Rye Patch Nugget Shoot Sep 15, 2018

Never been to the nugget shoot but have been to Rye patch half a dozen times  times. If you have not been to that area then I would encourage you to go and explore the vast expanses of terrain up there.  It's magical in the Fall and it's  where I got hooked on gold nugget detecting. 

strick

• Like 2

Where is this Rye Patch you guys are always speaking of?   Possibly north of Winnemucca area????  Just curious...no plans to swoop on all your gold...….

TIA...…..

9 hours ago, oneguy said:

Where is this Rye Patch you guys are always speaking of?   Possibly north of Winnemucca area????  Just curious...no plans to swoop on all your gold...…..

Its about 50 miles SW of Winnemucca near Rye Patch Reservoir.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, strick said:

Never been to the nugget shoot but have been to Rye patch half a dozen times  times. If you have not been to that area then I would encourage you to go and explore the vast expanses of terrain up there.  It's magical in the Fall and it's  where I got hooked on gold nugget detecting. 

strick

I love going to the desert, gets me out of this cement jungle they call the bay area and there's so many amazing places to detect, although most are already pounded to death, but doesn't matter, stuff is still found and the adventure is the best part.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oneguy said:

...no plans to swoop on all your gold...….

From what I understand unless you have a megabucks PI machine, any gold left there is few and far between BUT this is a free hunt with over $20,000 in prizes!  Sounds like fun, and even though it's supposed to be pretty cleaned out, it would be a fun to test the EQ800s prospecting mode out there and possobly eek out some tiny speck of gold that's worth a penny haha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hobo said:

Its about 50 miles SW of Winnemucca near Rye Patch Reservoir.

Thanks....!!!!  Little far for me to travel but it sounds like it could be a fun outing!!!!!!

Chris Ralph's website is where I first read about Rye Patch.  

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/Expedition_to_N_Nevada/prospector_to_nevada.htm 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

From what I understand unless you have a megabucks PI machine, any gold left there is few and far between

That’s the story anywhere. Though actually if I had to place bets on being able to find gold almost anyplace a hot VLF is usually the ticket. The tiny bits are the common bits, and they are usually left behind by the PI operators. Most prospectors are usually after quantity, and one decent nugget makes up for hundreds or thousands of tiny nuggets. Scrubbing around with a hot VLF and small coil is time consuming and you can’t cover ground at any decent rate, but it is usually the way to go if just finding a little bit of any size gold at all is the goal.

You don’t find many hunts with prizes that are totally free, so it’s hard to go wrong with this one. I have never participated in a planted hunt myself though. Just never had any interest in it, free or not.

Latest Rye Patch thread

• Like 3