Potential Problems Using A Dust Cover In The Summer

I was hunting today with a rain/dust cover on the Nox, in 100-101 degree temps with the sun directly overhead. After 20 minutes my audio starts cutting out and sounding erratic. I notice my screen is looking bizarre, as you can see, every icon was lit up and there was no way to see a VDI at all. My first thought was the cover was acting like a greenhouse and causing the housing to overheat. After about 10-15 minutes of taking it off, things began to look normal once again, within 30 minutes, completely back to normal. I have a Zagg cover on the screen, so, no dust cover for my machine during the summer months.

screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

After it cooled down, I was unable to adjust the iron bias setting. I did a factory reset and that took care of the issue.

• Like 2

I was out with mine in 90+ for 4 hours the other day with no problems but I certainly keep it in mind.

Great info

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. Posted on a FB Forum:

Hi all. I was out on the beach on the weekend getting to know the Nox and was chatting to a member from an MD forum for a bit. The detector was upright in front of me in the sun. After the guy left I dug a target right where we were standing (a bullet head) when I looked at the screen...it had a large oval-shaped dark spot that took up a large portion of the screen. At first I thought it was due to my sunnies but when I took them off the dark area was still there. I also noticed that all the icons/pixels were showing, even the ones that weren't active. I moved into the shade of a tree and took off the control box cover...the screen was very hot. I thought I'd cooked it but after turning it off for a couple of minutes, letting it cool down in the shade, and restarting it, everything was back to normal...phew! I should have taken a photo but it was very glarey.

I spoke to a ML Technician and he advised that monochromatic LCD screens are subject to being affected like that in high heat situations. Normally, with the movement of general detecting there wouldn't be a problem, but in this case the screen was static and facing directly at the sun for quite some time. No problems since, but I don't leave the screen directly facing the sun while static.