How To Enhance The Chances Of Finding Gold Chains With The Equinox

10 hours ago, Alluminati said:

Thanks for the update,

When I’m looking for light targets on the beach people lost that I know won’t get deep.....I can really back off the sensitivity which helps eliminate a lot of machine processing.  Get another shot at it....try reducing volume on more targets to...you have a known target with a digit range....use a workable pattern.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, dewcon4414 said:

In the Salt water Chase 50 tones drives me nuts with this machine.   Each of these modes or styles of hunting require us to adapt this machine to those conditions.   But most whose been detecting for many years tend to adjust and get the best out of any detector they use.   Those who cant...... normally were those blind squirrels lol.

Agree, but Randy was talking about gold chains in the context of (UK) field detecting not salt water detecting so in that regard, my comment regarding use of 50 tones or gold mode was applicable to relic hunting using Field 2 in fields or woods.  Obviously, these do not work well in wet salt sand conditions where I typically rely on the default Beach 1/2 mode settings, but that was not the point of the original post.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Is there anyone who has already found a gold chain with this machine? Not just one piece, but one who has already found several pieces. Without pendant.
I had high hopes for chain hunting in the freshwater, but I couldn't find any. No bracelet, no necklace.
I'm talking about gold because silver is an easy target.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmysys said:

Is there anyone who has already found a gold chain with this machine? Not just one piece, but one who has already found several pieces. Without pendant.
I had high hopes for chain hunting in the freshwater, but I couldn't find any. No bracelet, no necklace.
I'm talking about gold because silver is an easy target.

Gold chains are a relatively rare find compared to rings, and not just because they are more diffucult to detect, so don't expect to come across many, much less those that will register on the Nox. Even with the Nox, they are not going to be easy.  At 1 to 4 vdi, they are not going to be any more obvious than the much more common trash and borderline ferrous you are going to find in that range.  If you are solely targeting gold jewelry in areas littered with modern trash, then you will have a high trash to treasure ratio.  That is just the nature of where gold falls among aluminum.  From what I recall, what was touted about Equinox was that you would at least hear the chain target (though at a likely 1 vdi ) whereas other BBS (e.g. Excal) or FBS detectors would likely pass over the target without a peep.  Most vlf induction balance detectors have trouble with chains, period.

Are the freshwater sites you are hitting giving up a lot of gold jewelry besides chains?  Why are you expecting to see a lot of chains at these sites?

What settings are you using at these freshwater sites?

• Like 3

I have found two tiny 10K gold chains at two different public school grounds. Both came in bouncing between +4 and +5 at 3" or less depth and had an almost crackly sound like aluminum foil sometimes does. I actually thought they were small foil targets but dug them anyway!!!! Park 1, tone break 2 was 1 to 10 with no other custom audio settings on the 800.

Jeff

• Like 3

I realize this topic is over a year old. However, for those of you in the UK and Europe, I believe the manual suggests using Field 1 in heavily coke infested areas. Supposedly Minelab set up the multi frequencies and "maybe" some of the filtering to help discriminate +1 and +2 coke responses so other desired targets in the -3 to +4 range are not masked by surface or shallow coke fragments. I have never detected in Europe so I have no clue. I know that in Gold 1 and Gold 2 there were some factory adjustments done and there are some user setting adjustments available so that -9 to -1 hot rock responses and masking are easier to handle. So maybe Field 1 really has been factory adjusted for coke.

Jeff

35 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I realize this topic is over a year old. However, for those of you in the UK and Europe, I believe the manual suggests using Field 1 in heavily coke infested areas. Supposedly Minelab set up the multi frequencies and "maybe" some of the filtering to help discriminate +1 and +2 coke responses so other desired targets in the -3 to +4 range are not masked by surface or shallow coke fragments. I have never detected in Europe so I have no clue. I know that in Gold 1 and Gold 2 there were some factory adjustments done and there are some user setting adjustments available so that -9 to -1 hot rock responses and masking are easier to handle. So maybe Field 1 really has been factory adjusted for coke.

Jeff

Jeff,

You are right.  I always thought ML did this by simply setting the tone break at 2 meaning vdi 1 and 2 would be rejected, of course (true for both Field 1 and Field 2), which would not be much help if you were trying for gold chains, but ML goes on to say (from the bottom of p. 24 of the manual):

Coke is the charcoal and carbon by-product of burnt coal, and is prevalent around historically populated areas. Generally coke has a  Target ID of 1 or 2. For this reason it is rejected by default in Field Mode. Note, this could result in some small non-ferrous targets being missed. Field 1 Multi-IQ, even with  Target IDs 1 and 2 accepted, will reject more coke more than Field 2 using Multi-IQ.

That last sentence is VERY interesting.  So if you go to horseshoe in Field 1, supposedly you will magically be able to reject some coke but can still pick up some vdi 1/2 non-coke targets.  Hmm.  Wonder how they do that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Gold chains are a relatively rare find c....   .....Most vlf induction balance detectors have trouble with chains, period.

Are the freshwater sites you are hitting giving up a lot of gold jewelry besides chains?  Why are you expecting to see a lot of chains at these sites?

What settings are you using at these freshwater sites?

Thank you for your response Chase, sorry to answer just now.
These beaches are very different, with a small pond with a pebble bottom. From here came many other gold objects, many silver objects, including many silver bracelets and chains. In addition, there are more than a dozen different gold pendants. But only 3-4 chains. I searched very carefully with different machines. Deus, Excalibur, Equinox. Another example is a very popular but large beach with volcanic sludge where the machines go crazy with lots of tiny iron trash. There with many colleagues who regularly walk the water. The ring is a very rare hit here. Nowadays I tend to find open earrings. I guess because they are harder to find.
Interestingly, those who use Deus often find chains.
I see a lot of people use Park1 / 2 Filed 1/2 programs in freshwater. I couldn't make these programs stable because they produce continuous fake signals in the 1-2 range. Another possibility is that there are so many tiny little trash in the water. I use the beach1 program because it gives me the most stable machine and acceptable depth. Somehow I always come back to this.
I'm trying to create a setting that can detect chains in the 1-2 range without a lot of false signals.
I find many small pieces of lead. 3-6-8 range, much more than Deus. But less aluminum than Deus. I think about the multifrequency.
Sorry for the bad kindness, the translator helped.
I want beach 1 mode stability with single high frequency for gold. 🙂

• Like 2