My First Thoughts On The New Tek-Point Pinpointer

I just got my Tek-Point. I've been working with the TRX for the last year or so, so the bar was set pretty high for me. I like a lot of range and that has been the most important factor for me. I've wanted a second pinpointer for a while, and preferably Pulse Induction. I tried everything Garret has to offer and wasn't happy. I was tending toward the Gold Digger Land or Sea for quite a while and still would like to give it a go someday. I liked the 20ft waterproof rating as I'll often use my pinpointer for extended periods under water.

Ultimately I couldn't resist the range I was seeing from the Tek/Pulse. In my soil it runs neck and neck with the TRX, with the TRX picking up on items just slightly out of the Teks reach. But when I experiment with higher mineralization levels I have to back the TRX down where the Tek remains stable. I still prefer tip only detection, but the 360 detection comes in handy in plugs that aren't trash mixed with target. I like that it's smaller than the TRX by at least an inch and the LED is capable of far more output than the TRX, which is a huge plus since I like to do night hunts as well. 

I would say great job. It's easily my first or second favorite, I haven't made up my mind yet, but this pinpointer brought FTP into the top tier for sure. The only things I would like to see from pinpointers in the future is wireless adaptation of the primary machine's disc settings, ability to link up with wireless headphones, and maybe a small LCD on them or ability to send info back to the machine. Many possibilities for the future of these little devices.  

teknetics-tek-point-metal-detecting-pinp

As a follow up, after a week of use I love this pinpointer. The very slight depth advantage I saw for the TRX was on high conductors in mild to moderate soil. The Tek-Point has the same slight advantage on low conductors in those conditions, but carries an advantage on the full range of conductors in harsh mediums where the TRX has to back down to level 2 or 3 and the Tek can remain wide open. If I could only pick one I would pick the Tek-Point. I don't have to make any such choice thankfully, because they both have applications they excel at. I'm confident I have the two best pinpointers on the market right now. 

I do not get when people say range or depth is not important in a pinpointer or that it's any kind of disadvantage. I understand it from brands that haven't been able to find it, but depth does not defeat the purpose of a pinpointer for several reasons. 1. If you don't want it you can operate on a lower level, but it's always there if you decide want it. 2. When a pinpointer has a proportional response you know how far you are from the target by the intensity of the response. 3. Nomatter how good you are at pinpointing with the primary machine, and no matter how many years you have doing it, targets still elude us at times. 4. With the kind of range I get from the Tek-Point I can most often double check my preliminary pinpoint from above ground before I dig. I can also often use it by itself as a standalone search method in shallow water. 

In conclusion, competition for this machine ought to be a small field. I got to try the Minelab ProFind 35. I was really hoping I could use the iron tone and feel discrimination is an important evolution of pinpointers. Plus anyone that knows me knows I'm neurotic about having matching items. I wanted to like the ProFind to go with my Equinox. It's range is about half that of the Tek-point, and unfortunately the Iron tone did not work for me until I was right on top of the unintended object and by then you're already distracted. Additionally, it was not always accurate in predicting iron. So I couldn't see trading 2 inches, stability in harsh mediums, and a killer LED for a feature that kinda sorta works, sometimes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

When a pinpointer has a proportional response you know how far you are from the target by the intensity of the response.

This is the #1 reason I prefer the White's Bullseye TRX to the Garrett Propointer AT (aka 'carrot').  The second reason is the uni-directionality (more sensitive at the tip) of the TRX compared to the omni-directionality (more sensitive along the side) of the carrot.  Sounds like the Fisher/Tek PI has the proportional response of the TRX.  But didn't Carl M. say it's omni-directional?  What's your experience with that?

You're correct, the TRX has a tip response, which I generally prefer. The Tek-Point is omnidirectional, but it does seem more powerful or sensitive at the tip, whereas the Carrot seems pretty much equally sensitive along the entire shaft (although I could be mistaken in my memory). With a wide enough plug centered on the intended target I haven't found the Tek-point distracted because I worried about that too. 

I had forgotten to pass along a tip I learned today for those that have a Tek-Point or F-pulse, coming from a different pinpointer like the TRX or Carrot. If you have extra tip protectors (they most often come in packs of 3) from your prior pinpointer they will fit the Tek-Point even though they appear too small. Place tip protector in hot water for a couple minutes, then place a pair of pliers in them and open pliers inside tip protector so as to stretch the material a bit in all directions, widest at the opening. Slide it all the way on the tip of Tek-point and it fits like a glove. I initially didn't use a cover, but even with the abrasion resistant material I began to see wear, so I figured better safe than sorry.