My First Detector - Coils Waterproof?

Well,

Just joined this wonderful forum. I was trying to decide on my first Detector and found a Deal I couldn't pass on. Took the plunge on a Fisher F70 bonus pack with 11" & 5" coils, Headset, carry bag and some other stuff. $475. I thought that was a good deal. Wasn't planning on spending that much on my first one so i hope it works good enough to find some nice small nuggets! We have a camping trip planned in Sept. in the Sierra Nevada's so I can't wait! Probably do some testing at or near home before the trip just to get a feel for it. Any tips on settings for around / in Streams? Here's a newbie question for you, if the coils are supposed to be waterproof, does that mean i can submerse them in shallow waters to detect? I'm hoping i can along the shores. REALLY itching for my Detector to get here now! Good Hunting! ?

• Like 1

Excellent choice for an all-around metal detector that is affordable.  Definitely read the manual (and more than once)!  Here is an excellent guide to gold hunting:

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/DavesGoldbook-reders.pdf

As far as your question about submersing the coil in water -- yes, you shouldn't have any problems with that alone.  The big problem comes if you slip and fall into the water, dunking you detector.  The F70 control unit isn't waterproof.  If that happens, immediatly turn off the detector and remove the battery.  If possilbe (for example you're in a location that allows and you have the tools) carefully open the control unit and dry it out (gently!).  Canned air is a great way to facilitate drying without doing damage.

My guess is that most waterproof units aren't bought to be used totally underwater but just to be safe in the event that the detector gets dunked.  But with a non-waterproof detector it's still a choice -- risk it getting damged by dunking or risk the enjoyment of water searching by avoiding this activity.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I've taken two of my non-waterproof detectors into creeks and they've lived to tell the story.

• Like 2

Thanks GB. Good to know about not dunking in water. I'm sure i'll be fine. I'm always very careful to be sure footed and NEVER in a hurry. Getting up there in years and i've learned that slow & sure is the way to go. Mother nature isn't going anywhere that you need to keep up! Besides, when you take your time and observe, you would be amazed at what you might not see otherwise. Thanks for the link also. Going to read right now. Happy Hunting!

• Like 1

Thanks Phrunt,

Good advice on the bedrock cracks! I know it's not going to pick up the tiny gold but i would rather spend my time with larger nuggets anyway. We'll see how it goes. Can't find em if you don't look right? Kinda like playing the lottery! But i think much more enjoyable.?

6 hours ago, nuggetnewbie said:

Thanks Phrunt,

Good advice on the bedrock cracks!     I know it's not going to pick up the tiny gold but i would rather spend my time with larger nuggets anyway.       We'll see how it goes. Can't find em if you don't look right? Kinda like playing the lottery! But i think much more enjoyable.?

I know it's not going to pick up the tiny gold but i would rather spend my time with larger nuggets anyway. 

How true but ask most prospectors how many small ones they got before they got an ounce plus nugget You may have to crawl before you Walk, but that said my Brother Inlaw first was 2 ounces so luck can be on your side?  

Don't forget the GPAA which I mentioned in the Meet and Greet thread you started.  Check out their website:  http://www.goldprospectors.org/

There are 17 local chapters in California alone (see the map on the website).  Find one (or more) close to you and contact them to find out when and where they will have their next meeting.  You don't need to be a member to attend the meetings. 

The national organization conducts open-to-the-public regional gold shows (as you'll find on the website) -- about 6 each year.  They do the Western US in the Jan-May time window and the Eastern US in the Autumn.  I don't think they've posted their 2019 shows yet; last two this year are Lawrenceville, GA (20-21 Oct) and Springfield, OH the following weekend.  There should be at least one in California early next year.  But you don't need to wait for those to attend a local chapter meeting.  When you attend a show, make sure to check out the hour-long lecture/presentations which are usually on Saturday.  There will likely be at least one on metal detecting for gold.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to My First Detector - Coils Waterproof?