Homemade Scuff Cover / Skid Plate

I got a second Equinox and that gave me a coil I could mess with since I now have a backup. I have not done this before and so can't vouch for this per se until I use it some more to see about longer term durability.

I started with Lexan Sheet - Polycarbonate - .030" - 1/32" Thick, Clear, 12" x 12" Nominal from Amazon $6.89 delivered. I was quite tempted to use 1/16" instead but Lexan is tough so on this first go I went with the thinner 1/32" to keep the weight down.

Outline with marker to create bottom cover slightly larger than coil itself - side protection for coil.

outline-home-made-scuff-cover-minelab-equinox.jpg

Cut out with fine tooth jig saw....

cut-out-home-made-scuff-cover-minelab-equinox.jpg

I chose E6000 as a sealant / glue because I have used this in the past for bonding plastics other glues won't bond. Still, I am not sure this is the best choice, but there you go.

glue-home-made-scuff-cover-minelab-equinox.jpg

Scuff up the smooth plastic surface (after removing protective film) then run a bead over all the coil bottom contact areas. I ran an additional bead around the little shelf created by the skip plate being about 1/8" larger around the exterior than the coil. Extra bonding plus a "bump cushion" against side blows from rocks.

Here is is after a little use. Smooth running, light - but does collect debris topside. Happy I did it so far.

home-made-scuff-cover-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 9

To save weight.

The stock coil with standard scuff cover installed weighs 524 grams

My coil with my homemade cover by itself installed weighs 528 grams - 4 grams heavier.

The Minelab 11" scuff cover by itself weighs 5.8 grams, so if I had glued to the original cover instead I would be closer to 534 grams.

minelab-equinox-open-coil-vs-solid-bottom-enclosed.jpg

• Like 3

Steve

I attached mine with velcro and after water hunting with it on I'm glad I did it that way as it makes for increased drag and a harder to control coil.  I took it off within minutes of getting in the water.  For field hunting in taller grass it's a dream.

Give it a try and see if you agree.

Tom

On 6/4/2018 at 2:46 PM, Jackpine said:

Steve

I attached mine with velcro and after water hunting with it on I'm glad I did it that way as it makes for increased drag and a harder to control coil.  I took it off within minutes of getting in the water.  For field hunting in taller grass it's a dream.

Give it a try and see if you agree.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I did not do this for water use so no need to try it. I would never use a full bottom cover in the water for the reasons you note. I will use either the stock cover or no cover at all when water detecting.

36 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Good job Steve, Hopefully Minelab see's this and gets the hint, we can't yell it any louder than we already are.  A missed opportunity for them to make some extra coin, accessories are a big money maker.

He who waits on Minelab generally............ waits. I doubt you will ever see full bottom covers for the coils from Minelab.

1/4" lighting holes drilled thru from the top side. About 20 in each section will give the benefit of additional weight loss, while allowing sand that gets trapped in the top to sift out as you swing. it would still ride over stubble like a solid bottom. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

Please update us your observations with your glued on cover, Steve.  Maybe every five hunts to see if the adhesive kept the moisture and sand out.  At least you can see through the cover to see if the glue is degrading.  Will consider this fix after you have tested it for awhile.  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

I will keep you updated but I made this coil primarily for nugget detecting. I have to have something that will not catch on jagged rocks and short upright sticks, etc. Works better for mowing down grass and weeds also. Found a little nugget with it on its maiden run! That being the case it won’t see much if any moisture, unless I get caught in the rain.

• Like 1

Seems like a no-brainer for some enterprising entrepreneur to work with a Chinese factory to produce third party skid plates. Thousands of potential customers amongst the Equinox crowd...all with 11" coils.

• Like 1