Looking to pick up a 4in in the next bit here. Keene? Proline? Or will the difference even matter for a novice? All opinions appreciated. 

I will offer a simplistic answer. In general the Proline models are less complicated, fewer parts, and typically a standard basic sluice design. Keene dredges tends to have more parts/pieces and anything larger than a 4" quite complicated sluice boxes. I like simplicity and tend to lean a little towards Proline because of that factor.

The Keene 4" mini and smaller do allow for basic sluice box designs and so a bit closer to my liking there.

However, for me the real kicker tends to parts availability and prices. Keene units simply cost less, and parts are far more available from a wider range of sources. This may not seem like a big deal until you need something like a pump housing for an older unit. This can be extremely important to more serious operators dealing with small windows of opportunity where every day of downtime can cost in many ways.

Add it all up and I lean back towards Keene. That's just me however so I am curious if others have thoughts on the matter.

Here is my last dredge and it was a Keene 4" mini. I don't know that I will own another dredge since my dredging days appear to be past. This is a good little unit though and on target for your question....

4-inch-dredge-herschbach-alaska.jpg.a3b4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve! I appreciate the very thorough and helpful response. Keene seemed to be my initial pick, something like in your picture there is ideal. Just trying to get a gauge of what the community thinks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Creekboy,

Also the type of gold you are chasing has a lot to do with your setup. Where I like to prospect dream mat does much better then the traditional carpet and riffles. In your area the results may be different. But something to keep in mind. Good luck with your decision.

There is something to be said about Proline Dredges as well !!!!!

Everything has it's pro's and cons.. my personal views are:

The Proline dredges are built heavier duty then the Keene however that makes them heavy and the floatation is not big enough for faster water.. I've personally seen the Proline dredges submarine in the faster water, I've never seen a Keene dredge submarine.   

I LOVE the way the flare hooks up to the sluice on the proline dredges.. Keene used to do that many years ago but then went to the crappy design that allows fine gold to escape from around the flare.. not to mention all the nuts and bolts that now requires to attach the keene flare to the sluice. 

I do not like the fact that Proline only uses miners moss in their box's.. there's no way you can make me believe that the riffle system fastens down tight enough to stop the fine gold from creeping out along the bottom of the box.. you must have carpet or atleast ribbed matting under the miners moss.

Proline uses their own type of suction hose with a reverse spiral which seems to be impossible to get except from Proline.. the suction hose that Keene uses you can get anywhere.

Parts are more available and easier to get for the Keene dredges.. If you ever need to borrow a part from a neighbor 80+% of the people out there own a Keene dredge over anything else so are going to more then likely have that spare part you need.

Just my 2 cents..

• Like 3

Just one other little tid bit, the 4" mini is a great little portable dredge, however since it does have a smaller sluice box and flare, I would get it with a suction nozzle and have the lower half the sluice box replaced with #3 expanded metal for better gold recovery..

again.. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Brian the hose proline uses is spiralite 195.  Ive ordered it from a local hose supplier and it was about $170 for 20 feet far cheaper then prolines prices, and it mates right up with prolines hose connection system.  

But i agree keenes are far more widely available.