Holbrook Arizona Meteorite Hunt

Got out to Holbrook Arizona to hunt Meteorites with a few friends. Ended up with 168 Grams of meteorites, a few coins and items from the railroad. Eyeballed the meteorites, and used the Equinox 800 for the items. The Equinox 800 would hear the LL/LL6 Holbrook meteorites with no discrimination. As soon as I put discrimination on, I could not hear the meteorites. I could not hunt with discrimination off because of all the trash on the side of the railroad tracks...

Dave

Holbrook2 AZ 5-20-18.jpg

Holbrook AZ 5-20-18.jpg

• Like 8

DolanDave,

Nice to see someone finding something valuable with the Naked Eye.  The only detectable objects I've been able to find so far with a metal detector on the Island I live on are all from recent logging activities.

I did manage to spot this though:

DSCN3053.JPG

Kodiak,

That is an awesome find... Ill trade you ... hehe...

Dave

Dave, you had an amazing trip. Congratulations! You have a great eye to pick out all those beauties.

I am not sure why you can not pick up the meteorites with the EQ when you have discrimination turned on. Some search modes do silence the ferrous targets but if you push the horseshoe button to all metal mode the meteorites should be loud and clear.

5 hours ago, Kodiak said:

DolanDave,

Nice to see someone finding something valuable with the Naked Eye.  The only detectable objects I've been able to find so far with a metal detector on the Island I live on are all from recent logging activities.

I did manage to spot this though:

DSCN3053.JPG

Well, I think anyone could have spotted the PBR on the surface. ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fredmason said:

You really scored, Dave.  Did you use a magnet for the meteorites?  Were you mostly close to the tracks or wandering in the fields? 

Nice coins too!

fred

Thanks Fred, about 200 feet from tracks. The rains bring out new ones to the top. Magnet fishing ?. I continued on to Glorieta, NM. to hunt Palasites for 4 days , but that is another story ....

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

My NOT lunar NOT meteorite from Oman (darn you Dr. Korelev of Washington U.)...

Rick, would you mind going a bit more into detail about what you meant here.  Feels like something you expect a lot of people to understand, but it missed me.  Thanks.