Nugget Scoops - Do You Use One?

Nugget Scoops - Do You Use One?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use A Nugget Scoop To Recover Gold Nuggets?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only on rare occasions

I also use the "divide and conquer" method, but a little different version than yours. All of you GPZ users know exactly what I mean. If you find a very small nugget, once you have moved it, it can be very hard to locate. Instead of turning the coil over, I find something that will elevate the coil, then I pass the scoop over and under the hot spot.  Before I started doing it that way, I had thrown nuggets in the discard pile because of too much dirt in the scoop.

Just another way to do it.  Norm

• Like 3

That is an old article that had hot VLF detectors in mind, and in particular the Gold Bug 2 concentrics, which are hottest dead center. With PI detectors or the GPZ it’s different. GPZ I do use the top rear of the coil while others use the top front. The hot spots are where the windings cross over. PI mono coils are hotter at the edges than the middle. So really it just depends where the coil hot spots are.

Thats not a yes/no/rarely answer for me.   Spoked coils I always use a scoop. I never use a scoop with the 7000 and 14" coil, I just push the dirt around on top of the coil till I locate the target. With the 2300 if its a nice loud signal I push the dirt around on the coil, if it`s a small target with the 2300, I use the scoop.      Steve am I allowed to select all three answers?  ?

• Haha 1

Had a bit of a go with a scoop years back, it didn`t work for me, just drop material on top of coil and move round with finger, works a treat with the Z on front/top of coil. No troubles just is important to work sensitive edge of the coil once signal is dug out to pinpoint easily.

When you're running the Z, you have a good idea if it's a small piece or a gnat.  I use divide and conquer for the large or small pieces, but the ones that are faint, I will put dirt in the scoop and then run the coil over the ground to see if I got it.  Then I will spread it out on the coil like Phoenix said, either moving it with my finger or blowing the lighter stuff away.  I used to lose the really small pieces before because I didn't know how to separate the really small < .03g pieces.  Now I get those little suckers every time :)

• Like 1

Started using one when the GB2 came out,  before that I just dribbled the dirt onto the top of the coil and listened for the nugget to hit.