Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim Hemmingway said:

Congratulations Simon, you've done very well. The Goldbug Pro can find the small stuff too as you've just illustrated. It works out to 0.32 grains at an inch depth in schist, that's not bad at all. 

Yes JW is a very fine individual who has helped you a great deal. Glad to see you acknowledge him here despite that you found the site and nugget independently. I think that both of you are very fortunate, insofar as genuine, unselfish friendship is not so easy to find. 

WTG :cool:

Jim.

Thanks Jim, but without JW I would have walked straight past that flake of gold, I didn't realise you need to smash up schist to find the gold inside, there are countless things he has taught me. I don't mind showing my journey although often embarrassing as I hope it helps others who aren't as fortunate as I am to have a friend who has spent years learning the art.

I looked today and I bought my first detector about 8 months ago, prior to that I had no knowledge of detecting or even knew the hobby existed except for my dabble as a child with a toy radio shack detector.

It's a bit like Mr. Miyagi and Daniel LaRusso in Karate kid, except John's not that much older than me, and a lot fitter ?  He's using the chop sticks to grab the tiny gold (flies) trying to teach me how to do it ?

I think it was seeing a rerun of Aussie Gold Hunters that got me to buy my first detector.  My wife and daughter say I have metal detector eyes, its rare we go out to do some shopping or for a walk in a park and I don't find a coin or two.  Just yesterday for example we were at a festival of lights in Queenstown at night and we said we'd go buy my daughter a treat at the shop before going to see the lights and on the walk I found the $2 coin required to buy her treat on the footpath on the way there. ?  It happens abnormally often.

Combined with the knowledge of an educated local and a forum like this with endless information on the subject and a bunch of people willing to help, I'm doing quite well. Very happy indeed.

I am sure to a lot of people here a .02 gram nugget is a laugh, but to me.. it's a milestone.  People say nugget hunting is the hardest form of detecting, especially where we are and the nuggets are known to be very tiny and few and far between.  I enjoy the challenge.

Simon

• Like 8

nice little picker simon

• Thanks 1

Good on you, Simon!  No one can control the size of their first (alone) nugget...there is plenty of reasons to be proud...which you enumerated very well.

One more thing, not one person was ever born knowing anything at all, especially us misfit, loner gold-hunters.

fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good for you Simon. ? That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:. Thanks too for all your kind words. :blush: Gosh...my head won't fit through the doorway now. Thanks too Jim for your kind words. It has been a pleasure helping Simon & I am sure we will share many more adventures. 

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks. Have just got back from a long weekend (public holiday monday, Queens Birthday) Mrs JW & I headed to the West Coast with the jet boat. Looking for pirate treasure. I know a story...... The weather was absolutely stunning, with snow low down in the hills. Crystal clear blue skies with heavy frosts first thing in the mornings. Rivers all very low with the snow holding the waters up in the hills. Grounded badly late on Saturday afternoon due to the very low water conditions & sun strike heading back down river. Wasn't a place we wanted to be caught out on in the dark. And it would have been pitch black & very cold if we were forced to stay the night in the boat. Luckily we made it back into deep enough water to get back to the launch site & back to our digs. It was very touch & go & a huge effort. But we made it. Went back up again on sunday. Went further up but we wouldn't have been able to go much further as the river really skinnied out. We left a bit earlier to avoid the sun strike but the glare on the water still made it very difficult to read the river. Scraped the bottom once & thought oh no not again. But managed to skim through it & keep on going. Bloody good fun though & scenery to take your breath away. Didn't find the pirate treasure & it has been two years in the making but not over yet.

Anyway. Congrats again Simon. How was your skiing? Bet it was packed. I think every man & his dog would have been up there. Except for me. :laugh:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Good for you Simon. ? That is excellent. Ye Ha. And it wasn't even with the 4500  :biggrin:

I haven't been for a detect for three weeks.

Thanks ?  I'm proud, and of all detectors the GBP! :laugh:

3 weeks without a detect? be careful you'll start to develop a twitch and it may not go away, or you might get hiccups that just stay for days until you power on the detector.

Sounds like your secret pirate treasure hunt although wasn't successful in finding the treasure this time was a super fun adventure.  Just the idea of it sounds great.

The weather has been stunning for a week or so now, every night -4 to -6 and a good frost with clear blue skies, it's just been frost on top of frost around here, it looks like snow, and there is snow forecast to hit here tomorrow and the next day so I suspect this lot my hang around for a while as our ground is frozen solid.

Skiing was great, it wasn't too bad as it was mostly just locals up there, the skiing tourists are yet to arrive as it was an early sneak peak ski day before the season kicks off but there is so much good snow I guess they felt they should open up.  I'm certainly no expert skier as I only took it up once moving back to NZ and this year is my first with a season pass, I just have to try keep up with my daughter :biggrin:, kids find these things so easy.  I am a bit disappointed though as I bought brand new 700 dollar ski boots a couple of years ago, barely used them, only 5 or so times and went to use them Saturday and they were broken! the plastic was brittle or something ?

I was skiing along watching everyone falling over and thinking of all the coins falling out of their pockets and then the girl operating the lift when I was getting on asked me if I lost my car key as someone just handed in keys they found in the snow...   Then when going back to get lunch and seeing everyone pulling off their gloves, with their rings stuck to them ?, looking forward to a detect up there with the Nox at the end of ski season!

Simon ?

• Like 2

I stumbled across this TV Advertisement on Youtube advertising the Gold Bug Pro and Teknetics T2 to what I can only assume is the African Market.  Thought people might like to watch it.  I understand they're very popular detectors in Africa.

Part 2 of the Gold Bug Pro Ad, it was like a little mini series ?

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I wish I owned one of these 

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

They was also had a Gold Bug 2 video, I with I owned one of these 

You had your chance the other week when I sent that link through to you on trademe. But I really think you have the high frequency VLF range pretty well covered. How many can you swing at the same time? I must admit...I have swung two at the same time. GB2 in one hand & the GM in the other. Trading blow for blow. Signal for signal. Would have looked like a right dick if someone had of seen me. I never thought of that at the time. :rolleyes: Mrs JW has conned me into going jet boating tomorrow. Bugger...was wanting to go for a detect. May be Sunday....

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By araratgold
      Gidday All,
      Just found a clip on my old hard drive taken in October 2015. I took my step daughter out for a swing in a paddock I had access to over near Maryborough, Victoria, Australia.
      First time that she had ever been out. To say she was excited is an understatement ! 
      Minelab GPZ 7000 in difficult / general.
      Cheers, Rick

• By 1864hatter
      So I managed to squeeze in another half day outing to my spot up in the mountains. More digging and moving boulders uncovered another 3 pieces of gold for 1.5g. The larger piece is 1g and is quite coarse / rough for this area. The black material is slowly being dissolved by hydrochloric acid. The first photo shows the creek. A little bit of water with a lot of boulders. Historically this creek has produced nuggets up to 12oz, I'm sure under one of the boulders there will be one for me. Will probably be a month before I get time for another look. I'm trying to finish building my house extension in my spare time and my two young daughters keep my busy.... 

• By phrunt
      Around this time of year I normally have some time away and go somewhere, lately I've tried to focus that on a bit of prospecting.  It's not that often I get a chance to take my Caravan out and get away as my daughter is always in School which ties us down but seeing it's school holidays at Christmas we took advantage of that and took off.  I went to a spot I knew I'd at least find some gold and is close enough to home that it's not a giant mission.  The weather started off pretty bad, it wasn't long after we arrived we had some snow, in the middle of summer!!!

Before I'd even arrived I was contacted by the NZ Minelab dealer asking if I wanted to go on a mission with him, I jumped at that opportunity.  He was going to take me to a couple of his creek claims to do some detecting.  Unfortunately Queenstown has been getting slammed with weather, I think the Aussie heatwave has pushed all the wild stuff across to us as our weather has been well.... weird.   Seeing the river was flooded too high for his 4x4 to get across he had a plan B and took me to some other claims he has on some creeks and we detected around there.  Unfortunately we had no luck with the detectors.  Possibly the gold was just too small in the area for them, he normally just dredges.  He put a pan down into the gravels and panned it out and it had a fair few flakes in it.
      The drive was pretty crazy, I'd never been into this area before.... You have to follow one of the worlds most dangerous roads, rental car companies ban their customers from using the road and I believe car insurance companies won't cover you if you have an incident on the road.

This is us driving it here, you'll see the little flat bit where the plant life is along that cliff side, there is a skinny little road there cut out of the rock, there were even areas with signs saying if it has rained recently don't pass this point as the cliff may come down, so of course we passed the point even though it rained bad the night before 🙂

It had a pretty crazy bridge, this bridge had a massive gully below it, a LONG way down.    All very old infrastructure, put there by the old gold miners I would guess seeing that's what the area was all about.
      As we got nearer to where we were heading the gold mining history became apparent

Then we arrived and I saw the cliff we had to climb down to get to the creek!!!!

Yup, that's it, we had to climb down there..........

Fortunately we made it, plenty of good bedrock to detect but no detectable gold to be found, the creek was in flood too.  Either way, it was a great adventure to a place I'd never been before.  By the way, climbing out was five times as hard as getting down, and we had to turn back at one point and take another route as we were stopped by a steep cliff face.  😮
      The weather had improved now but my Caravan's annex became as casualty of some strong wind and got a tear in it, my wife claims she can fix it so we ripped it down.  First time we'd used it, I don't like the effort it takes to put up so now with the better weather and no annex life was good.

Next up I decided I'd hit a creek I'd had VERY good luck in early on in my detecting, JW took me there and I got a few grams on my first time detecting properly.  I had high hopes after all the flooding some new gold had washed down, it's a pretty crazy fast flowing steep creek.  It's a public fossicking area so it's been hit pretty hard I'd imagine.  I'm not game to take my GPX or QED up this creek, I'd be too worried about falling over and dropping it in 😞

Some bits you just can't deal with and have to climb up the edges to get around them.

I stumbled across an anaconda, looks like someones been up to no good, no dredging allowed in public fossicking areas!

It's a nice creek to hang around in on a hot day.
      The last time I came to this creek I got pretty lost, I went up a cliff to get around a waterfall and couldn't find my way back down 🙂 This didn't happen this time, I was heading up the creek well, further than I'd ever been before.

I found this spot on the way, looks like someone had been attacking it digging behind the big rock, I couldn't find anything there.
      I then kept walking up the creek and got a iffy signal on the GM, mostly in the ferrous area but occasionally flicking to non-ferrous, it was annoying as it was under a fast flowing little waterfall, I had my hopes up, this one seemed real.  I dug down and down through the gravels and the target was still there but screaming out a solid non-ferrous signal, after some messing around I remembered I had my Garrett Carrot in my bag, got it out and pinpointed it in no time, down on a bedrock it was, I scooped it's area out and tipped it up on some ground beside the creek.

You can see in the photos how fast the water is flowing.

Amazingly something I've always wanted to find, an old Chinese Gold miners coin.  Even JW has never found one of these suckers.  The Chinese heavily worked this creek, they have nice neat stacked rocks regularly in spots along it.  They took a lot of time to stack their rocks neat and tidy.

It is broken but most of it's still there, a great find in my opinion.  If anyone can identify it I'd love to know more about it.  I don't even know which way is up 🙂
      I spent another day at the creek and found nothing more.  Time to go sluicing! I always take my pooch sluicing, he likes hanging about at the creek and enjoys the drive to the spot.

My wife helped find spots to sluice, shes quite good with a pan and if she had 5 or more flakes to a pan I'd try the spot out.

It wasn't long and she got these flakes.... all in one pan so I was excited, time to make a dam and drop in my A52S Sluice.

Dam built! a real masterpiece, it'd make a beaver proud. 🙂

and in she goes.  A good flow but not enough to take advantage of the A52S not needing classifying, bigger rocks kept getting stuck, bugger, extra work.

I dug my big hole where she got the test flakes and watched the gold appear in my indicator matting

Only the tiny bits stay in there but it's handy to know you're getting gold.
      I started the process late in the day and the dam building took most of the time so we ripped it out.

there's gold hiding in there.....

Four decent little nuggets too, just picked these out by hand.

Not bad for about 2 hours with the sluice in operation.
      We arrived back at the same spot the next morning to hit it again.

My hole got pretty big, I used the indicator matting to work out where to dig and followed the gold, it was in a line.  I couldn't get very deep, the rocks just made it too hard with my shovel, about knee depth was it.   I already had to move some massive rocks.  After about 5 or so hours my wife and daughter were more than ready to leave and I was tired so we called it quits.

This was the total.  My best ever sluice result, not bad for a public fossicking area.

The black sand gets annoying doing the cleanup, gold gets sucked up on the magnet with the sand too. I had to be careful.
      I spent about an hour or two on the trip coin detecting, mainly just when I had a small chance, I put minimal effort into it as I didn't have the time but checked out little spots as I had a chance.  I managed to find a silver ring, a gold ear ring and some coins.  A few dollars in modern coins my daughter got too but they're not in the photos, long spent 🙂

This was an unusual coin find, never found a coin from Chile before.

And now I'm home again, for a few days at least.  My next mission needs to be to go detecting with my QED/GPX as I'm desperate to use my 10" X-coil, I'm super excited about it after seeing how well it performs on my last mission with it.