Another Productive Session With The Equinox

I had another full session out detecting on Sunday 17th June I used the Equinox

I had a decent session with some nice finds but the best was an eyes only it is a Neolithic Flint Arrowhead I also had a hammered silver cut half penny a spindle whorl a bit of Saxon chip carving, a flour bag seal and a poor woman's brooch which when I first saw it I thought it was gold. The Neolithic British Isles refers to the period of British history that spanned from circa 4000 BC to circa 2,500 BC, I also had a lead Spindle Whorl these were used for hand spinning wool and can date as far back as Roman times, I also had a Edward II Hammered Silver Cut Half Penny Edward II (25 April 128421 September 1327)

All Finds 17th June 2018 (Cleaned).jpg

Hammered Silver Cut Half Penny 17th June 2018 (Cleaned Obv).jpg

Neolithic Flint Arrowhead 17th June 2018 (1).jpg

Neolithic Flint Arrowhead 17th June 2018 (2).jpg

Saxon Chip Carving Bronze 17th June 2018 (1).jpg

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Another Productive Session With The Equinox

Randy!

You must be kidding ... that "KIEL" thing seems to have its origin ~2km from where I live.. crazy!

Google Maps Link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinclair said:

Randy!

You must be kidding ... that "KIEL" thing seems to come ~2km from where I live.. crazy!

Google Maps Link

Hello Sinclair

Here in the UK we find many different flour bag seals from various country's but most originate from Germany and the Kiel one's date as far back as the mid 1600's.  I have posted a photograph of the front and back of the one I found on Sunday, over the years I have found many "Flour Bag Seals"   also here below is an article about the same seal which I found, you might be able to relate the location of the flour millers.

http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=31&g2_page=65

German, Flour Bag Seal, Baltische Mühlehn Gesellschaft

One side has a raised circular border with NEW PROCESS curved around the top inside of the border and FLOUR straight across the centre and a diamond at the bottom.
The other side can be found on other seals and consists of a continuous raised line circular border with the following German words around the inner edge: BALTISCHE MUHLEHN GESELLSCHAFT . with NEUMüHLEN curved above a dash dot dash centre piece and KIEL straight across below it.

A flour bag seal from Neumühlen (= New mills), a suburb of Kiel in Northern Germany.

Flour Bag Seal 17th June 2018 ( Rear ).jpg

Flour Bag Seal 17th June 2018 ( Front ).jpg

• Like 2

I think it's from the "Holsatiamühle".

There were many mills located at the "Schwentine" river driven by waterpower or steam engines back in the days.

From Google Translate:

"The first beginnings of the mill site "Neumühlen" date back to the 14th century. At that time a mill was built for the first time in the area of the lower rivercourse. This was consistently expanded and expanded over the next few centuries. Around the building developed a busy traffic infrastructure. Around 1860, the existing buildings were demolished and built a completely new mill with six floors and sixty mill works. After a devastating fire in 1874, the building had to be completely rebuilt. This was the largest mill in the entire German Reich at the time, with even eighty mill works. Exports spanned the world.

As the mill developed, so did the demand for labor. This contributed to the sustainable development of the district. Until 1992, the mill was in operation. This year, mill operations were discontinued because production conditions deteriorated significantly due to the environmental impact on neighboring residential and mixed areas."

The "Baltische Mühlengesellschaft AG" took over business in 1881, so your seal will date somewhere in that ballpark.

That's where it was located: Google Maps Link

I live in "Schönkirchen", so that's almost like down the road ?

Nice find!

• Like 2