Sign in to follow this  
Dan(NM)

Potential Problems Using A Dust Cover In The Summer

I was hunting today with a rain/dust cover on the Nox, in 100-101 degree temps with the sun directly overhead. After 20 minutes my audio starts cutting out and sounding erratic. I notice my screen is looking bizarre, as you can see, every icon was lit up and there was no way to see a VDI at all. My first thought was the cover was acting like a greenhouse and causing the housing to overheat. After about 10-15 minutes of taking it off, things began to look normal once again, within 30 minutes, completely back to normal. I have a Zagg cover on the screen, so, no dust cover for my machine during the summer months.

screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

After it cooled down, I was unable to adjust the iron bias setting. I did a factory reset and that took care of the issue.

• Like 2

I was out with mine in 90+ for 4 hours the other day with no problems but I certainly keep it in mind.

Great info

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. Posted on a FB Forum:

Hi all. I was out on the beach on the weekend getting to know the Nox and was chatting to a member from an MD forum for a bit. The detector was upright in front of me in the sun. After the guy left I dug a target right where we were standing (a bullet head) when I looked at the screen...it had a large oval-shaped dark spot that took up a large portion of the screen. At first I thought it was due to my sunnies but when I took them off the dark area was still there. I also noticed that all the icons/pixels were showing, even the ones that weren't active. I moved into the shade of a tree and took off the control box cover...the screen was very hot. I thought I'd cooked it but after turning it off for a couple of minutes, letting it cool down in the shade, and restarting it, everything was back to normal...phew! I should have taken a photo but it was very glarey.

I spoke to a ML Technician and he advised that monochromatic LCD screens are subject to being affected like that in high heat situations. Normally, with the movement of general detecting there wouldn't be a problem, but in this case the screen was static and facing directly at the sun for quite some time. No problems since, but I don't leave the screen directly facing the sun while static.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bash
      After a bit of a drought of finding cool coins with the Equinox, I found another V nickel detecting in the neighbors parking strip in between thunderstorms.  It was pretty worn and pitted, and not of any numismatic value, so I cleaned it up a bit.

• By Ridge Runner
      I find myself waiting again for something new they call Apex .
       I had been thinking about buying the Vanquish 540 pro pack but about the time I was going to pull the trigger on it another toy pops up. The trouble is I can’t have it today and not even tomorrow. Just like always I find myself in line waiting on something or someone.
       Well I’m not standing in line for nothing anymore.
       I’ve had a Nox 800 but sold it and I’m still kicking my butt for doing that . I had a detector that out shined all others and like said stupid sold it.
       Enough is enough so I called Rob and ordered a Nox 800 , 6” coil with a extra lower shaft and a MI 6 XP Pinpointer for my ORX .
       I ordered this just this past Monday and by 6 the next morning the check was in the mail. 
      I wish all of you the best that’s waiting on the Apex. Just mark me off that waiting list . Chuck 
    • By ColonelDan
      I was hunting at the beach yesterday and did my usual "dial it in" routine...adjusting F2, Recovery and Sensitivity using my test sticks to optimize my EQX 800 performance for that particular beach.

As I hunted, I got a strong tone of a high conductor and started to dig and dig and dig. I couldn't see or find the target but I knew it was still there...somewhere...the EQX said it was!

I finally narrowed it down to a certain pile of sand from the ever growing hole. Still couldn't see it but it was there among the brown sand...somewhere. Finally resorted to my Pro-Find 35 pinpointer. It rang up nicely but I still couldn't see this high conductor! I started to test small hand fulls at a time and finally...finally I saw a minuscule piece of wire on the edge of my hand. Could this be what all the fuss was about? YES. I measured the depth of the hole with the Pro- Find 35 and saw that it was approximately 8 inches!

I brought the wire home specifically to post this story about the importance of adjusting your detector to meet the conditions. When we change beaches, I "dialed in" my EQX again for that new beach and had to change the settings from that first beach where my EQX sniffed out that piece of wire. Conditions change and so must your settings....one size DOES NOT FIT ALL.

• By Andy Sabisch
      Wanted to see who was using the Equinox for prospecting and if you are, woudl you be willing to share settings and some find photos for the new Equinox Handbook that is getting ready to ship to the printer . . . will send a copy of the book when they come in if we can use them in the book.
      Send prospecting find photos or settings to asabisch@att.net
      Thanks in advance,,
      Andy Sabisch
    • By Bash
      Definitely copper, and in pretty good shape.  About 5 inches down, showed strong 24 -26 in all sweep directions. Nox 800.  Pretty stoked!

• By LukeJMG1986
      Hey all,
           So I just figured out that there was an F2 setting, I've been running the machine in FE. I'm in Northern California, with Moderate, to extreme soil conditions. My question is, does F2 perform better then FE, especially when hunting for coins in trash infested areas? I watched a few videos, but had a hard time coming to a conclusion. Any input on these settings would be greatly appreciated!