Pointer That Works Well With Nox. Need Suggestions.

I had just bought a used carrot AT from a friend who was buying one of the new carrots with the wireless addon.  Like others here he said the carrot works great. This used AT looks like it has gone through a tornado yet seems to work fine.  But my brother snagged me a ML profind 35 new for a birthday gift days later. Also seems to work good. 

Both seem to work fine so far with the Equinox and in freshwater I've tried but I haven't been to saltwater yet.  Does anyone know if either of these are useful around saltwater beaches or in the saltwater at all?

All the profind says on the box is VLF, no other details on the brief instructions.  The carrot was used so not any details there. I am guessing someone already has tech posted about all pinpoiters.  Anyone got a link that I'm having trouble finding on the tech behind them all or most?  I was leaning towards PI pinpointers before getting these. 

Either way I'm all smiles digging parks all of a sudden.  Such a difference.

Garrett carrot, it's waterproof too and you can prospect a creek with it if you want. It is tough as nails as well. In two of my science classes I teach a short unit on metal detecting at the end of the year and I have no worries lending out the Garrett pinpointer to freshman in high school ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like my Xpointer as well as my TRX. I hated the Garrett Carrot and the F Pulse. I had the old Pro Pointer from Garrett until if would no longer work so I sent it in and Garrett talked me into trading it in on the Carrot and I hated the Carrot so gave it to my grandson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update on my use of the used carrot and the profind35.  good and bad news of course.   The good news is the carrot hasn't failed me once yet, even though it looks like its previous owner used it to scrape car brakes or something.  It's been a solid pointer even if it mostly only finds clad coins so far.   The Profind was working almost flawlessly as well, on dry land.  Found a tiny 925 ring within a nest of junk deep in park sand last week with the 35.  It really works when it works!  I had noticed that if I ever turned it up to full power I could get it to false repeatedly just by tipping it upwards, so I stopped using full power and everything seemed fine.  Of course I had been using the carrot the few times I made it to water.  I had only tested the profind in a sink when I first got it.  It worked then.

Then I took the profind to a freshwater lake.  Detecting in shallow 1 feet of water but finding everything by scoop right away.  Then I move a foot deeper, 2 whole feet deep.  I start having trouble finding an item with good tone on the equinox by just scooping.  Pull out the 35 and dip it in and before I even reach the bottom it starts howling.  "Yes(!)" I'm thinking.  Then quickly "Nope!."  It never stopped wailing and vibrating.  Turns out it sucked all the water in that it could and it's toast.   Just once right before I turned the cap off I think I saw a tiny bubble eek out from the seam in what looks like the tiniest of pin holes.    I emptied it and left the cap off for days now.  No joy.  As soon as a battery is put in it starts screaming again.  I can still see water droplets inside the light area too.  How did it get in there?  And when I first took the cap off I couldn't believe the amount of water that filled the spaces of it if it only came from some tiny seam hole.  Wouldn't the air inside it had kept some water out alone?  I'm thinking it must have more then one leaking spot.

I'm a little dismayed at the moment as I can't seem to get Minelab's site to send me a login reset.  But I'll get it soon and attempt to get some repair action going I guess.  At least the carrot has still got my back.  I'm being careful with it for now.

• Like 1

One gripe with the pro-find 35, (which incidentally i love) it can have a tendency to take in muck through the speaker cover netting.  This kills the noise of the alert feature, and i then have to rely on the vibrations.  I was looking at the carrot as a back up, i am now tempted more than ever.

27 minutes ago, Andy2640 said:

One gripe with the pro-find 35, (which incidentally i love) it can have a tendency to take in muck through the speaker cover netting.  This kills the noise of the alert feature, and i then have to rely on the vibrations.  I was looking at the carrot as a back up, i am now tempted more than ever.

I put a bit of (transparent) tape over it. No noticable sound loss and no more dirt in the holes. I suppose it will not keep when using (prolonged) under water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good tip Bob, nice1. 

• Thanks 1