This Was An Interesting Find From A Town Green

Did you notice the letters/numbers on the first photo, about 6 O'clock, roughly halfway from center to edge?  Looks like 'PAS 19' but not sure, especially the 'S'.

Somethings that big only hitting 35 makes me think it's not a very high conductor (so it's not copper).  What's "an old round"?

• The title was changed to This Was An Interesting Find From A Town Green

foreverteachable,

You certainly got my attention with those two pics!! I am a former Marine Corps tank commander, I left Vietnam and was honorably discharged in 1968. Hard to believe it has been fifty years now. Hard to say for sure, but you have got the primer end of a shell casing from a fairly good sized round. It could have been a actual live round or a blank, but it was fired, as you can see where the firing pin struck the primer. It looks like the casing was machined , possibly to be used as an ash tray or change cup? If from a Marine or Army weapon, I would say possibly 75MM, 90MM, or 105MM. If Navy, it might be something like a 3"/50 caliber naval gun. Have you tried a magnet on it? The 90MM main gun on my tank fired six different types of rounds, only one of those rounds had a brass casing (white phosphorus), all of the other rounds had steel casings. Hope you can pin it down as to what it is, curious to know what you come up with!!

Semper Fi  .......

Joe

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joe Fortunato said:

foreverteachable,

You certainly got my attention with those two pics!! I am a former Marine Corps tank commander, I left Vietnam and was honorably discharged in 1968. Hard to believe it has been fifty years now. Hard to say for sure, but you have got the primer end of a shell casing from a fairly good sized round. It could have been a actual live round or a blank, but it was fired, as you can see where the firing pin struck the primer. It looks like the casing was machined , possibly to be used as an ash tray or change cup? If from a Marine or Army weapon, I would say possibly 75MM, 90MM, or 105MM. If Navy, it might be something like a 3"/50 caliber naval gun. Have you tried a magnet on it? The 90MM main gun on my tank fired six different types of rounds, only one of those rounds had a brass casing (white phosphorus), all of the other rounds had steel casings. Hope you can pin it down as to what it is, curious to know what you come up with!!

Semper Fi  .......

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe and for your service. I served 4 years with First Tanks 7th Marines. We had the M1A1 Tanks and 120mm rounds. I will measure the diameter of the shell tonight. For now though I'll share what TnShooter shared on another forum, "

Kind of looks like a US - 75mm

See link to pic below for comparison.

https://goo.gl/images/LFQqrF

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Foldguns.net%2Fpix%2F17708G.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Foldguns.net%2Fcatho.htm&docid=ryqMcwKJej1a7M&tbnid=bW_hC9tjJ8pxzM%3A&vet=1&w=1062&h=998&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Hope it helps."

Semper Fi!

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did you notice the letters/numbers on the first photo, about 6 O'clock, roughly halfway from center to edge?  Looks like 'PAS 19' but not sure, especially the 'S'.

Somethings that big only hitting 35 makes me think it's not a very high conductor (so it's not copper).  What's "an old round"?

I did see the letters and numbers but can't make out anymore but there were some in the center around what looks like a primer. I said, "old round" because the tanks in the Marines that I worked on had a round made of powder with a cap at the end of it. I thought this might be a tank or artillery round cap.

• Like 2

Small world foreverteachable, and thank you for your service. This metal detecting thing that all of us are into here , is a ton of fun!! Steve has put together a terrific forum for us to be a part of. 

Have fun out there!!!

Semper Fi ......

Joe

• Thanks 2