Sign in to follow this  
Dan(NM)

Potential Problems Using A Dust Cover In The Summer

I was hunting today with a rain/dust cover on the Nox, in 100-101 degree temps with the sun directly overhead. After 20 minutes my audio starts cutting out and sounding erratic. I notice my screen is looking bizarre, as you can see, every icon was lit up and there was no way to see a VDI at all. My first thought was the cover was acting like a greenhouse and causing the housing to overheat. After about 10-15 minutes of taking it off, things began to look normal once again, within 30 minutes, completely back to normal. I have a Zagg cover on the screen, so, no dust cover for my machine during the summer months.

screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Thanks for the heads up Dan. Mine has been up into the 90s with no problem but not seen over 100 yet - will soon however.

Operating Temperature Range.... -10°C to +50°C (+14°F to +122°F)
Storage Temperature Range....... -20°C to +50°C (-4°F to +122°F)
Charging Temperature Range..... 0°C to +40°C (+32°F to +104°F)

With cover on and at 100 degrees plus direct sunlight I can see it easily getting over the rated 122F max operating temperature.

After it cooled down, I was unable to adjust the iron bias setting. I did a factory reset and that took care of the issue.

• Like 2

I was out with mine in 90+ for 4 hours the other day with no problems but I certainly keep it in mind.

Great info

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. Posted on a FB Forum:

Hi all. I was out on the beach on the weekend getting to know the Nox and was chatting to a member from an MD forum for a bit. The detector was upright in front of me in the sun. After the guy left I dug a target right where we were standing (a bullet head) when I looked at the screen...it had a large oval-shaped dark spot that took up a large portion of the screen. At first I thought it was due to my sunnies but when I took them off the dark area was still there. I also noticed that all the icons/pixels were showing, even the ones that weren't active. I moved into the shade of a tree and took off the control box cover...the screen was very hot. I thought I'd cooked it but after turning it off for a couple of minutes, letting it cool down in the shade, and restarting it, everything was back to normal...phew! I should have taken a photo but it was very glarey.

I spoke to a ML Technician and he advised that monochromatic LCD screens are subject to being affected like that in high heat situations. Normally, with the movement of general detecting there wouldn't be a problem, but in this case the screen was static and facing directly at the sun for quite some time. No problems since, but I don't leave the screen directly facing the sun while static.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By calabash digger
      Depth and unmasking...

• By dewcon4414
      Heres one id like to see what others have found.    Today i was playing around on the beach with the Nox.   Havent had much time with it  so i thought id see how the F2 was working.    That got me playing around with disc.    What i noticed in disc ...... as i swung the coil it was knocking out the ferr like it should in disc....... HOWEVER i was getting these -1 and -2 iron blurps occasionally.  I also noticed it knocked out the TID for iron except those digits giving the blurps..... oddly.    Im an AM hunter on the beach.   What i did was ..... turned down the volume to 0 for targets 0 and below.    It seemed to work just like disc...... with two exceptions.   1.. you never got ANY sound from those -1 and -2 targets.   2..... the TID was still reading all the iron targets.    So.......out in the water i went hunting in AM target volume for iron set at 2.   Then id switch and go back...... doing it with disc....... then with iron volume at 0 using AM.   Far less noise from mineral...... but i got the same non-ferr targets just as clear.    I know people have asked if there is a difference between disc iron and turning the volume down to 0.   To me there seems to be some near target ID bleed that can create unwanted noise at that 0 disc point.
    • By Joe D.
      Hello everyone, 
       I'm recently new to the site, and was going through the threads, and can't find the one that talked about Equinox water intrusion! So I'm starting a new one! Several months ago i bought a silicone cover and battery compartment seal combo that seems to prevent the problem! But i can't find it on Ebay again! Hope you all will be more successful in locating this product! Here is a screenshot that i saved, and also a picture of the battery seal in place, and removed! I believe it came from the Ukraine! The cover comes with several silicone ties to secure any openings! So far it's worked well, but i have not dive tested! It would seem to me that the battery compartment is the weak link for water intrusion, other than the obvious wire entry points and caps! But this seals all points covered! Good luck and happy hunting!     Joe D.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Well out of the blue Doc or Doc's Detecting Supply of Las Vegas sent me a goodie bag with some product to look over. Thanks Doc! Before I begin I want you to know I did not request this stuff. In order to not look like I am trading favorable comments for gear I am going to use this stuff as prizes in various forum contests I have planned (best finds, etc.). All these goodies Doc sent me will be finding new homes in the near future so stay tuned.
      I already have a few of Doc's products. I have one of his original Swingy Thingy support harnesses from over ten years ago. I don't use it per se but it remains in my detecting kit at all time "just in case". This is cool because Doc sent me the latest version of the Ultra Swingy Thingy to look at, and they are light years apart. The old one is little more than a strap and bungee. The new one is a full harness system.

Original Swingy Thingy detector support harness
      I also have been using Doc's cover for the GPZ 7000 since the cover came out at the end of 2015. So I am already a little familiar with the product construction. I have not used my GPZ 7000 without that cover since the day I got it. It is a very well thought out protective cover system and I could not be happier with how mine has worked out.

Doc's protective cover system for the Minelab GPZ 7000
      Here is a look at the new covers for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and Minelab Equinox 600/800 models. The two covers are very similar.
      Before I forget, I want to mention that I always apply a stick on screen saver to my metal detector displays before installing any of these loose fit type pod covers. Dust and grit will get into the inside of these covers no matter what you do, and the dust between the inside of the covers and the screen can abrade the screen. I look at the pod cover as a protective cover for the entire pod, but not ones that eliminate the need for a screen protector. If you have gone without and had no issues that's great. I still recommend using separate screen savers and always apply them to my new detectors before they ever see the field.

Docs' cover for the Minelab Equinox (left) and Minelab Gold Monster 1000 (right)
      The Equinox cover is a two piece affair, with a cover for the display pod and the armrest cup. A new arm strap is included. The Gold Monster cover includes an additional item in the form of a small cover for the upright support post.
      Again, new arm straps included. For those that do not like using an arm strap Doc includes a couple small velcro stick tabs that allow you to attach the cover more firmly to the arm cup using the velcro tabs.

Closeup of armrest cover showing cordura nylon and stitching details
      Here is a little closer detail of the pod cover for the Minelab Equinox models...

Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Equinox metal detector
      The cover simply pulls down over the top of the pod once you disconnect the coil, then make the coil connection again once the cover is installed. Two velcro straps wrap around the bottom and back of the pod to pull it down and attach it firmly in place. Two velcro sticky tabs are included for those who wish attach the cover to the pod via internal velcro tabs. This could help keep the pod from shifting in place but most people won't need them. A nice touch is the little bit of stretch material forming a band that holds the charger cable more firmly in place while in use.

Equinox pod cover detail showing charger cable in place
      As you can see in the photo above I put the cover over the little cap and strap that protects the physical headphone port when not in use. I never use wired headphones out of water and so this worked for me, but if you wanted easy access to the headphone plug port you would want to route the strap over the cover instead of under it.
      The cover has two slots on each side to allow access to the Equinox pod side buttons. The thickness of the cover requires you push the tip of your finger into the slot to push the buttons, but this is easily done.

Side view of Equinox cover showing button access slots
      The Gold Monster pod cover is simpler, just pull over and secure with a velcro strap. As noted the Gold Monster cover set includes a cover for the upright battery compartment support post - see the first picture in the post.

Detail of Doc's pod cover for the Minelab Gold Monster 1000
      The bottom line is I found both these covers to be well designed and constructed. Visit the Doc's Detecting website for the latest information on pricing and availability.
      Doc included the latest version of his Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee. Earlier versions I saw had a kind of bolt on attachment for the detector rod. This latest version attaches to the detector with a velcro strap clip not unlike the one that comes with the Minelab GPZ 7000. I really like this type of attachment since it will work on any rod size with no issues. What makes Doc's bungee unique is the quick adjustments at both ends of the bungee.

Doc's Goldscreamer Brand Qweegle Bungee
      This is a nice stout bungee, and one that can be rigged to support almost any detector from any backpack or rucksack shoulder D-ring attachment point. However, for those in need Doc has made the Qweegle Bungee an integral part of the new Ultra Swingy Thingy harness.
      The Ultra Swingy Thingy is basically a large "Y" or yoke. One wide padded strap goes down your back and attaches to your pants at the belt line. The strap splits behind your neck and drops large padded straps over each shoulder.

Harness rear attachment point
      The front padded straps end in adjustable steel clips that attach the harness to the belt line of pants exactly the same way that suspenders work. There is also a front cross-strap at chest level to tie both sides of the harness assembly together for a snug fit. There are two super oversize rings on each shoulder, either one which can act as an attachment point for the Qweegle Bungee.
      Click photo for closer view...

Details of the Ultra Swingy Thingy Harness with Qweegle Bungee
      This, simply put, is a really great detector support system. Here is Doc's sales sheet below for the harness which has all kinds of details about the product.
      If anyone has any questions on any details of these items including any requests for any photo details - please just ask. And like I noted, all these items will be featured soon as prizes in various contest activities I plan on offering to stir up a little more action on the forums. Thanks again Doc for this surprise package. Keep up the good work filling in the gaps in available detecting gear for the avid detectorists among us! ?
      Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy - click image fr larger version

• By Ridge Runner
      As said I like both the Sport and the Nox face . The great thing about them as you hunt you can really look at the face of each and know what you have notched out . What makes the Nox even better over the Sport is you can notch out one number at a time .
       Oh I know the Nox has so many fine qualities over the Sport it will never have but like the Nox it has a pretty face .
       I don’t know why but a pretty face always tugs at my heart strings and a detector is no different.
       Chuck

White's MX Sport Display and Controls

Minelab Equinox Display & Controls