Edsped

Underwater With The Equinox 800

Great report. It sounds like detecting in Hawaii - the hot rocks there give VLF detectors fits and are good at hiding targets that only a PI can reveal. Obviously finds can be made but it can be a noisy go deciding what signals are good and which are not. Much as I like the Equinox for water hunting it will not replace a PI for the worst stuff.

Personally I would recommend a higher recovery speed in hot rocks. Your problem is not absolute depth but relative depth, and a higher recovery speed will reduce noise and let the machine see targets between and next to hot rocks better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Personally I would recommend a higher recovery speed in hot rocks. Your problem is not absolute depth but relative depth, and a higher recovery speed will reduce noise and let the machine see targets between and next to hot rocks better.

Thanks for this bit of expertise info. Helps us rookies!

strick

Id say you found more than a few pieces of gold.   

The Nox, much like the CTX, prefers speakers like the audiosears over the piezos.   But those speakers arent cheap so not many use them they arent as easy to seal either for water hunting.   Not many phones perform well underwater for a lot of reasons either.   To me .... its more about finding a pair of phones that are properly sealed for constant dunking.   Its bites ...... but the cheap ML yellows do do that..... but dang i hate those things.   We may see MAL or GGA soon ..... but i think there wont be a big change in sound.

• Like 3

While I like the Hungarian yellows, I need something with more sound blocking. I don't dive and these have no sound blocking at all.  In fact, they seem to amplify the noise from boats, jet skis and even the wind.  I bought one of the adapters a while back and am seriously considering converting the Koss QZ-99's over.

1 hour ago, Jackpine said:

While I like the Hungarian yellows, I need something with more sound blocking. I don't dive and these have no sound blocking at all.  In fact, they seem to amplify the noise from boats, jet skis and even the wind.  I bought one of the adapters a while back and am seriously considering converting the Koss QZ-99's over.

They are easy enough to pop apart, just pull the squishy part and the rest pops out with it or use a flat head to get in there.

You could probably stuff some foam in there or other material for sound blocking.

Had another cracker day yesterday and my first SCUBA with the equinox, had so much fun too! 😊

here is yesterday’s top treasures:

C4FAE396-E5D7-49D9-97D2-CC2E841AADDA.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Id say you found more than a few pieces of gold.   

The Nox, much like the CTX, prefers speakers like the audiosears over the piezos.   But those speakers arent cheap so not many use them they arent as easy to seal either for water hunting.   Not many phones perform well underwater for a lot of reasons either.   To me .... its more about finding a pair of phones that are properly sealed for constant dunking.   Its bites ...... but the cheap ML yellows do do that..... but dang i hate those things.   We may see MAL or GGA soon ..... but i think there wont be a big change in sound.

I’m thinking about attempting some alternatives for water use, I’ll post them if they ever come into existence

17 minutes ago, Edsped said:

They are easy enough to pop apart, just pull the squishy part and the rest pops out with it or use a flat head to get in there.

You could probably stuff some foam in there or other material for sound blocking.

Don't use foam to insulate (unless closed cell) if you are using them underwater, you won't like the smell after a period of time. Applying silicon to the  inside of the ear cups will help and not stay wet when out of the water. Taping over the vent and drain holes helps some too, just remove the tape IF using them underwater.

Cliff

17 minutes ago, cdv said:

Don't use foam to insulate (unless closed cell) if you are using them underwater, you won't like the smell after a period of time. Applying silicon to the  inside of the ear cups will help and not stay wet when out of the water. Taping over the vent and drain holes helps some too, just remove the tape IF using them underwater.

Cliff

Ok good to know! 

Dont want smelly headphones 😉

36 minutes ago, cdv said:

Cliff

I just tried pulling them apart and it isn't happening  I'm not going to attempt further risking damage.

So the Koss phones are getting modified and if they work out I'll sell the Yellows.