Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

A Hard Days Detecting With The Zed

Thanks for the post, sounds like a fun afternoon out.  What you consider tiny I consider really huge! I really need to break that 1 gram barrier, it's my next hurdle 🙂 I'm becoming good at finding tiny specs of gold, but the bigger bits remain elusive, except for Day #1 which I put down to beginners luck :laugh:

Fingers Crossed!!! 

It's odd the damp ground was bothering you, I'm yet to encounter that, in fact the opposite.

Simon

• Thanks 1

Good going JW, keep up the good work sniffing out those bits.

• Thanks 1

That`s a terrific collection you`ve got there JW, well done 🙂

• Thanks 1

Awesome work with the GPZ, if you can get the small the big will come!  

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, Thanks all for the comments. 👍

Hey freak.....I like your username :biggrin: I Haven't come across you before....welcome to the forum & Steve's great site. I wish the bigger ones would bloody hurry up & show themselves. :rolleyes: It has been a long time between drinks since I last got a reasonable decent one. Has not been from lack of trying though. That is for sure. Thanks for dropping in & for your comment.

Best of luck out there

JW :smile: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi Guys, I have been a bit slack in coughing up posts of my adventures & finds over the last couple of weekends. So I will go back a couple of weekends to my first mountain E-bike mission up into the hills chasing gold. The challenge was always going to be just how do I carry everything on me on the bike. My only choice was to put it all into my backpack. Pro swing harness with WM12 & B&Z booster & twin speakers clipped onto it. Pick, pick holder & belt. Smoko bag & coffee thermos. The Zed with coil & shaft sticking out the top of the pack. That was going to be the biggest obstacle negotiating through bush & past rocky outcrops without getting the detector caught up on something & getting thrown off the bike, hopefully not down a ravine, or worse...breaking the detector shaft. Oh well....we will find out. So I was all packed up ready to go. Bike on the bike rack & I was off. Simon has committed himself to skiing every weekend day until the end of the ski season. So no Simon.
      He was up there somewhere on Coronet Peak.

I got to as far as I could drive & got the bike all set up ready to go.

It was all uphill from here. Having the backpack on certainly didn't help too much with balance & poise on the bike. I need to centralise the detector & tie it tight so it doesn't flop about. Lesson one.
      While it certainly was a lot quicker getting up the hill than walking, it was still bloody hard work & I was pretty knackered when I got to as far as I could ride. I then had to ditch the bike & carry on with backpack on & climb higher.

Tee shirt was soaking wet.
      Still had a fair way to go

Still a bit of snow in the shadows. Note the high sluiced gully center top of pic & the material "flowing" into the creek.

Heading on up.

That horizontal line cutting across the browe of the hill is a water race that would have feed the sluicing of that gully in the above pic.

Up & up & time for a breather.

Absolutely stunning country.  I love it.

Looking back down to the gully floor & the whole floor of the gully has been turned over by the old timers.

All done by hand.

After having a look around & a bit of a reconoscience I started detecting. I chose some exposed schist bedrock. I got a sweet sounding signal.

Bingo.

On the same run of bedrock another signal.

I am way up from the gully floor but in a bit of a natural run off.

Another small bit of gold.

I noticed some rotten crumbling looking schist bedrock on a steep slope that looked promising. Got another signal.

looking down the gully.

A nice slug it was.

There were a few finds that I didn't bother taking any pics as it was pretty steep & I always turn my phone off as it interferes with the detector. So sometimes it is a bit of a pain turning it on to take photos, so on some I didn't bother.
      I had to start thinking about heading out so I started my walk back down. Detecting as I went. I got to some alluvial/glacial gravels that were just above some old workings. I got a nice sounding signal.

Looking down on the same dig

Another sassy bit of gold.

On the same gravels I got another nice hit. This one went down to a bit of depth.

My biggest bit of the day.

Then on the edge of some bedrock & these gravels, another signal.

Another small bit of the good stuff.

That was my lot, I had to get a wriggle on to get out before dark. Still had a bit of a walk back to the bike & then a bit of an uphill grind to get up out of this gully for the big downhill back to my wagon. I had seen quite a few broken glass bottles & on my walk back to the bike I saw a bit of green glass only just visible in the dirt. I carefully scraped around it with my pick. Expecting it to be just another broken bottle. But it wasn't.

Gosh...that is a first. They are always broken. That one came home.
      On my walk back to the bike I came across three of my mates, & the only other life I saw all day apart from a few rabbits, which sums up the type of country I was in. Mountain goats.

Had a close call riding the bike back down. I got a bit over confident coming down a very narrow part of the track with some over hanging brush. Sort of forgot about the detector sticking up out as much as it was. It clipped a bush & very nearly threw me off & over a bluff. Don't tell Mrs JW, ok Simon.....It tore the skid plate off the coil & I was so thankful it didn't break the shaft. Whew....& the skid plate did not sail off over the bluff. Sure was fun coming down, apart from that close call. WAY quicker & easier than walking.
      End result on the gold front was 12 pieces for 3.54 grams & believe it or not. Not one piece of rubbish.  

Cheers.
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By mn90403
      Here is another WA nugget!
      http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/09/21/massive-80g-gold-nugget-discovered-in-australia-by-retired-man-whos-been-searching-area-for-years.html
      Mitchel
    • By IdahoPeg
      OK, so not really a BIG adventure....I just like the title!😄  I decided the Zed needed to get out and play, so we headed to northern Nv for a week...skipped my usual Rye Patch, and hunted 3 other areas instead. My 1st bit of gold was from Placerites, a sassy piece:

Got a dink at Sawtooth, then moved on elsewhere. Had a couple skunked days but still enjoyed the scenery:

Even found me a cool high desert hood ornament lol!

Ended up with over a quarter oz, including a rough beauty of 3.9 grams about 12” deep:

Wanted to meet Steve at the Nugget Shoot, but had to head home to meet up with some loggers up by my cabin. All in all, a great trip!
    • By jrbeatty
      - - - over an hour from the Nineties. I haven't successfully transposed it to digital format yet but I'm still working on it. The sound is present but my capture device isn't yet picking it up.
      I'm a bit over the moon about it really, some welcome good news following a tough week shooting drought weakened sheep - -  Starring are some memorable characters from the earlier years of gold detecting, as well as some nice gold. Here's some early screen grabs, hopefully the final MPEG's will be of higher quality.
      5 oz from Guys Rush, Rheola VIC. found at depth with Jimmy Stewarts 36" "Bismarck":

30 oz from Guy's Rush, Rheola VIC, found at depth with Jimmy Stewarts 36" "Bismarck":

• By phoenix
      I`m still experimenting with cameras and this is a shot of the small stuff I have found over the last few months.   I`m not looking for point oners but that`s what I`ve mainly been getting.   I`ve dug plenty of deep holes, but unfortunately no deep gold, only deep rubbish.   It`s a good thing this is just a hobby for me. 🙂

• By Chris Ben
      Hi all, I had time for a half day hunt today, so I planned on going back to a couple spots we had found gold in the past, hoping to squeeze out another nugget or 2. Plan a was a bust so I made a beeline toward the truck. On the way walking over random ground perpendicular to all the washes I hit a nice smooth signal on a small ridge. Dug down about 6 inches and got it out of the hole. Turned out being a fist sized rock. Thought it was a hot rock at first, but the signal was too good, so I was hoping it was a possible meteorite. Washed it off and immediately saw quartz. So now I was hoping for a speci. (Which I have never seen from this area) I washed it off a little more and saw some gold!!! Not sure how much is in there, but when I got home and cleaned it better, I found more gold than I was expecting. 
      I got back to the truck and was headed home when my girlfriend said they were running a couple of hours late, so I had a bit more time to detect. I decided to try a completely new area expanding a known gold district on my way home. I made my way into the hills to the place I wanted to check out. Looked promising,  very similar geologic to the place I was just at. I only had time for about 20 minutes of detecting. So I headed up the nearest wash. Got a little way up and hit a nice mellow deep signal, dug down about a foot and half and found a 1961 nickel on bedrock, 3 feet away hit a similar signal let than a foot deep on bedrock again..another nickel 1984. Strange this was really out of the way and didn't find any trash. Only detected a small part of the wash when I had to head home.

You can zoom in on the quartz and see a couple of spots of gold.
      Chris