Silver Sabre - What Do You Folks Think?

Unfortunately it takes a little more than minimal skills with the iron.   I’ve got a handful of ruined Tesoros that I picked up for parts from folks who barbecued the PCBs trying to repair or mod them.  The traces on the uMax boards with surface mount components are tiny and require a delicate touch with an iron that isn’t too hot.  

• Like 1

Simon, 

Sounds like you have some background in electronics! I've noticed this on several threads! Would you care to elaborate! Just curious!🎛👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, phrunt said:

yup, very simple to replace. Just get the polarity the right way and you're good to go, minimal soldering skills required.   Desolder the old one, usually they have visible signs of failure such as leaking fluid, swelling on the top, or discoloration.  Take the old one into your trusty electronics shop and they'll get you a new suitable matching cap.  Poke it through, solder it on and you're done.

Simon,

Some of the capacitors will not show any sign damage and still be bad.

I finished replacing all the capacitors on a mother board of a 42 inch flat screen and none of the caps looked bad at all.

They will lose value first and then they will go bad on these newer TV sets, so that is why I have replaced all of the capacitors.

My rule of thumb is after say 10 - 15 years in a piece of equipment replace the capacitors and then see if there are any more problems. That will usually fix the problems for about $10 - $20 and it will save a lot of time and heartache down the road.

What I saw in the photo it would only be about a $5.00 cost in parts on EBay or even Amazon, but I do suggest only use a good brand of capacitors for the long haul.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

I found a Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax, the old one with the red pinpoint button. Has a 8" coil and looks to be in good shape 150.00 with a cheesy pinpointer. Any thoughts for making it a backseat toy?

Update!

I got it for 100 bucks and it's like brand new! My wife grabbed it and now it's hers. I put a fiber lower rod on it with a nylon coil bolt and it works great. She has a treasure pro and this is lighter for her and easier to operate. It's the small box one Steve like the modern silver uMax.But with an all metal pinpoint button and a threshold control. I'm trying to talk my sister out of her unused Compadre but for some reason it likes the closet at her house.

A6692C74-08CF-42A4-85E7-AF25D62D9CFB.jpeg

One of the best metal detectors I ever owned.and what a deal u nabbed at that price range believe the frequency a little better then the 2nd model design if I’m correct it’s 12 instead of 10 I set my disc all ways just right Under 4 for hitting gold targets and over the 15 years of owning this money maker it’s still running like the first day I got it . And found about 50x it’s original selling price at the time . I did have to mod a volume knob to it really don’t like headphones yet giving it that control knob worked wonders and saved an extra amount of battery life .hey give it the time and patience and this machine will give u treasures to find.best thing I found that paid for its self in a fifteen min park hunt at 6 in deep was a gold hallmark eagles head lady’s lip watch hallmark eagle head =18k .

• Like 1

I still own a original Silver Sabre11 with the plastic control box although the original alloy 'coffin box' was 'possibly' the best version,outstanding machines but alas very antiquated and although renown for really trashy site performance they are not used by many folks these days and this is the main reason that Tesoro died last year.

Cannot recall the last time i have seen anyone using a Tesoro dete3ctor that is in the UK that is,but wind the clock back 25-30 ie late 80s -early 90s these machines could be seen being used by many folks.Alas they ended up becoming doorstops or occasional use for trips down good old memory lane,hence mine possibly comes out once a year for that trip.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:48 PM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

I found a Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax ...

A6692C74-08CF-42A4-85E7-AF25D62D9CFB.jpeg

Hi , Actually it was my 1st detector , I bought it in 1998 in a shop in Paris. A nice machine , very easy to operate. Just 2 things , the ext. speaker too loud I had to mount a volume knob as albert did ( see post above ), and the knobs which tend to turn too easily. So I have maintained the disc knob with a rubber band to prevent it from rotating .  A fast and ultra light detector very good in open fields ...  

HH

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 3:18 AM, 2Valen said:

Simon,

Some of the capacitors will not show any sign damage and still be bad.

I finished replacing all the capacitors on a mother board of a 42 inch flat screen and none of the caps looked bad at all.

They will lose value first and then they will go bad on these newer TV sets, so that is why I have replaced all of the capacitors.

My rule of thumb is after say 10 - 15 years in a piece of equipment replace the capacitors and then see if there are any more problems. That will usually fix the problems for about $10 - $20 and it will save a lot of time and heartache down the road.

What I saw in the photo it would only be about a $5.00 cost in parts on EBay or even Amazon, but I do suggest only use a good brand of capacitors for the long haul.

My rule of thumb with a consumer electronics that after 10 years buy a new one!

• Like 1

For $100 you can't go wrong. The Silver Sabre Umax that you have is one of the most sought after of Tesoros.

They generally sell for about $225-250 in good working order.

I have had Tesoros from the early 80's-90's, capacitors were still good. Changing them made no difference in performance. Only one unit did I see some improvement, then again I used some expensive capacitors in it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, wltdwiz said:

it aint broke dont fix it just hunt with it 😎

Especially when it comes to Tesoros, they are like Timex watches, they just keep on ticking. If it works, use it.

No reason to mess with a Tesoro unless you really need to.

• Like 4