Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

Thanks Jim, but without JW I would have walked straight past that flake of gold, I didn't realise you need to smash up schist to find the gold inside, there are countless things he has taught me. I don't mind showing my journey although often embarrassing as I hope it helps others who aren't as fortunate as I am to have a friend who has spent years learning the art.

I looked today and I bought my first detector about 8 months ago, prior to that I had no knowledge of detecting or even knew the hobby existed except for my dabble as a child with a toy radio shack detector.

It's a bit like Mr. Miyagi and Daniel LaRusso in Karate kid, except John's not that much older than me, and a lot fitter 🙂  He's using the chop sticks to grab the tiny gold (flies) trying to teach me how to do it 🙂

I think it was seeing a rerun of Aussie Gold Hunters that got me to buy my first detector.  My wife and daughter say I have metal detector eyes, its rare we go out to do some shopping or for a walk in a park and I don't find a coin or two.  Just yesterday for example we were at a festival of lights in Queenstown at night and we said we'd go buy my daughter a treat at the shop before going to see the lights and on the walk I found the $2 coin required to buy her treat on the footpath on the way there. 🙂  It happens abnormally often.

Combined with the knowledge of an educated local and a forum like this with endless information on the subject and a bunch of people willing to help, I'm doing quite well. Very happy indeed.

I am sure to a lot of people here a .02 gram nugget is a laugh, but to me.. it's a milestone.  People say nugget hunting is the hardest form of detecting, especially where we are and the nuggets are known to be very tiny and few and far between.  I enjoy the challenge.

Simon

• Like 8

nice little picker simon

• Thanks 1

Good on you, Simon!  No one can control the size of their first (alone) nugget...there is plenty of reasons to be proud...which you enumerated very well.

One more thing, not one person was ever born knowing anything at all, especially us misfit, loner gold-hunters.

fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good for you Simon. 👍 That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:. Thanks too for all your kind words. :blush: Gosh...my head won't fit through the doorway now. Thanks too Jim for your kind words. It has been a pleasure helping Simon & I am sure we will share many more adventures. 

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks. Have just got back from a long weekend (public holiday monday, Queens Birthday) Mrs JW & I headed to the West Coast with the jet boat. Looking for pirate treasure. I know a story...... The weather was absolutely stunning, with snow low down in the hills. Crystal clear blue skies with heavy frosts first thing in the mornings. Rivers all very low with the snow holding the waters up in the hills. Grounded badly late on Saturday afternoon due to the very low water conditions & sun strike heading back down river. Wasn't a place we wanted to be caught out on in the dark. And it would have been pitch black & very cold if we were forced to stay the night in the boat. Luckily we made it back into deep enough water to get back to the launch site & back to our digs. It was very touch & go & a huge effort. But we made it. Went back up again on sunday. Went further up but we wouldn't have been able to go much further as the river really skinnied out. We left a bit earlier to avoid the sun strike but the glare on the water still made it very difficult to read the river. Scraped the bottom once & thought oh no not again. But managed to skim through it & keep on going. Bloody good fun though & scenery to take your breath away. Didn't find the pirate treasure & it has been two years in the making but not over yet.

Anyway. Congrats again Simon. How was your skiing? Bet it was packed. I think every man & his dog would have been up there. Except for me. :laugh:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Good for you Simon. 👍 That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks.

Thanks 🙂  I'm proud, and of all detectors the GBP! :laugh:

3 weeks without a detect? be careful you'll start to develop a twitch and it may not go away, or you might get hiccups that just stay for days until you power on the detector.

Sounds like your secret pirate treasure hunt although wasn't successful in finding the treasure this time was a super fun adventure.  Just the idea of it sounds great.

The weather has been stunning for a week or so now, every night -4 to -6 and a good frost with clear blue skies, it's just been frost on top of frost around here, it looks like snow, and there is snow forecast to hit here tomorrow and the next day so I suspect this lot my hang around for a while as our ground is frozen solid.

Skiing was great, it wasn't too bad as it was mostly just locals up there, the skiing tourists are yet to arrive as it was an early sneak peak ski day before the season kicks off but there is so much good snow I guess they felt they should open up.  I'm certainly no expert skier as I only took it up once moving back to NZ and this year is my first with a season pass, I just have to try keep up with my daughter :biggrin:, kids find these things so easy.  I am a bit disappointed though as I bought brand new 700 dollar ski boots a couple of years ago, barely used them, only 5 or so times and went to use them Saturday and they were broken! the plastic was brittle or something 😞

I was skiing along watching everyone falling over and thinking of all the coins falling out of their pockets and then the girl operating the lift when I was getting on asked me if I lost my car key as someone just handed in keys they found in the snow...   Then when going back to get lunch and seeing everyone pulling off their gloves, with their rings stuck to them 🙂, looking forward to a detect up there with the Nox at the end of ski season!

Simon 🙂

• Like 2

I stumbled across this TV Advertisement on Youtube advertising the Gold Bug Pro and Teknetics T2 to what I can only assume is the African Market.  Thought people might like to watch it.  I understand they're very popular detectors in Africa.

Part 2 of the Gold Bug Pro Ad, it was like a little mini series 🙂

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I wish I owned one of these 

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I with I owned one of these 

You had your chance the other week when I sent that link through to you on trademe. But I really think you have the high frequency VLF range pretty well covered. How many can you swing at the same time? I must admit...I have swung two at the same time. GB2 in one hand & the GM in the other. Trading blow for blow. Signal for signal. Would have looked like a right dick if someone had of seen me. I never thought of that at the time. :rolleyes: Mrs JW has conned me into going jet boating tomorrow. Bugger...was wanting to go for a detect. May be Sunday....

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Western & Eastern Treasures magazine does a Silver & Gold Annual issue and another customer of mine was featured. Many of you saw the photos posted earlier this summer. Some gobstopper saves/discoveries are in this issue, so I recommend you order one online. Congratulations to Duane and Sarah on their Golden Treasures and thanks for allowing me to earn your detector business again.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Despite all the noise about pulse induction (PI) metal detectors these days I firmly believe that in the United States most beginning and many professional nugget hunters are often better served with a good mid-frequency VLF. For beginners I think it is more important to master the real skills involved in prospecting before investing a ton of money in a metal detector. If you can't find gold with a $700 detector there is little point in investing thousands of dollars in a detector that still probably will not find the person any gold.
      Perhaps a PI is required in most of Australia but I have seen very few places in the United States where a good VLF will not work very well or at least well enough. Certainly in Alaska that is the case, where low mineral ground and smallish gold is the norm. Even locations where large gold lurks are so loaded with iron junk a PI detector has a hard go of it. It is nearly impossible to convince die-hard PI users to accept this until they experience it for themselves.
      One of the best detectorists I know has found hundreds of ounces of gold including two nuggets each weighing over a pound, all with a White's MXT. He also has a Minelab GPX 5000 and is very good with it. This last summer we hunted a lot together in junk infested tailing piles. I tended to use my GPX 5000 and he tended to use his MXT. We ran neck and neck for finds, and he detected less and dug way less junk than I. When all the shallow stuff is gone a PI shows its value with extra depth. But in target rich environments, especially ones filled with junk, a good VLF is a worthy choice.
      Let's set the VLF versus PI thing aside though and accept for the purposes of this article that VLF detectors are still a good choice for many people in the United States. I know for a fact I could own nothing but a VLF and do very well indeed. So what VLF to own?
      Two detectors stand out in their high operating frequency as dedicated nugget detectors, the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and White's GMT. I could make a great argument for why either of these detectors will eke out gold where other detectors fail and do it consistently enough that a skilled operator would be wise to own either one. However, I think overall a better case can be made that if a person had to own just one VLF detector, a mid-frequency model would be a better choice. There is much more versatility offered plus a better balance of performance on all ground types and all gold sizes than the hot high frequency models.
      The contenders from the "Big Five" brands? The Fisher Gold Bug Pro (also sold as Teknetics G2), Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, and White's MXT. All available for around $700 more or less. This is the choice I personally faced, and the decision took several years of use to settle. What follows is purely personal but I will explain why I ended up where I did.

Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold, Tesoro Lobo, White's MXT
      First up, the White's MXT. Simply a superb detector, and one that has found me pounds of gold. Yet I am just going to go ahead and blow White's off at this point! Why? The weight. I am sorry White's, but at 4.3 pounds the MXT is the heaviest detector in this slug-fest. I love what the detector does, but I am no longer willing to forgive detectors with poor ergonomic factors, weight being the most obvious. In the 21st century, the day and age of the iPhone, poor ergonomics is not acceptable. The MXT needs to lose a pound, plain and simple. So I sold my MXT after one particularly arm wearing day.
      Now the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ is a great beginners detector in that it is very easy to operate, but it also gets put aside. The detector is locked in ground tracking at all times while in all metal nugget mode. This is great for beginners but I personally find it unacceptable. I almost never use ground tracking systems as they mess with the signals from weak targets. If there was a locked or fixed mode it would be fine. Worse yet, the alternative discriminate mode has a factory pre-set ground balance. Sorry, fail. Just my opinion, but the Lobo is way overdue for an update after 16 years on the market.
      Garrett is to be commended for finally producing a waterproof detector that does not penalize the owner by weighing a ton and removing all the features. The AT Gold is a miracle in being waterproof and yet fully featured, with even the speaker being waterproof. And only three pounds with batteries! This detector is so wonderful I really do feel bad about taking a pass on it here also. Why? Sadly, the waterproof design also means special o-ring connectors for the coils and headphones. If you do not need the detector to be waterproof they are delicate connectors that collect dirt and require quite a bit of care to not mess up. The coil connection in particular is in a maddening location making it almost impossible to connect coils with bare fingers alone. A special adapter must be purchased if you want to have a choice in headphones. If you want waterproof the AT Gold is an obvious choice but I do not need waterproof for most of my nugget detecting.
      So down to two models, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold. Both under the magic 3 pound mark! Both with extremely powerful all metal modes. So powerful that in all metal mode these detectors give the PI units a run for depth in most ground on most gold in the US. This was tough for me as the X-Terra has a far richer feature set than the Gold Bug Pro and for many all around users would be the better choice. But I looked at both from strictly a nugget hunting perspective where those extra features are extraneous to the task at hand. It came down to this. In all metal mode the Gold Bug Pro is simultaneously and separately running in discriminate mode. The audio response is pure all metal, but you also get the probable target id, when possible, displayed on the screen. Very deep targets will have no target id, which is why we are using all metal prospect mode in the first place.
      The X-Terra 705 you can run in Prospect Mode or Discriminate Mode, but not both at once. This one thing leads to more efficient detecting with all the information you need on screen at once. The Gold Bug Pro gives you the target id, ground phase, and magnetic susceptibility reading all on screen at once while in all metal mode.
      ads by Amazon...
      That is how I settled on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro as my all around do everything nugget hunting model. It is not a coincidence it is also the lightest of the bunch at only 2.5 lbs with battery and 5” round DD coil and 2.7 lbs with the 5” x 10” DD coil. It is a basic unit that gets the job done, and that appeals to me. Plus, it does just fine for coins, relics, and jewelry if I wish. if I could improve only one thing it would be to swap the position of the target id and phase readout on the meter.
      I have to wrap this up by pointing out that these are all fine detectors. I can actually find gold about as well with all of them. The engineers have mid-frequency all metal detectors figured out, and in all metal mode these models are practically equivalent. Small nuances that help one model in certain ground cost it in another and it all evens out. So from a straight up all metal nugget hunting perspective I think a person can use any one of these detectors and be just fine. What differences there are show up far more when comparing discrimination features which are of little use to the nugget hunter.
      With that said, the final lesson in this article is that it is all the other factors a person should be looking at when making a choice. For me it was just lightweight basic operation. But if waterproof is important, the AT Gold is a no-brainer. The Lobo is very forgiving for beginners simply because it is locked in ground tracking mode. The MXT is a superior all-arounder, and the X-Terra has various tone schemes and notch discrimination features common on top-end detectors. You can make the case for any of them depending on your own particular needs and desires in a detector, and know you will be well served for basic all metal nugget hunting capability. We are lucky to have so many fine choices, all at very affordable prices.
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Finished work early today & had a few hours daylight up my sleeve so I headed out for a detect. I went back to the same spot that I got my last one piece from. I had unfinished business there. I was getting plenty of signals but none were gold. So I headed right to the spot where I got my last bit from, which was here in that bedrock crevice. 
      Notice the dead briar rose bush at the top left. Well I thought I got a very faint signal between that & that exposed bedrock, which has been ground smooth from glacial ice grinding over it many moons ago. Probably the same time as the gold was deposited.
      So I started to dig between that dead bush & the schist bedrock. The signal improved.
      But I needed to hack out that bush.
      Done & deepen the hole. Signal still in there. I was now breaking into & hacking out the schist bedrock. Has to be gold now.

Suddenly the signal was out &........
      Gold it was .52 of a gram
      I don't know how I missed that last time. I detected that area very slowly & carefully, same settings but for what ever reason I didn't get it before. But snagged it this time. It was the only one. So after a couple of hours of very careful detecting I moved on.
      Here is a pic of an old timers tailings race that they had hacked out of the schist bedrock. Now choked with briar rose bushes. This area in general is a glacially deposited boulder field. Some big suckers too.
      I moved off to another tailing race & exposed bedrock area & snagged a small piece of gold on the sidewall of a tailing race. I have hammered this area so was surprised to have got that one. I moved on to some deepish glacial gravels that the old timers had not sluiced away. got a few hot rock signals in these which sucked me in as they sounded good. But you have to investigate them. Here was one such dig. The two rocks at the top edge of the hole were hot rocks out of the hole, but there was still another signal in there. Could be yet another hot rock.
      But it wasn't.
      Ye Ha
      Had I of walked away from not only the first hot rock but even the 2nd I wouldn't have got that third signal in the same hole that turned into a piece of gold. Who said the Zed wasn't a magic wand.
      So there I had Huey, Duey & Louie.

Ended the golden day on a beautiful golden sunset. Time to walk on out & back to my wagon.
       Three for 1.18 grams
      Mrs JW has gone up north to visit family. So while she was away I pimped her ride. She doesn't know yet but she will he rapt. I E - biked her Mountain bike. So she can carry a detector up into the hills now too.  
      Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By Jonathan Porter
      Found this past weekend with the GPZ 19 coil at 2 measured feet.
      JP

20 grams 

• By Chris Ben
      Got out with my buddy Dave today to do some detecting. We had the plan to try a new area, and if that didn't pan out we would go back to the area I had had some luck the last 2 outings. 
      We struck out in the new area, and headed to the old one. I went out trying to expand on the new patch...no luck. Dave hung around the area where I found the patch 2 weeks ago. I started exploring a bit looking for good ground when Dave radioed me that he had found a couple nice nuggets.  I made a beeline to meet up with him, still working my GPZ when I hit a great mellow signal. Turned out to be a 2+ gram nugget and the start of a 5 nugget patch. Biggest being 3g. We had lunch a made another run for no luck, but a great day nonetheless. 
      My nuggets 6.4 grams

Dave's score, with a nice big nugget.  
      Chris 
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Yesterday Mrs JW & I went to scout some new ground. Found a very likely looking area but had no idea whose property it was. We decided to go to an old haunt that wasnt too far away. I called in to see the farmer to let him know we were there. I asked if he knew who the property owners were of the area I had the interest in. He did so he gave me a name & a phone number. Just happens to be the property next door to the large glass jar full of gold story I told on Simons gold/diamond ring find post. It was getting too late to make that contact & to go back to that property so we just stayed where we were & I detected on there. Got skunked with both the Zed & the Nox with the new 6" coil. Bugger.
      Come sunday I thought I would try to rectify that. Didnt travel too far from home & didnt get out until after midday. Was to a spot I hadnt been to since my GP 3000 days where I had got a few bits. I don't know why but there was just heaps of rubbish. I didn't recall this much rubbish back with the 3000. I had visions of another skunk. I started heading back towards my wagon & thought I would try one more spot that seemed very unlikely but there had been some mining activity here in the early days. There were a few remains of old tailing races & water ditches & a bit of bedrock showing. Was making hard work of it with just more rubbish & no gold to show. I got a signal over some bedrock & it lived on down a bit more than a lot of the rubbish targets had done. So I was getting a bit more confident. Hacking into a crevice & the signal was still in there.
      Finally it was out. Waved the magnet through the dugout pile where the signal was now coming from. Signal still there. Could have been a .22 shell casing like so many had been. Or its lead bullet head as others had been as well. But it wasn't.
      Looks a bit like a snake's head. 
      1.14 grams
      Beat the skunk. But that was it. But I was happy with that. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW