normmcq

Circulated For A Long Time And Out Of Circulation For A Long Time

congrats Norm

• Like 1

Nice going on the seated Norm...the only seated quarter I've ever found was in bad shape also...but they still count! :biggrin:

strick

• Like 2

18 hours ago, normmcq said:

After finding my first silver coin last August....

You were walking back then and now we can see you are running -- nice finds!  The Merc right below the Seated quarter looks to be in fantastic condition.

Without revealing too much, could you describe the site you found the seated quarter?  I'm wondering if the condition is due to the site (e.g. saltwater) or if it just went in the ground that way.

• Like 1

Gb

I am fairly sure that I found that coin very near an oiled road in the fairgrounds. It was completely covered with a tar like substance. It looked so bad that I mistook it for a dirty clad.  I put it in the rock tumbler with all of the other modern coins with soap and water. After about 30 minutes, I dumped the contents out for rinsing, that was when I could see a silver edge. I tried every thing in my arsenal, nothing would clean the tar. I searched the internet for solutions and settled on the electrolysis method. I went out to my garage and built it. After just a few minutes the tar was gone, revealing my Seated Liberty. I am sure it was in that condition when lost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably was laying in the road getting ground down for years before they oiled the road...I see that  on modern coins that have been driven over...

nice find Norm!

fred

• Like 3

Awesome collection of finds.:biggrin:

• Like 1

When I read the title I thought you had been laid up ... 😁

Glad to see you getting out there and getting more.

Mitchel

Great finds and that is a load of silver in a relatively short time! I have yet to find a seated quarter, congratulations on a great find!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GB_Amateur
      Running out of days (especially decent weather days) in 2018.  Yesterday I was hunting my favorite park that I've been searching over the past 4 years.  I was basically doing some experimentation with settings and detectors.  Going over a grassy slope in the shade of a large tree I got a very strong, irregular signal which turned out to be a recent spill -- 2013-D Quarter, two 2017-D dimes, 2006-D dime, 2005-D nickel, and (only 'old' coin) 1964-D nickel.  All coins were on the surface of the ground, under the grass blades.  Oh, there was one more coin amongst those -- a shiny penny.  I figured 'typical Zincoln' but put it in my 'coins' pocket (Zincolns usually go in the trash pouch but get sorted later).  It's gotten to the point where I don't even look at the dates on Zincolns since most of the time I can't discern them, they are eaten up so badly.  Just toss them in their own jar.
      When I got home and was sorting through the finds (1940 Jeffy being the oldest but nothing to get excited about since they made a gazillion of them), I noticed the shiny penny had an -S mintmark (see photo below).  The 2005 date had me scratching my head since I thought (and later confirmed) that 2005-S coins were only minted for inclusion in proof sets.  Only 3,273,000 made (compare that to over 7.7 billion combined between 2005 plain and 2005-D cents).  Second lowest mintage penny I've ever found, either detecting or searching through bank rolls.
      Phrunt was just talking about the "what was that doing there?!" question we often asks ourselves when identifying unusual finds.  Just another one for me.

• By phrunt
      At the moment my life is pretty restricted, my wife went back home to Australia to see her family in Brisbane and to attend her brothers Wedding down in Canberra.  I didn't want to go, it's far too hot for me there this time of year which is fortunate as I avoided a big dust storm that covered Sydney and Canberra.... My 7yr old daughter has taken after me and cant stand the heat either so she decided to stay home with me.  I was eager for a detect, I'm desperate to try out my new SP01 Audio enhancer for my GPX but going gold prospecting wasn't going to happen with my daughter tagging along, she wouldn't have the patience for that so I suggested to her we go up a nearby ski field for an hour or two and get some coins for her money box, to her this was a great plan.  We have an agreement if I find coins metal detecting and they're current currency she gets them to put in her money box.
      So off we went up to the ski field, the area I was hoping to detect was closed off as they're replacing that particular lift with a new Gondola lift and the builders were there doing some work so it looks like I've missed out on detecting that lift, they'd done ground works there already.  I was quite annoyed as it was one of the last spots left for me to do, except for the far away lift, and it's just not very popular compared to the others as the route down is very tricky and has very skinny bits through a gully which snowboards struggle to do.  I didn't have much hope for this lift, whenever we use it there is never a queue and sometimes you can be the only person coming down.

The view down to Queenstown area from the mountain with the lake mostly obscured by the hills in front of it.

Ended up having to detect the far away lift I wasn't overly confident on.
      The weather wasn't ideal and it rained a good portion of the hour or so we were up there, my daughter just sat under the cover of the lift and read a book on her kindle while I got to work.
      Every lift has a dirty great big red power box with 11,000 volts charging through it, and even though the ski fields are closed for the season these things are juiced up to the max, a loud humming noise coming out of them, quite loud when you're up close to them.

These boxes cause havoc for the Equinox, especially with the 12x15" coil, the 6" handles them quite well, and it gets progressively worse the bigger the coil.  I really wanted to test out the bigger coil so I left it on and just lowered my sensitivity to 14 which made the detector go back to it's usual quiet self. 

The usual gold coins were popping up, if you've got a good set of eyeballs you'll see them still in the holes in the photos.  Some were still quite deep, 10 or so inches even with my lower sensitivity

I'd finished detecting around the gates area that checks your pass before you can go on the lift, this area is often good to detect on lifts as people sometimes have to get the pass out of their pocket if the wireless pass system won't read their pass so they pull it out of their pocket to wave it in front of it, often doing this things can be dropped and they sink straight into the snow.  Got about $8 here, nothing too great but still a bit of fun.
      Then I moved to the point where you first sit down on the lift and it takes off taking you up the hillside, this area is usually the best to detect as when people sit down on the lift and it takes off at speed things can fall out of pockets and people also sometimes pull off their gloves once on the lift so they can use their phone as a camera to film the ride, this is when rings can drop off being hooked onto the gloves.
      And that's exactly what happened, I found a ring, it appears to be silver with 7 diamonds.

I don't know what's with me, the Equinox and silver rings, I just keep finding them, I've only ever found one gold ring.
      Other than that was just a few more coins in the takeoff area

You'll see my daughter in the background sitting under the lift reading her book, very patient to let me detect away 🙂 she was quick to run over and collect everything I found of course knowing all the money was hers.
      Any my total for the hour and a bit I was there before the rain just got too heavy

$11.50 in modern NZ coinage, 2 Australian 5 cents and 2 chinese coins.  The Ring and a funny musical thing, you turn the handle and it plays music, At first I thought it was junk and just put it in my junk pocket as I take all junk away so I don't have to detect it next year.  When I got home and was going through all the stuff I cleaned it up under the tap and worked out what it is.  It's pretty cool, you spin the handle around and it plays you are my sunshine, my only sunshine's music.  The other two things the pyramid and round thing are my worst enemies on the ski field when searching for coins, they both come up a solid 21/22 the same as our gold coins, they're little things people attach to their snowboard so they can scrape the snow off their boots, they usually have a clump of 20 or so stuck to the board but they seem to fall off a lot.

It cleaned up nice.
      A fun way to spend a bit of an afternoon 🙂

Happy to get another ring to add to the collection, my wife will probably want this one when she gets home, although she's meant to fly from Canberra to Sydney, then Sydney to Queenstown on Monday, with this dust storm in action that may well not take place.

• By Steve Herschbach
      From Minelab Facebook page:

• By Rick73
      I have been searching a recently harvested beanfield that was a picnic grove 100 plus years ago. This has been a nickel haven as these were V-nickels number 28 and 29 that I have found at this field in the last couple of years. I read in an old newspaper that carousel rides were a nickel at this grove. The right nickel is a 1885 and the left is a 188?. I had to let them soak in a rust remover to remove the corrosion that comes from farm chemicals. The 1885 will grade AG3 at best. I switch around between the CTX and Deus and the EQ but the 800 is definitely the best on nickels. Still a great find. 

• By gambler
      Found in a city park, limited time and very trashy. About 6 inches down.

• By Andy2640
      I'm trying not to brag guys honestly, but the Nox and myself did it again.
      Unfortunately I took my Spinks coin bible back to the library last week, so I cant I.D the little butey, Soooo......can any kind person here tell me what it is please..... pretty please....with a cherry on top 😉 ?
      YaaaaaHoooooooo

Andy.