Newbie Question

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Go someplace with easy digging, like a sandy beach of sand or wood chips around playground equipment. Go aluminum detecting. Aluminum and gold read the same, and your goal is to find the smallest aluminum you can find. The smaller the aluminum you can find, the smaller the gold you can find. If you concentrate on learning to find the smallest stuff, the big stuff will take care of itself. This is also a good time to get a scoop and practice recovery technique. Many new people waste too much time recovering tiny targets.

To give you an idea - aluminum cans have a square opening tab held on by a tiny aluminum rivet. People tear the tab off (why, oh why do they?) and so we find all those. Big easy targets. My nugget detectors let me find the little rivet!

You are chasing whisper signals and it does take significant expertise. Remember, you are practicing finding small gold. Don't get frustrated you are digging aluminum - that is the goal. If you dig enough, gold may appear in the form of jewelry. Inevitable really if you do it enough.

Tip On Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets

Nugget Scoops

Thanks Steve. Great advise! I was going to ask what metal if any, detected like gold as my detector doesn't have a "gold" readout on top. I've already dug a few tabs in my yard. Now to fine tune and hunt for rivets! Thanks again.