How To Find Old Parks

So I did a search and didn't find what I was after. What I would like to figure out is how to find old places to coin shoot. I guess parks would be a easy point to start.

1. How to find the age of a place.

2. How to find old places that might be abandoned or reused.

3. General techniques of selecting a place to look for old coins.

Example I live in Reno with Steve ( probably why I don't find good nuggets or coins). Steve got some great coins as of late and I can't find older than 70 decade. Now I could go to tahoe but that is a drive and I would like a few local spots to take my kids that like treasure hunting, that is what they call it. So I tried figuring it out, no dice. I don' mind doing the work, just need the formula.

I was hoping that the veteran shooters had a method to their research and selection process.

Thanks for the help.

Try the local library.  Tell a librarian your 1 & 2 above, even #3 if you word it differently.  They love helping people find information -- that's why they became librarians in the first place.

• Like 3

Just go to the oldest areas of town and the parks that are in the old areas. I also hunt sidewalk strips, schools where I can get access to something not fenced off, etc. Older maps are helpful and available online.

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Reno

FYI the city of Reno requires a permit to metal detect in Reno parks. The permit is free. To obtain one, go to the maintenance office at Idlewild Park. The permit is currently good for three years. There are some restrictions like certain ball fields being off limits.

• Like 2

Went out for about an hour pulled 2.80 in clad. I used Steve's notching setup to do it. 

I found a few 70 coins and two 60 coins. I pulled out a 65 quarter and though I had a silver? then I remembered it stooped in 64. 

8 hours ago, Stephen newell said:

Went out for about an hour pulled 2.80 in clad. I used Steve's notching setup to do it. 

I found a few 70 coins and two 60 coins. I pulled out a 65 quarter and though I had a silver? then I remembered it stooped in 64.

If you're confident you have a site with pre-1970 activity (preferably pre-1960) then you just need to put in the hours.  Part of that is learning the Eqx.  The other part is spending the time 'mowing' the site to find the old coins.  This year my old coin (mostly Wheaties) find rate is about 1 per 3 hours of hunting.  Obviously good sites will produce much better.  It's like fishing -- you often have to make a lot of casts before you land a nice one.  Persevere.

• Like 3

I generally use these sites then library 

https://www.historicaerials.com/

Sanborn maps

Most states have old topo and county road maps that will show schools, churches and homes. Our county ag extension office has aerials from the 1940’s. Lots of information out there.

Research will up your odds in finding that good spot.

• Like 4

I use Historicaerials A LOT.  I don't know about your area but down here in Los Angeles, the aerial photos date back to the 40's and 50's which means.... Mercs, Rosies and Wheaties. I use it mainly for parks and lots. Use the slider tool to go back and forth to view present and past. It works great!! Good luck !!