White's MXT Will Go Down In History As All Time Favorite

My hats off to you Jim, as those are more rare than gold in my opinion.  Your are 100% correct in mentioning to folks, the possibility is there, but the reality is hard work, research, knowledge of detector, plenty of swing time, even more removing of undesired trash targets and then if you are fortunate a little luck will shine.  Your attention to detail on the photos is spot on too.  The opportunity is out there if you want to work at it.  Thanks again my friend and if you ever get down and west this way, let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

I too enjoyed the Super 12" round coil later names 300MM.  Thanks for adding to the post and sharing Success.  Well done.

Gerry If you have the chance you might like to check out the Detech 14x10 DD because it has the depth comparable to that of the 12"/300 Coil but it has the weight similar to that of the White's 10" DD Coil, I liked the first one I bought that much that I ordered another one the very next day, One weighs about 5 grams less than the 10" DD and the other weighs about 5 grams more which must be due to either the potting or the cable length  and the balance is way better than the 10" DD, the coil just glides over the ground and it has good depth to match, It has the same sensitivity as the 6x10 and it as very good separation too, Being a DD also helps when hunting in hotter ground were the 12"/300 might loose a bit of depth,

hope that helps,

John.

• Like 2

I must be getting slow in my old age because I don't know how I missed this one "Video"  but it just goes to show how smaller Gold that the MXT can see using the 4x6 shooter coil but I would like to add that the 5.3 is even hotter, His GND readings are between 68 and 71 and even though they are so small he is still getting some high VDI numbers also,  those tiny bits that he classified are about the size of grains of sugar, The larger bits in the other bags are 1 grain flat pieces sort of rectangular and hand cut out of a sheet of Gold which most detectors should be able to get a response, but on those Classified Specs it is pretty amazing for a VLF,

Enjoy,

John.

• Like 2

I love my MXT... And my V3i.... With those two machines I have everything i want to do covered.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

I love my MXT... And my V3i.... With those two machines I have everything i want to do covered.

Yeah for sure, I think it is pretty amazing that he got VDI readings on those classified specs, even though there was a few bits in the bag it has no effect in helping the detector see them better the only way it would help is if they were melted together, The smallest bit I have found with mine was 0.09 grains or 0.006 grams.

John you need a PI to go with those two Beauties,  Tell your wife I said it was Ok for you to buy one, and don't worry she can't hit me from there, lololol.

• Haha 1

LOL.... If I could get out to areas that required one you can bet I would have one.... 

Time and knees kinda dictate what I get to do anymore.

TV was junk tonight So I settled in for some Coil testing and I was watching Gerry's Video about setting up the GMT because I saved it to my YT channel when he first up loaded it and I watch it every now and then, He was talking about hot rocks/cold rocks anyways I was sure that I got the MXT to hit them harder and that the sound was more Bell like, anyways I had the 10"2D coil fitted and the response from a hot rock was somewhat muted and I messed with the settings firing up the MXT with the tracking on so I could then lock it to "50" and it was still noticeable then I tried the 14x10 Detech and it was the same as the 10" 2D coil and then I fitted up the 6x10 and it was a fraction sharper not much, Then I hooked up the 5.3 Concentric and BOOM clear as a bell, I tried it in the default Relic mode and that was very bell like and in the Prospecting mode it was a 65%+ stronger than using a DD. Then I tried the 950 concentric and it was strong like the 5.3 coil was.

On Gerry's Video the hot rocks on the GMT sound like a blend of tones some weak some a bit strong, This got me thinking that if a person was to fit the old Whites GMII coil to the GMT or that new 6" round coil being a concentric it would ID hot rocks a lot better than the 2D 6x10 GMT coil does and save a lot of digging, Bottom line is if you can get away with using a small concentric on either of these 2 machines I don't think you would ever dig another hot rock.

Of coarse by using a DD it will mask the sound of hot rocks to a fair degree so it boils down do you want to ID them or try and mask them out as to which coil type you use, I know concentrics have worked for me searching old camp fires where I found a heap of coins between the bottle caps.

Seeing as it was your Video Gerry that gave me the idea maybe you might want to test the theory out some time,

hope that helps.

John.

• Like 1