Edsped

Underwater With The Equinox 800

Great report. It sounds like detecting in Hawaii - the hot rocks there give VLF detectors fits and are good at hiding targets that only a PI can reveal. Obviously finds can be made but it can be a noisy go deciding what signals are good and which are not. Much as I like the Equinox for water hunting it will not replace a PI for the worst stuff.

Personally I would recommend a higher recovery speed in hot rocks. Your problem is not absolute depth but relative depth, and a higher recovery speed will reduce noise and let the machine see targets between and next to hot rocks better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Personally I would recommend a higher recovery speed in hot rocks. Your problem is not absolute depth but relative depth, and a higher recovery speed will reduce noise and let the machine see targets between and next to hot rocks better.

Thanks for this bit of expertise info. Helps us rookies!

strick

Id say you found more than a few pieces of gold.   

The Nox, much like the CTX, prefers speakers like the audiosears over the piezos.   But those speakers arent cheap so not many use them they arent as easy to seal either for water hunting.   Not many phones perform well underwater for a lot of reasons either.   To me .... its more about finding a pair of phones that are properly sealed for constant dunking.   Its bites ...... but the cheap ML yellows do do that..... but dang i hate those things.   We may see MAL or GGA soon ..... but i think there wont be a big change in sound.

• Like 3

While I like the Hungarian yellows, I need something with more sound blocking. I don't dive and these have no sound blocking at all.  In fact, they seem to amplify the noise from boats, jet skis and even the wind.  I bought one of the adapters a while back and am seriously considering converting the Koss QZ-99's over.

1 hour ago, Jackpine said:

While I like the Hungarian yellows, I need something with more sound blocking. I don't dive and these have no sound blocking at all.  In fact, they seem to amplify the noise from boats, jet skis and even the wind.  I bought one of the adapters a while back and am seriously considering converting the Koss QZ-99's over.

They are easy enough to pop apart, just pull the squishy part and the rest pops out with it or use a flat head to get in there.

You could probably stuff some foam in there or other material for sound blocking.

Had another cracker day yesterday and my first SCUBA with the equinox, had so much fun too! 😊

here is yesterday’s top treasures:

C4FAE396-E5D7-49D9-97D2-CC2E841AADDA.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Id say you found more than a few pieces of gold.   

The Nox, much like the CTX, prefers speakers like the audiosears over the piezos.   But those speakers arent cheap so not many use them they arent as easy to seal either for water hunting.   Not many phones perform well underwater for a lot of reasons either.   To me .... its more about finding a pair of phones that are properly sealed for constant dunking.   Its bites ...... but the cheap ML yellows do do that..... but dang i hate those things.   We may see MAL or GGA soon ..... but i think there wont be a big change in sound.

I’m thinking about attempting some alternatives for water use, I’ll post them if they ever come into existence

17 minutes ago, Edsped said:

They are easy enough to pop apart, just pull the squishy part and the rest pops out with it or use a flat head to get in there.

You could probably stuff some foam in there or other material for sound blocking.

Don't use foam to insulate (unless closed cell) if you are using them underwater, you won't like the smell after a period of time. Applying silicon to the  inside of the ear cups will help and not stay wet when out of the water. Taping over the vent and drain holes helps some too, just remove the tape IF using them underwater.

Cliff

17 minutes ago, cdv said:

Don't use foam to insulate (unless closed cell) if you are using them underwater, you won't like the smell after a period of time. Applying silicon to the  inside of the ear cups will help and not stay wet when out of the water. Taping over the vent and drain holes helps some too, just remove the tape IF using them underwater.

Cliff

Ok good to know! 

Dont want smelly headphones 😉

36 minutes ago, cdv said:

Cliff

I just tried pulling them apart and it isn't happening  I'm not going to attempt further risking damage.

So the Koss phones are getting modified and if they work out I'll sell the Yellows.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By geof_junk
      The Poseidon Nugget’ was unearthed in the Parish of Waanyarra. The huge nugget weighed 953 oz gross and 703 oz net. Woodall and party found the nugget 10
      inches underground, 2 inches above bedrock with much quartz. This find began the last of the big rushes to the area.[1906] On private land. This [Poseidon] was the last great alluvial rush in Victoria.
      3000 were camped here in 1906 with store established catering for all the miners’ needs. One storekeeper was charged and fined for selling sly grog. The reef above and opposite the gully had been rushed in 1859, but this side neglected. It was nearly fifty years before John Porter testing the ground with a hand auger, found wash and sank a shaft onto nuggets.
      From its size, more large nuggets have come from this lead than any other in the world. 703 oz, 675 oz, thirteen others over 100 oz, nineteen from 50-99 oz, fifty two from 20-49 oz and two hundred and eight from 1-19 oz. ... the Premier awarded [James Porter] £500 for the discovery. He was the last man to receive a reward for the discovery of a new goldfield in Victoria.
    • By schoolofhardNox
      A couple of weeks ago during an extreme high tide, I put aside 2 days to hit two different beaches to see what I could get at low tide. Those visits are a good example of how not to plan your hunt rigidly. Both days I focused on the wrong thing and at the end of each hunt I found a patch that helped save the day. One of those days was an area that I re hit yesterday, some 2 weeks later. It produced 2 silver rings, silver earring an pendant all in the last hour of the hunt. Yesterday it was sanded in a bit more, so the targets were deeper, but focusing on a productive area rather than having a master plan, payed off. What I wasn't counting on was that every hole I dug was in an area that was packed with a sand and cobble stone mix! Solid as concrete. I use a pointed spade and the only way to dig was on your knees with raking the rocks out of the hole. I slept well that night  I dug 134 holes trying to focus between the silver signals and possible gold signals. I abandoned the small gold which reads #1 on the Equinox because this beach has a lot of black rocks that also read a solid #1. Since digging was extremely hard, I opted to ignore most of them. So here are the results of an all day hunt. I remember a post about nickel ratios in parks vs gold, so I'm including my ratio. It is way off of what a park gets and what some other beaches get, but if you hit the right area, you can get these results. 20 nickels dug (including 1 silver war nickel) vs 3 pieces of gold. Most of those nickels dated early 60's and older. This is why beaches can not give you the expected ratio as this will not be repeatable every time out. It's beena little while since I hit gold and I was starting to give the equinox the old "stink eye"   look. But it's back on my favorite list now The chain hit at #2, the ring at #8 and I think the stud at #3 or 4.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I had actually commented/pics some photos of finds on anothers post that was similar, but realized I did not want to steal his thunder.
      In my part of the country our lakes draw down each Winter/Spring to make room for the up and coming Spring/Summer runoff.  This allows for some detectable areas though maybe not as perfect as beaches.  Well when you live 500+ miles from the Coast you learn to adapt and find opportunities some others don't think of.  Here is a quick story of a trip to a well known high country lake thousands visit each year. 
      I was heading to NV to do our 1st of the year 3 days Field Training Trip on Gold Detectors.  Sometimes I like heading down 3 days to a week early to get some time alone.  Not that I do not enjoy detecting with others, as those who know me, will fess.. I actually prefer enjoying a swing with other like minded seekers.  (hints the 3 days training we offer) This allows me a variety of accomplishments if desired.  Sometimes testing a new model of detector, or coil.  Other occasions I could be actually Prospecting for new areas and greener pastures for future hunts.  Or I usually end up seeking an early coin/trinket from the trashy rustic RR stops along my course there, even though I have hunted them many times over.
      Getting down to Rye Patch and not feeling it (got to have the gut feeling it is the right site), I drove on past and kept the truck/trailer heading West on I-80.  
      Lake Tahoe was on my mind as was a nice gold ring or two and always a silver coin as consolation. Pulling my camp trailer all the way up (Boise 2730' - Lake Tahoe 6225') found me in snow and not just a dusting.  Not thinking all the way through my last minute change (I should have called 1st) left a lump in my throat as I drove around trying to find an open area for my 50' combo to settle for the night.  Now is not a good time to find out most of the camp sites on the CA side were still snowed in and closed.  I spoke with a Forest Service lady the 2nd day as I ended up sleeping over night at a school parking lot in Kings Beach and she told me of 2 camping sites they just plowed.  She was certainly a trip saver for me.
      Finding my way that afternoon to said site and paying the daily fees to camp (nothing is free in CA), I was eager to get out in the water.  Mistake #2  (no wet suite as I had not planned a dip in the snow banks of the chilling Tahoe waters.  Heck, I'm USMC...just do it!! was my thought and desire.  Shorts and tennis shoes is all I needed, lasted about 45 minutes and 15 targets, which none were gold or silver of choice and the day was shot.  Certainly was one of my cold/numbest & dumbest water/beach hunts I have dipped.   
      2nd day I came back with a new plan and hunted gravels/rocks along the banks (out of the water) and after many scratches, digs and picking...YES.. scored a nice heavy yellow metal ring. 
      Interesting how they stack the rocks on the shoreline, so I took a few picks of my stacked 3030 next someones artwork, heck why not?
      On a side note: If ever around there and you enjoy smooth dark ale beer, a World Beer Cup Gold Medal Winner is by far my favorite.  Double Nut Brown Ale made by Mammoth Brewing Company is serious winner.
      A couple days later as I was picking more signals in the rocks along the shoreline, this nice black disc appears.  Did not even realize it was a coin at 1st, but when I turned it over I could read "ONE DIME".  Ended up being my oldest coin to date from Lake Tahoe, an 1856 US Seated Liberty Dime.
      So if you know of an old high country lake or swimming hole...or just want to try something different, maybe this short story will inspire?  At least the dark ale lovers get a tip of beer greatness.
      And be sure to plan appropriately...and let others know where you'll be.

• By mn90403
      A couple of days ago I pulled the trigger on a solo trip to Australia, Melbourne and Victoria to be exact.  I have the Visa.  I have a Miner's Right.  I'll be there from Thursday morning 8:30AM the 9th of May thru Thursday morning the 30th of May which will make for 20 days of detecting.  It says the highs will be in the high 60s and lows in the 50s.  The sun will rise about 7:30 and set about 5.  There seems to be a fair amount of rain for the month.
      I've been reading Fred's books.  He has one of Doug Stone's which is the Gold Atlas of Victoria.  There are also many online resources and several of you here have some great suggestions for me.  My itinerary is open for some nugget prospecting days and a couple of beach days.
      My tentative plan would be to get off the plane, rent a vehicle and head to Bendigo area for a motel and then be ready for a hunt the next day.  I might even be up for a hunt the day I arrive ... possibly at a beach.
      I'm sure I'll be meeting up with some of the forum members when I'm there so let's just see what happens.
      Mitchel
    • By Hwang
      Are you planning to hunt the beach?
      Have you ever traveled a long distance and have been disappointed by the accumulation of sand?
      Search for the beach you want to visit in Instagram.

Recent posts can help you understand the state of the beach without having to go directly.
      You can see almost real-time beach images with uploaded photos by Instagram users. 
      Only popular beaches can see your recent photos.
      I choose the beach in this way.
      Sometimes you may find yourself in another person's instagram.

• By Gerry in Idaho
      As some of you know, I head south each winter with a few clients and have some sun in the fun, with a few stiff drinks to kill any bacteria on my ice.  I always take a detector and sometimes even test a few for manufactures (like I did last year with the TDI Beach Hunter).  Anyway, I seem to find interesting metal objects in my scoop and on occasion they are still moving (that is for another story).  So here are a few photos of finds and laughs.
      1st pic of at least 10 different countries and some of their coins.  Some of them I know others I'll need to look up in a book some day.
      2nd is a waterproof Fugi camera.  I took the card out and guess what was on it?  Now here is a weird twist.  There was video footage of me metal detecting.  They actually filmed me.
      3rd is a gold plated miniature brass shovel.  Now I know there are some serious gold diggers walking those beaches, but now they seem to wear a shovel?  I guess that should make it easy for the old guy to figure out their intent?
      4th is an interesting piece.  I thought it was an aluminum dog whistle but blowing on it numerous times has not produced a peep yet?  Maybe one of those secret silent ones?  My other thought was some kind of mini magnifier, but each time I look through I can't see anything.  Sure does have an odd smell though.
      5th.  Is a Samsung phone.  I've found a few throughout the years and you better have a serious scoop to reach them as sometimes the detector will go near 2 feet deep.  I realize it is not a ring, but I also know a Rolex watch could be down there too.
      I'll be posting some of the jewelry later on as I am still getting caught up with customer emails and phone calls to get them detectors.
      Until next post, enjoy and if you know any info of my finds, please chime in.