Sign in to follow this  
DolanDave

Holbrook Arizona Meteorite Hunt

Got out to Holbrook Arizona to hunt Meteorites with a few friends. Ended up with 168 Grams of meteorites, a few coins and items from the railroad. Eyeballed the meteorites, and used the Equinox 800 for the items. The Equinox 800 would hear the LL/LL6 Holbrook meteorites with no discrimination. As soon as I put discrimination on, I could not hear the meteorites. I could not hunt with discrimination off because of all the trash on the side of the railroad tracks...

Dave

Holbrook2 AZ 5-20-18.jpg

Holbrook AZ 5-20-18.jpg

• Like 8

DolanDave,

Nice to see someone finding something valuable with the Naked Eye.  The only detectable objects I've been able to find so far with a metal detector on the Island I live on are all from recent logging activities.

I did manage to spot this though:

DSCN3053.JPG

• Like 1

Kodiak,

That is an awesome find... Ill trade you ... hehe...

Dave

Dave, you had an amazing trip. Congratulations! You have a great eye to pick out all those beauties.

I am not sure why you can not pick up the meteorites with the EQ when you have discrimination turned on. Some search modes do silence the ferrous targets but if you push the horseshoe button to all metal mode the meteorites should be loud and clear.

5 hours ago, Kodiak said:

DolanDave,

Nice to see someone finding something valuable with the Naked Eye.  The only detectable objects I've been able to find so far with a metal detector on the Island I live on are all from recent logging activities.

I did manage to spot this though:

DSCN3053.JPG

Well, I think anyone could have spotted the PBR on the surface. 😜

• Haha 1

You really scored, Dave.  Did you use a magnet for the meteorites?  Were you mostly close to the tracks or wandering in the fields? 

Nice coins too!

fred

13 minutes ago, fredmason said:

You really scored, Dave.  Did you use a magnet for the meteorites?  Were you mostly close to the tracks or wandering in the fields? 

Nice coins too!

fred

Thanks Fred, about 200 feet from tracks. The rains bring out new ones to the top. Magnet fishing 😉. I continued on to Glorieta, NM. to hunt Palasites for 4 days , but that is another story ....

Dave

• Like 1

My NOT lunar NOT meteorite from Oman (darn you Dr. Korelev of Washington U.) - and an ”eyes only” find

731DEE75-7ED4-43AE-93BC-E11E0C1C843C.png

199A812C-957A-4EDB-A7B3-777B446CF94A.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

My NOT lunar NOT meteorite from Oman (darn you Dr. Korelev of Washington U.)...

Rick, would you mind going a bit more into detail about what you meant here.  Feels like something you expect a lot of people to understand, but it missed me.  Thanks.

Thanks, Dave!

Rick, What kind of fossil is that?

The stone looks out-of-place but not meteoric to me....

fred

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ColonelDan
      In a previous post of mine, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches.  It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need.
      The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors.   Why?  As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics.
      If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.
      If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030.  However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgspduZA_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be
    • By Rosemary
      Need help. My equinox 600 doesn't change discrimination patterns when I switch detect modes. I am always in all metal mode. My boyfriend has the same machine and his changes with each mode...he doesn't know why mine does not. I can't figure it out...help please.
    • By sdbirder
      I was having a relatively slow morning detecting at La Jolla Shores Beach in San Diego today, about $1 in clad and a euro coin when a young woman came up asking for help finding a ring. She was frantic and her husband was second guessing, saying it must be at home and asking when was the last time she saw it? She kept insisting it was here right here, next to the seawall. With just a couple swipes of my Equinox 800/15" coil I had it in the scoop. She was ecstatic and gave me a big hug. I've always dreamt of finding a big expensive engagement ring whilst detecting. I've gotten a few gold bands but nothing like this! I obviously didn't get to keep it, but it seemed to bring some good karma to the day and I found two large silver rings shortly afterward. She insisted on getting my info and address so I might be getting a reward or thank you letter later. Here's a couple pics of the expensive ring, the happy owner and the two silvers I got afterward.

• By GlazedTofu
      Been out awhile end of year at school has kept me busy. 
      Thought it would be interesting to hear everyone’s favorite go to.
      I primarily hit coal mining ghost towns and run 
      Nox 600 
      Field 1 and 2 all metal 50 tone
      sens 16-20
      recovery 3 
      IB-0
      I try new setups but end up back to where I started, some days are better than others.
      hope everyone is getting out and enjoying!

• By snakejim
      Is there anyone still hunting for meteorites in this area? I'm in Roswell and spoke to Skip Wilson (famous meteorite hunter in Portales, NM), years ago. I just never found time to go look myself.
    • By LE.JAG
      Hi,
      you may already be talking about it, but I still put some photos
      two large meteorites discovered in France

the first goes back to 2010  (Mont-Dieu)
      on an old impact site, in the forest
      who gave a few years ago a 435 kilos (1994)
      it is 364 kg / discovered by a prospector with a PI (siderite)

and another discovery late 2018
      again, on a known impact site (since 1968)
      it is the biggest piece discovered to date and the reccord of France
      477 kg / contains 11% nickel
      discovery also with a PI

with this piece of 477 kilos and all the others discovered since 1968
      the impact site to deliver nearly 6 tons ...