phrunt

What Is This Gold Detector?

Posted (edited)

Interesting to see how they go with the ATX.

Edited by phrunt
too much rambling :)

I had the infinitum  and it started to act erratic after a year. Garrett used inferior wire cable, speaker wire to be exact and they pulled it thru cheap plastic housing. I sold it and bought the Xterra 705. As for the ATX I ran into a guy out gold detecting who had one and he let me do a quick test with it and in my opinion it is a repackaged infinium. Garrett seems to have done that a lot with their detectors since 1980. The gypsies should have stayed with Minelab.  I would be willing to bet they end up with less gold than the previous season. I bet Garrett was a little pissed that everyone was using Minelab and they cut a deal with the gypsies, payed them off to use their atx.

Minelab certainly holds its own in the gold detecting world across the board. Absolutely no doubt about that. IMHO.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goldseeker4000 said:

I had the infinitum  and it started to act erratic after a year. Garrett used inferior wire cable, speaker wire to be exact and they pulled it thru cheap plastic housing. I sold it and bought the Xterra 705. As for the ATX I ran into a guy out gold detecting who had one and he let me do a quick test with it and in my opinion it is a repackaged infinium. Garrett seems to have done that a lot with their detectors since 1980. The gypsies should have stayed with Minelab.  I would be willing to bet they end up with less gold than the previous season. I bet Garrett was a little pissed that everyone was using Minelab and they cut a deal with the gypsies, payed them off to use their atx.

First episode they found more than the previous year 😀 but put that down to a better claim, they haven't even pushed the ground yet, I assumed they had sold the Minelabs to downgrade to get some cash, didn't think of sponsorship but that makes sense.

• Like 1

Second episode just aired, I'll watch it later.

The only thing that matters is; are they bringing that hard working blond in oz shorts back?

just kidding

The episodes I watched did not display great detecting skills....hopefully they have improved on that.  I wish them lots of success.

fred

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, fredmason said:

The episodes I watched did not display great detecting skills....hopefully they have improved on that.  I wish them lots of success.

My thoughts too Fred.

34 minutes ago, fredmason said:

The only thing that matters is; are they bringing that hard working blond in oz shorts back?

You mean the Canadian lass that worked for the Dirt Dogs? 👍  And I bet you weren't kidding :biggrin:  

Good luck out there

• Like 1

uh huh, no match for Parkers little number, oh yea, I'm up to that episode now.... Aussie Gold Digger :laugh:

Well, As you probably know I was wondering why the Gold Gypsies were using the Garrett ATX over their Minelab's they used last season on Aussie Gold Hunters, fortunately, I've been able to get an answer directly from them as to why, and no, it wasn't sponsorship like I suspected

See Here

http://community.paydirt.co.nz/t/aussie-gold-hunters/2755/6

Aussie Gold Hunters is much better than Gold Rush, more realistic and great to see metal detectors in action. You’ve been my favourite team in it.

It maybe a bit bold of me asking, but why are you now running an ATX over your Minelabs? Was it sponsorship or do you have a performance based reason for the nuggets you’re getting?

Thanks

45.png

Hi Simon we decided to use Garrett ATX in the show because we have been doing Garrett training days and really wanted to learn more about the detector.

Found it extremely stable on hit ground to our surprise but Chris did find it a heavy machine to use and the volume was too quiet for us.

There was no deal done, we just thought it was good to have some opposition to just Minelabs being used in the show. I do think it’s funny that Minelab advertise during the show and there we are using Garrett’s and getting some nice results.
But that’s what happens when there is no sponsorship deal, we can use any manufacturer of metal detectors if we like to. Would like to hear more feedback about the show guys

Cheers Chris n Greg

• Like 4

Well done Simon. I am glad you put that up. Cheers. I see the Gold Gypsies didnt even feature in the 3rd episode. No sponsorship deal with Garrett......really makes me scratch my head now as to why they have chosen the ATX when they had minelabs.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      My VLF detectors are rapidly sorting themselves out and I am satisfied I am doing about as good in that regard as can be done. There really is only one area of metal detecting left that is bugging me.
      The Garrett Infinium was the first waterproof ground balancing PI and not a bad first effort. White's TDI might have improved on it but White's never did a waterproof TDI. Surprisingly, Minelab has never done what I would consider to be a true waterproof saltwater beach hunting PI. The SDC 2300 really is a prospecting detector first and second. I finally ended up with the Garrett ATX, which currently sets the bar for a waterproof ground balancing beach and water detector.
      Yet the ATX housing was designed more for military use than beach detecting. The coils are overly expensive due to an integrated rod design. Worse, the detector weighs in at 6.9 lbs and cannot be hip or chest mounted.
      In a sign of faith I am going to sell my ATX and wait on whatever First Texas has in the works. As Rick Kempf posted here previously, First Texas hired Alexandre Tartar and purchased the rights to produce a version of his Manta PI Project. And to quote First Texas engineer Carl Moreland from this thread "Yes, we've hired Alexandre. Yes, we are working on PI. I was personally working on PI before hiring Alexandre, but now we are seriously working on PI."
      Another thread with Fisher Manta details
      Fisher has not made a PI since the Fisher Impulse was discontinued back around 2013. This collaboration with Alexandre Tartar gives me hope that First Texas can get something out in the next year or two. My bar is low - a waterproof ground balancing PI at least as good as the ATX in a more ergonomic package. Seems fairly doable. Another company that may come out of nowhere all the sudden is Nokta/Makro as we know they are working on a PI. I don't know, but I think this is First Texas' game to lose at this point. So there you go, ATX going up for sale and a spot held open for whatever company can meet the challenge. Good luck First Texas - I am rooting for you!
      https://youtu.be/G8sdp4RG73g
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      The following is a compilation from my Rutus testing and useage.
      Very long, but anyone wanting some info, this here may help folks.
      Btw to my knowledge currently no dealers for this detector line in USA.
      They can be purchased from abroad.
      The Rutus Alter 71 may not be very well known, but make no mistake a very good detector for what they cost.
      There is some comparison info too with other detector models.
      Enjoy
      Overall weight and feel of unit is IMO nice,,not heavy feeling.
      Both coils.
      Btw. Concentric measures 8.125" outside to outside diameter.
      Supposed 11" dd measures 11".
      I even with little time I have run this unit,,this unit designed to be a Deus killer for the $$$.  Question is, is it??
      Using concentric coil user likely not to dig steel bottle caps, hodograph paints a good pic of junk target,,a backwards C in the meter. Haven't tried DD coil yet to see what happens here.
      Depth is dependent on mask setting,,meaning for fringe depth the lower the better.
      Interesting how they gave a user options here to have their targets ID in the meter.
      Three choices real-- ID is directly reflective of frequency run and conductivity of target.
      Then 2 other options,,you can select either 6khz or 12khz for target ID normalization.
      So with saying all this here is some data using each of the above selections for target ID.
      I should say the Rutus uses a different scale when comparing to most other detectors-- 0-120.
      Some data
      Real ID option selected and frequency selected on detector at max 18.4khz
      Nickel....79
      Clad dime..110
      Zincoln penny..103
      Copper penny..110
      Clad quarter..114
      Normalized setting of 6khz selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
      Nickel..52
      Clad dime..94
      Zincoln penny..80
      Copper penny..94
      Clad quarter..105
      Normalized setting of 12kh selected,,detector still set to 18.4khz
      Nickel..66
      Clad dime..105
      Zincoln penny..95
      Copper penny..105
      Clad quarter..112
      Frequency changed on detector to 7khz,,real ID option selected
      Nickel..55
      Clad dime..99
      Zincoln penny..86
      Copper penny..99
      Clad quarter..107
      Frequency still at 7khz,,6khz normalization selected
      Nickle..54
      Clad dime..98
      zincoln penny..85
      Copper penny..98
      Clad quarter..107
      Frequency still at 7khz,,12 khz normalization selected
      Nickel..68
      Clad dime..108
      zincoln penny..99
      Copper penny..107
      Clad quarter..112
      Preliminary test using 3D test with coin and nails,,detector seems above average with what I see,,,Deus like results,,,not giving either detector yet no advantage,,with time maybe.
      Audio,,,Rutus audio not as smooth as Xp Deus,,not as blendy sounding,,leans more toward what I call beeps.  This is not meant to say Rutus audio is terrible or anything.
      I am still trying to nail down how I want my tones set up using the user programs,,,not there yet.
      Does take time though,,user must select each number TID wise and singularly adjust,,,no blocking of groups of tones to adjust.
      I do reserve the right here to correct anything I say about this detector in the future.
      From what I can tell right now,,Rutus will retain settings when turned off.
      Turn back on,,user will need to ground balance though.
      Also what ever you have selected,,this is where the cursor will be when you go back in and open menu-- not sure if this happens if you turn detector off though.
      Now,,here is where other manufacturers like White's should be paying attention,,Xp as well.
      I have read countless Internet forum threads and post associated with just when does the White's V3i and even the Vx3 model need to be ground balanced.
      Rutus depending on what you change setting wise will give you ground balance prompt.
      This is exactly what White's should have done on the 2 models I mention here.
      Xp Deus,,you change freqs,,ground balance doesn't carry over,,should be a prompt..
      Now detector companies,,if they do this for future models,,,they could offer a way to override the prompt,,so it doesn't appear in screen.  This might be more handy for someone say who is more experience with the detector in question.
      Emi,,this detector ranks right up there as being one of the quietest I have run for Vlf,,,even runs as quiet IMO as CTX and etrac,,and DST Fisher units.
      Now this from judging in 2 different places with loads of light wires,,and a few transformers.
      I should also say,,this concentric coil I received with Rutus is the very first one I have ever owned,,I did run a gents White's XLT with concentric some 6 years ago for around 15 minutes.
      Navigating around using Rutus is different,,but not hard,,just gotta get used to it.
      Unit seems to ground balance nicely here in my soil.  
      More to come.

• By Reg Wilson
      Lanny, there is a super light weight PI built here in Australia, at a good price. I use one and love it. Unfortunately it is not yet available in the USA. It is called the QED. It is being constantly improved by the dedicated inventor. Hope one day you will be able to get one.
    • By eftihis09
      Does anyone have information about the Goldseekers VLF 12000 metal detector? Manual, spare parts...

• By Metaldetectingisfun
      i BOUGHT THIS TO USE AS A PRE-DIG PINPOINTER