Nox Detecting Question

I spent today at the oldest high school in this big city. I took peoples recommendations and stuck to Park 1, GB, and Noise cancel. lowered the sensitivity down to about 18 and was able to hunt with a little less chatter. Still a lot of random signals but was able to find a few modern clad. Maybe there is just nothing here but the only thing I have found under about 4 or 5 inches is a large rusty pipe lol of course that sounded like a coin signal. The jury is still out but so far Im not seeing anything my Deus doesn't do just as well.

Im not knocking it, I still have to put more hours on it, just cant wait to see this thing show me it works any better than the Deus after how long I waited for it lol

Honestly, the Equinox has done no better than the Deus in coin shooting trashy, modern parks for me.  I was not seeing anything special until I took it to wet salt sand and there the Deus cannot hold a candle to it.  The gold, silver jewelry, deep nickels, and old deep coins I have recovered during the off season have blown my socks off.  Add to that some spectacular relic and old silver finds in both mild and hot soil conditions, and the Deus has not come out to play recently except in small park/ball field coin shooting sessions where I don't need a lot of attention drawn to myself.  

After you get used to the Equinox, challenge it where the Deus has had issues and you might be surprised at what it can do.  After all, the Deus can coin shoot in trash just fine and that is not what I got the Equinox for.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TedinVT said:

Two possibilities for never having seen a negative number:

1. You don't have all metal mode enabled - the “horse shoe” button.  The “horse shoe” button enables / disables iron discrimination.  You may have iron discriminated out.

2. Your coil is not over iron.  Find a chunk of iron.  Play with the horse shoe button.

If you don't see negative numbers over iron after that you may have an equipment problem.

Good points, but on your #2, I suggest testing with small pieces of iron such as nails.  Large iron will give high readings -- nickel range and higher.  Still a good idea to test those but don't interpret a positive ID on large iron as a detector problem.

• Like 2

I've also seen nails ID readings at or just above nickel range.

Found two silver quarters and both were music to my ears and reading 32,33.  I felt like I was doing a recovery speed test all day. Wish there was more silver but it was all iron ore pellets and all reading a solid 1. Maybe had some kind of flux in them? I did occasionally get negative numbers when horseshoeing.  Was most fun detecting yet. Maybe it was the silver thing, but there were iron ore pellets right next to each of the quarters with just moist black dirt between them and solid rock below them.  But the difference between 1 and 32 is steep!  It took me a good 15 minutes to get the Nox to settle down when I first started there. I had sensitivity knocked down to between 15-17 all morning and it seemed to help me hear a clear difference between items better. Everything was shallow due to ledge. I used the lifting of coil thing I read about here and it helped me avoid looking at the depth meter that I just haven't figured out yet. Also cleared up some confusing numbers couple times.  I've even tested gold mode for a depth finder using audio.  

My phone doesn't bother the Nox very often..  But I think if it switches to 4g, or is in 4G and then switches to LTE the Nox will freak and might explain why it's not always causing trouble. The only time it has happened is when I'm near fringe phone coverage range.  Requires a restart.  I leave the phone off or airplane mode now to just avoid it.  It's more peaceful that way anyway.  Still learning and appreciate all the tips everyone is sharing.  This thread was another good one.

• Like 3

JustSwell,

Bingo, you discovered a key point that is hard for many folks obsessed with depth to grasp (not saying you are in that category). Specifically, that when detecting, less is often more when it comes to sensitivity and filtering.  If you know your targets are going to be shallow by natural ground conditions (e.g., a shallow "bottom" of hard clay or bedrock beneath the thin top soil layer) and/or if you are hunting amongst thick trash or natural undesirable "noise" type targets such as what you were encountering, it just makes sense to back off on sensitivity and filtering (such as iron bias that can mask nonferrous keepers hiding in thick Iron trash) and let Equinox take over with its superior recovery speed and target separation.  It's OK to sacrifice depth to maximize your ability to recover those shallow targets in the trashy sites (in some cases, it is not even a sacrifice because the targets can't even naturally go deep).

Steve H has stressed this several times regarding the Equinox, the Equinox is plenty powerful enough to get you a strong target signal under most conditions, but it's strength really lies when you are able to consistently set up the machine to run as quiet as possible such that you maximize the signal to the maximum extent while minimizing the noise.  In other words, maximizing the Signal-to-noise ratio.

• Like 5