Highbanker Cleanout Opinions

what are your opinions on highbanker cleanout times? I like to clean it out after about 10 buckets, of course it depends on the type of material, and how the riffles are running. a friend says he does it at the end of the day, end of the day for us would be 80 to 100 buckets. 

If your setup is operating as it should, I would go for longer periods between cleanups. The amount of time and gold you loose while adjusting angles, flows, riffle size, feed rates, matting ----- is worth it to have your equipment operating at it"s fullest potential.

As Klunker says, but I would judge clean out time on how compacted riffles get with heavies like black sand. When they are getting full it's time for a clean up.

If your box is working correctly, clean up when the top 3" is full of gold.  Black sands should work themselves out of the riffles.  If your riffles fill up with BS, you got problems.

I've seen areas where there was so much BS that 2 gallons of material would fill the riffles.  I finally had to use a Gold Cube to deal with the BS.

black sand is the problem. I'm running 4 inches of drop and full water pump out put. when the riffles pack up I feel like if I don't clean up I'll lose gold. do you guys think I should increase the drop. using 1 inch per foot now. and thanks for the replys.

I've encountered bs issues also. Clean up more often! 5 gallon bucket your cons. Go through them at home. No sense wasting your time in the field messing with them. I always check my inspection matting to see if you are still in the paylayer.

Remember don't put too much drop on the sluice. Or too much volume of water thru it. A too steep sluice will lose fines. Also stopping and starting a power sluice, gold will drop down the riffles. So avoid that if possible.

What I'm saying about that is. Lots of people shut down the highbanker to many times to see what gold the might have in the box. The box then looses all of it's water. Then they poke around the box, looking for gold. Then start it up again, big rush of water. Your fines go blowing out the end. Nothing wrong with my sluice. Just me.

I like to get set up and go as long as possible with out interruptions. I do pan my tailing pile when in doubt.