Pointer That Works Well With Nox. Need Suggestions.

Like many others here, I have had zero issues with the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Carrot). Possible things to note is that I always  noise cancel the Nox first, and when the pointer comes into play, I ground balance the Pro-Pointer AT before probing. It's sometimes surprising how many folks don't GB the Carrot, but it helps with some probing issues that others have had.

Not sure if any of that helps, but my Nox 800 and Garrett Carrot are happy partners ?

-Bill 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, Andy2640 said:

One gripe with the pro-find 35, (which incidentally i love) it can have a tendency to take in muck through the speaker cover netting.  This kills the noise of the alert feature, and i then have to rely on the vibrations.  I was looking at the carrot as a back up, i am now tempted more than ever.

I'll keep that thought and bob's tip in mind if I get mine working again.   My 35 hasn't even seen mud yet, just dry beach sand and then the dip into a rocky lake.  I remember looking at those tiny speaker holes and just like with the Equinox wondering how they get good sound while still waterproofing them.  Little bugger perks up ears of passersby when I'm finding things.  Makes for good conversation anyway.  

Both the 35 and the carrot have sped up my finds so much and ended all those vanishing finds I was having before.   Can't live without them now.  I hadn't really taken enough advantage yet of the tone ID, except for my last ring find with it.  The equinox already has us so close and it takes seconds to pinpoint now.  But that one deep hole in the sand with tiny copper tubes, bottle caps, and odd water worn metal shards probably could have had me missing that ring without it.

On 9/11/2018 at 7:49 PM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.....

O.jpeg

i must be tired.  this is going over my head tonight.  What stupid thing did I say now?

The 35 is on it's way to service.  They were really quick to respond with the RMA and nice about it. 

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Does the Pro-Find 35 detect small gold like the marketing indicates? my Carrot AT picks up to about .3 of a gram ok, any smaller and its a no go.  I don't often use it for gold prospecting but it would be handy to have one that could be used if I was having enough trouble finding the target to speed up the process.  I've started using my carrot lately to quickly sort out junk when using my GPX as it's a real junk magnet.

Like you Simon, I rarely use my pinpointer when nugget hunting and have never tried it on small gold; it’s reserved for large, deep nuggets to ensure I don’t mark them with the pick.

Profind 35 is set at 3 as sensitive as Profind 25 when set to max. When I dropped profind35 to max sensitivity-6 setting, it proved me to detect the thinness of 3.3mm diameter -0.062gram of a small piece of lead at a distance of -4mm from the tip, 4.3mm diameter -0.11gram piece of lead-at a distance of 8mm, and .. 5.6mm-0.37gram piece of lead-at a distance of 20-22mm ... Clearly in terrain it is more difficult to find...

Update on my 35's service call.  Got the RMA and ups'd it in.  1.5 days later I'm getting emails in triplicate saying we received it, we repaired it, and we've shipped it back and here's your tracking number.   Next week it should arrive. I was initially told over the phone they would replace it.  I got the impression over the phone they don't mess around with repairs once it fully fills with water.   However two of these emails clearly talked about repairs, one of them talked about possibly sending me a bill for repairs.   I'm thinking they are just canned/automated emails.  Hoping they are.  Would have liked a more personal description of what they found out about how it leaked, but if this is how they do it so fast so be it.

Whatever the case, service appears to be really fast and I'll be glad to be able to use a 35 again when it comes.

On 9/14/2018 at 5:51 AM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Lol. Nothing. Just that pinpointing sometimes is a mystical process.

Dig we must!

I've been following that direction from many.  Dig we must.  I wonder about the 6in coil option.  My 800 at least has been putting me on the spot more than not. When I ultimately find a target, if I've kept my original X bearings the original location the 800 pointed out has been that perfect. The trouble seems to start once I break ground and the new variables come into play during double checks on the way down. The coil can't be swung as needed in a hole, or likely doesn't fit in at all. Swinging above the hole the detector is seeing ground over the targets on the left and right of the swing, and almost nothing over it in the middle.  We are just begging for confusing it. Didn't stop me from trying to relocate and messing myself up.

Both the carrot and the 35 have really helped and taken a lot of the mystery out of it for me.  I went from chasing magical moving targets to finding exactly what the equinox originally pointed out very quickly.

Which brings me to the 6in coil.  I'm not keen of the idea of swapping coils and then trying to scan a large area with a smaller coil, just to get that ability to get closer in a hole or closer to a wall.  But I wonder if a second detector, maybe another 600 or 800, with a shaft cut ultra short could make a nice hand held extra tool that would be easy to carry around.    Really short shaft, also remove the arm rest extension, 6 in coil, hang it off the belt?  Maybe someone has already done such a thing?  Maybe it's a over costly solution when the pinpointers work so well already.  But could it double as a good diver/river setup as well?