so if you haven't heard about these guy's you should check it out for sure. Now if you are familiar with this story, please pass on what information you could supply me with. This must have a lot of historic value and speaking of value what would you think it would be worth to the right buyer? 
                My question now is, should I have it restored or do we leave these kind of things alone? This is my best find ever and a day I'll never forget. I found some real live history about 70 Year old iconic world history.  This is Great I Love My Lobo.
      B.T.W.  My camera is Sh#*, so please excuse the photography and my other camera is also no, is a digital microscope and can only zoom out to 50X.      
      http://www.oldnautibits.com/features/aerofeature5.php
      http://www.aniodhlann.org.uk/tag/518_squadron/
      https://www.wikiwand.com/en/No._518_Squadron_RAF
      https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/raf-518-squadron-coastal-command-480919770

• By Smithsgold
      The historic mining area includes a museum in the miner's bunkhouse, the Mohawk Stamp Mill, Bushman five-stamp mill, stables, a blacksmith shop, and the Assay office.
      Located in Plumas County, California, USA
    • By Jimmy M
      .... what an old Fortyniner did when he struck it rich panning for gold near Placerville (aka "Hangtown") California circa 1849 or 1850. Tired of eating grizzly bear, deer, and biscuits, he went to the Cary House Hotel Restaurant in Placerville, and asked what were the most expensive food items available. "Eggs, oysters, and bacon" was the answer. The Argonaut ordered up an omelet made of those items, which became known as "The Hangtown Fry." It has become the most "iconic" food item from California Gold Rush. HH Jim
    • By rled2005
      Just thought I would share this picture!😲

• By geof_junk
      I came across an old letter about metal detector I sent to a mate,
      "My first detector was a hired Whites 5000. I got a new Garrett Deepseeker for the September school holidays 1980, for my wife. It was too hot (weather) in wedderburn for her during the first summer and I ended up with it. Got her a whites coinmaster 6000 for the next trip as it had motion discrimination and was easier and quieter in the hot ground. It took a while for me find any detector that exceeded the Garretts. However I found that my White goldmaster (1986 ) was much easier to use in the Victorian gold fields. I made a PI detector with a hand made Teflon coated wire coil before 1986 that would go deeper than the Garrett Deepseeker but was too slow to use in the field and I did not like the sound of the clicking sensor. .........."
      Do you have fond memories of your first one (detectors that is 😀)