Hey Fisher, Can You Hear Me?

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, and since Carl is the “new guy” at First Texas, he can hardly answer for what went on before his watch. It takes time to turn the “ship”. White’s loss was First Texas gain.

Totally agree, and believe me I've been rooting for FTP for years, and have had many FTP detectors.   

It helps that the tiny Turkey company gets government grant money for their projects and doesn't have to rely on sales to fund themselves.

HH
Mike 

1 hour ago, Geotech said:

Cal, your criticisms are fair and well-deserved. FTP has been focused on owning the low-end mass market (which has been successful) but allowed the higher end to stagnate. It's been a struggle, and continues to be, but I now have people in place who can change this. It takes time and there's nothing I can do but keep working until it's done. Hopefully the result will speak for itself.

I'm very much looking forward to what you and your team design, I know it's not easy to innovate, and engineering takes time.   

I remember when I was in a telecommunications class in college, the professor said that modems were tapped out at 9.6 kbps.  I recall thinking this was bs because T1 carrier lines that had been around since the early 1960's used a similar schema over a four-wire transmission circuit, and low and behold, the next thing you know, a 14.4kbps modem was out, then 28.8,K 56K and so on. 

10 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

It helps that the tiny Turkey company gets government grant money for their projects and doesn't have to rely on sales to fund themselves.

HH
Mike 

Sorry I fail to see the relevance?  Money is money, regardless of it's source. 

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I still have a soft spot for my T2, it was my first REAL detector...

I had a soft spot for my CZ70's, but finally sold my last one after getting the EQ800, just wasn't relevant any longer. 

On 6/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

Sorry I fail to see the relevance?  Money is money, regardless of it's source. 

So if somebody hands me non-repayable cash (a grant).....that is the same as using my own money to R&D a project? 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:39 PM, Mike Hillis said:

HH
Mike 

Most european governments support innovations in technology and the arts very well.  Definitely not a negative,  makes sense to promote innovation and creativity.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheHunterGT said:

So if somebody hands me non-repayable cash (a grant).....that is the same as using my own money to R&D a project? 

Obviously not to finance, but to the people developing the projects, it's immaterial. 

Do you think the lack of attention to innovating/developing their high end machines is because FTP is broke?  FTP doesn't appear to be hurting for money, so I doubt this is a money problem as much as it's a leadership problem.  

Heck Cal - always enjoy reading your stuff and look forward to more - but...

you have diagnosed a leadership problem?  I wonder what data you have to support that conclusion?

Problem? Yes indeed. Several years go by and projects which were expected to reach market in a year or two are still not out there.

What about the fact that doing something truly new in the small world of hobby and prospecting metal detecting is hard up against a tight corner in the hard world of physic - getting more target intelligence out of the ground is hard. Add to that fact that the companies nvolved are TINY on the scale of industrial and tech companies.  

Limited development budgets, the need to continue to develop and refine products for the whole range of the metal detector market world-wide, the fact that there are probably not more than a dozen top-flight metal detector designers in the whole world.  You think some of these thing might be the problem - maybe - instead of “leadership”?

If Nokta/Makro are receiving Turkish government financal support, do you think that that helps them continue to crank our new models of VLF detectors at a rate just a bit less than the cyclical rate of a German MG-42 machine gun?. Heck no, it’s no doubt due to having a capable and focused engineering group - unencumbered by the need to support dozens of existing models of hobby and industrial detectors.

But even at their rapid pace, the  “whirling dervishes” (no disrespect intended) of Istanbul haven’t yet managed to bring out a simultaneous multifrequency machine, something which Minelab and Fisher managed more than two decades ago and which ML has continued to further develop culminating in their latest “Wunderwaffen”.

It takes Apple with mega billions of net worth and tens of thousands of engineers about 5 years to bring a product from concept to market.

Give our favorite companies a break - without them we would be playing golf (oh lord, wash my mouth out with soap)!

• Like 3