Detecting Old Claim In Alaska

The gun would be for the big grezzly baars.  I'll stick to my brown snakes and drop bears ?

And yeah, any yella?  Camping for a few days? 

• Like 1

Looks as if one has a GMT and the other GP of what I don’t know. I do know that if a Bear came out of the brush you wouldn’t have time to kiss your butt goodbye.

Chuck

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You notice there are two people and one of them has the gun.  When I went backpacking Alaska with my buddy, he started razzing me saying ... "what are you doing with that gun?  That .40 cal isn't going to stop a bear."  I told him that he was correct, it likely would only anger the bear.  But it doesn't have to stop a bear.  It just had to slow *him* down.  He gave me a blank white stare. True story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2018 at 3:41 PM, kiwijw said:

Why not just fire a shot to scare it off?  JW

No offense at all Kiwi but I get the impression you've never been around Grizzlies?  Blackies are one thing (and they have their moments also) but Grizz can be a different ballgame.  Used to cut timber in AK on Chicagof Is. (grizz) and had one experience (didn't go bad) here in Mt.  Actually had two scary ordeals just with Blackies here in Mt. but they also turned out ok with no shots fired.  What I do is pack a .41 mag (warm fuzzy feeling) and also a pocket air horn.  When I get in tight/thick brush I give a few toots on the horn to let any bears know I'm coming.  Haven't had a bear incident in years...as long as you make plenty of noise and don't surprise them.  Generally they hear you coming making noise and leave before you ever see one.  Unfortunately that grizz may/or may not move on hearing you coming?  I think the last thing anyone wants to do is have any incident with Grizz….much less have to shoot?  They can be unpredictable and if it comes to you or him...I completely understand a decision to shoot (and that's if you even have time to draw your weapon)…..  jmho

• Like 3

Nice bird,   'Champion?'  What's under the cowling?   Gravel bars do create opportunities.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

You guys might have a different attitude if you lived where there are bears and mountain lions or maybe not...

I don't intend to start a gun vrs no gun argument ..

I feel I have as much right to survive and thrive in the wilderness as the next animal-humans lived in those places before cities were thought of; some people still do! 

That said, when I went to Alaska I did not take a gun. I can't metal detect and protect myself at the same time...so, I figured my pick would do for digging and defense,  if I had time to defend.  I know there were bears around but they never bothered me...

live and let live

fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

You guys might have a different attitude if you lived where there are bears and mountain lions or maybe not...

fred

You are right Fred. I lived in Alaska for almost forty years. The places I lived were a bit remote, in that they were not close to any town. So you could step out your door and possibly run into a bear or belligerent moose.

It is true that people in Alaska that live in or very near towns and cities may not feel the need to go armed, but in most other places they do have a need to go armed. If you want to enjoy the outdoors in places like this you should take into consideration that you may run into trouble and need to defend yourself. Self defense is natural for all living things.

• Like 7

Yes phrunt, I do understand the difference. I just posted that because many people who do not and never have lived in remote situations just cannot understand what it is like to live where you have to be extremely careful about what is around you and where you are walking. Their lifestyle cannot prepare them for even thinking in terms of life and death encounters with wildlife. Like you said, where you live the most dangerous animal is a farmer's sheep.  lol

• Like 4