Question On Recovery Speed And Iron Falsing And Depth

2 hours ago, RenoGeoff said:

What annoys me the most is the iron falsing at the end and beginning of each swing I seem to be getting a constant chirp while the coil changing directions.

Are you doing a (auto) ground balance?  If you're lifting your coil slightly at the end of your swing (I know I do) the out-of-balance ground may be the cause of the iron signal.  I know the manual says leave the ground balance set to the default (zero) unless you are experiencing ground falsing.  The implication is that mild ground doesn't need adjustment.  My ground isn't particularly mineralized but I've certainly noticed signals from the ground when the coil gets closer and farther from the surface.  I've just gotten into the habit of ground balancing every time out, and sometimes check during a session as it can change even in my mild-to-moderate ground.

I'm constantly working on my coil control as I know, particularly for gold hunting, that keeping the coil a consistent height helps.  But just like a golf swing, unless you're the 1 in a million born with the knack it takes lots of practice (that is, time in the field).

• Like 2

I tried field 2 tonight with recovery on 6 and your spot on with that, the faster sweep speed netted me more falsing. I think for me personally recovery 5 and slow and low, seems to do the trick even in trashy sites.

• Like 1

In Field 2, on the 800, I generally keep the recovery speed at 5/6 unless I'm in machine gun iron then I speed it up to 7. At which point, I also bump the iron bias up from 1or 2 to 3 which helps eliminate some of the falsing. It's a trade off. I would rather dig a few falses than miss a keeper hiding in the iron. The stregnth of the Nox is it's ability (speed of recovery) to separate in the heavy trash. Lowering the recovery speed in a trashy area is like putting a two barrel carburator on a Lamborghini. Over time you will be able to hear the "tells" of falses in the faster settings.  Nevertheless, we will still get fooled now and then. Also, lowering the sensitivity a couple of points will help with the falsing as well.

Dean

• Like 4

I was referring to the recovery speed I prefer to use as 5 with a slower sweep speed, after much practice I have got my sweep speed to the point where I have no falsing at all. The faster you sweep the more falsing you seem to get and after trying field 2 for the first time last night I would say that park 2 has less falsing with the higher sweep speed but tonally field 2 seems a little clearer. To be fair I mean no falsing where I cant tell it is junk.

• Like 3

At the beach I am finding that higher recovery speed (6+) can bring on an increase in the channel multitone noise.  If I bring the speed down to 3 or 4 it is much better.  Sometimes I get a tone at the end of each sweep and I can tweak it out by playing with the recovery speed +/-1 or 2.  With this done I can get sensitivity back up to 23+ sometimes.  Even so, I take the detector to a beach 5 miles away and the same settings don't work well at all.  I don't see/hear much of any benefit of the recovery speed setting other than this. 

• Like 3

Very high speed speeds are more Emi sensible- because it is less ground signal -less signal coin -and more Emi signal plus-and very short time for analizing less signal- in this case less recovery help.  To see     for deep signals ,,,but also for very small objects-even in a small depth  this- signal not very clean..its type color-ferous tone.-in very high recovery speed..so gold detectors do not have a super high recovery speed, but only reasonably fast...

• Like 2

A smart person will follow Chase Goldmans advice. I have never found him to be wrong. He keeps it simple and explains it well. In the long run mo matter how you tweak your detector you will find a sweet spot that fits your detecting style. 

• Thanks 1