Aftermarket Coils For Gm1000??

I was just wondering if there was any plans of aftermarket coils being produced for the Minelab GM1000? I can think of a couple reasons why they would be welcomed. The coils seem to be impact sensitive, and the coils do not have good edge sensitivity. Am also wondering if a concentric coil can be built to work on the gm1000? I tend to prefer concentric coils over dd's for vlf nugget detecting.

• The title was changed to Aftermarket Coils For GM1000??

Interesting thing about the Gold Monster is it was designed for Africa and I have to assume the vast majority are sold there. And while the machine has done well in the U.S. I get the impression the Aussies have generally decided it is not up to their mineralization? Whatever, the point being that unless a company has some kind of African distribution network then producing an accessory coil for the Gold Monster might not be a great idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats great news. I have never heard of mars coils, but oh well.  If they make it and it works very well and has good depth then ok. I am interested in a larger coil for the monster than the 6x10. Something like a 15" with a high quality coil cable like what is on coilteks coils.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been talking now with Mars for the past 6 weeks about a coil for the Gold Monster! To start with they weren’t overly interested but I’ve reached out to as many people as I can to contact them about making one for it and have explained the problems with the factory coil and how there’s potentially thousands of people interested in buying one if one was produced, they hadn’t even seen the Gold Monster at that stage but now due to other’s contacting them as well I spoke again with her last week and they have gone out and brought a Gold Monster now to see if it’s possible to make one for it so that in itself was promising especially when they’ve gone to that effort as she said they had to buy it from Russia as it wasn’t available in there country!.

So I’d suggest others to also contact Mars to really push the fact that there’s plenty of others out there wanting a coil due to the bump/touch sensitivity issues with the stock one. As I said to her who ever makes one will have the Gold Monster Coil market all to themselves. So everyone need to send them an email!!, as everyone else I contacted gave me a flat out no they weren’t interested in making one for it.

Cheers

• Like 1

I wonder if a little 3x6 concentric would work on a GM1000? Or if any concentric would?  I see the new 24K comes with a dd and a concentric. I am partial to concentric coils on VLF machines.

15 hours ago, Mxt Sniper said:

I wonder if a little 3x6 concentric would work on a GM1000? Or if any concentric would?  I see the new 24K comes with a dd and a concentric. I am partial to concentric coils on VLF machines.

Yer I’m not sure MXT, but if you haven’t done yet please send Mars an email about making a coil and the issues with the Gold Monster coils as we need everyone getting on board and letting them know that there are plenty of us that want and need a coil that doesn’t have the bump/touch sensitivity issues and it needs to be super sensitive on tiny gold..

If you send me a message I can give you her personal email so she gets it direct.

Cheers 

• 2 years later...

The GM1000 coils have an IC onboard. I've taken apart a GM05 just to see what's in there. Long ago, I threw away the coil but kept the PCB. The wires were very thin, but didn't appear to be litz, as is normally assumed.

The IC reads: LGHN N885 649

Hard to tell what that main IC does. Surely it couldn't handle both the ADC and DAC. The top pins come from the detector

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Screenshot_20200810_133443.jpeg

So it must be a proprietary chip? I found no info about what it could be, but could remove it from the board and follow traces and datasheets to try and find out. That takes a bit of dedication to do though, looking through a sea of datasheets. So normally people who do it have more experience than me, and can narrow it down from PCB layout and supply pins

I'm ambitious, and think there's still a chance for an aftermarket coil. It seems unlikely for minelab to make their own IC. So it could be an easily available IC that needs a little work on PCB design to make a working coil.

The patent for GM1000 talks about operating the coil in resonance, or possibly in a phase locked loop. A bit of R&D is probably needed to make coils of a different size. The passive components could be optimized for the standard coil design.

As an experiment, I could adapt a 12" detech coil to see how it behaves with the GM05 IC. If that works ok, then replicating the PCB would be the main challenge for aftermarketting, instead of needing more thorough R&D or reverse engineering. The IC has 5 input wires to the coil, Tx, Rx and shield. That'd be a cool experiment. I'd want aftermarket for the sake of getting deeper targets

Edit: I tried the 12" coil. It was detected and sensing targets, but for some reason couldn't get any deeper than the stock GM10 coil. I'm guessing the IC or the circuit on it is tuned for the GM05 coil it came from

• Like 1