14k Gold With Diamond Engagement Ring Return

Nice return!  As for me I found this big 10k Gardner Webb University ring tbe very first time out with my equinox 800.  In fact it the 3rd I'd ever dug with it!  After I got home I did an online search of the graduating class and found the name that the initials on the inside of the ring matched up to.  After I had the name my wife used her Facebook and found the guy's phone number through a mutual friend.  I called him and we met up at the soccer field where I found it.  He was very happy to get it back!  Btw, it rang up exactly the same as a fresh zinc penny (20-21).

20180308_173430_HDR.jpg

20180308_185447_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

NCToad,  Yes the NOX is a gold ring magnet.  I have recovered 24 pieces of gold/platinum/palladium so far.  Your 14.85 gram hog is the largest I have seen so far.   Great story and thanks for sharing.

Fred,  Yes it is odd how some folks react or lack of when something is returned.  I returned a high dollar diamond ring to the Principal of an Elementary School 10+ years ago and never even got a phone call, letter or any kind of Thanks You.  What was odd is one of my friends who's child went to that school, reached out to me for help as she knew I was good with a detector.  Here is a photo of that ring.  In the end, we have to live with ourselves and I feel you did the right thing.  Karma is great.

DSCN5773.JPG

RinPost.jpg

• Like 8

Fred

My father in law found found both rings this girl lost and when he did the grandmother said I know she will want to thank you. She took his address but never heard a word. They had paid over three thousand and was still paying on them but as said you done the right thing.

• Like 1

One of the best I can remember. I was hunting at a small high school and the ground caretaker came up telling me a story about a young man. This kid was at a game there and loved football but couldn’t play because of a physical problem. His team scored he jumped up and his hands went up with the ring flying. It was his senior ring and a very sad kid went home that night.

I’d hunted that school so many times but still thinking about that ring  This day I was leaving and as always I’d slide the coil on the ground in front of me. I got a good signal so I stopped and started digging. Well low and behold here was this senior ring about 4” down. After cleaning it off I knew I had that boys ring. I think at the time that ring had been in the ground for three years.

After a week I got off and went to another small town to it’s high school. The office was helpful in looking up his name. The lady said he had family members in the school that could tell me how to get to his house out in the country. Well when I got to his home he was at work but mom was there. I told her why I was there and she said I know he’ll want to thank you . She took my address but I told her he didn’t owe me nothing. About a week had past and here was a letter from him with a thank you note plus a check for five dollars.

This all took place about 1970 and it was when I still had my White’s BFO detector. I think the next year if not the next when I got the 66 TR.

I’ve found other rings and with some I got a thank you but others didn’t even say kiss my foot.

I keep repeating over and over You Done The Right Thing. haha

Chuck

• Like 3

Nice recoveries all!  Have returned many a class ring but only a few in person.

This post reminds me I have one to do and will get on it now.  News at 11.

Update:

Well that was a quick one!

I found it on the second pass across the front of the beach in thigh deep water.  The ring was lost a few years ago by the son-in-law of the property owners.   We sent him a text with pics and sat down on the porch for a cold one. ?

IMG_20180627_172451252.thumb.jpg.8b9bec55a1a480722b626d1a0ed0143d.jpg

14K white gold 9.8 grams TID 15IMG_20180627_171003771.thumb.jpg.4d504a8cc325de19a62ac303c0772527.jpg

• Like 2

The next story had to do with another senior ring and this took place about 1972. I think at the time I didn’t have my new White’s long and it was a 66 T R.

I had been working for the phone company about 7 years but I remember I had a dealership with White’s. One day this high school kid I knew came in and wanted to know if I rent detectors. I didn’t but I ask why he needed one. He started telling me his ring flew out while him and some friends was driving down this country road. I could see this story had holes in it from the start. I told him just how did your ring fly off your hand ? Then the truth came out with him telling me that he was throwing a bottle at a road sign.

After he let that cat out of the bag and said where at . I said I’d go look for it one day within a week maybe two . I couldn’t been over a week I was on that road  . I told my wife let’s look for that ring . My wife hunted also and she had a White’s coin master . Well I think that’s what you called it then.

I took a look at the sign and started hunting away from the sign as what I thought the ring would fly. I couldn’t have made over three swings with the coil and got a signal. I looked down and laying in the grass was the ring.

I told my wife let’s go. She ask you not going to hunt for that ring and I said I found it already.

I can’t remember if he said thank you but I think he did.

Like always I Done The Right Thing Again 

I seen this diver found a money clip with a credit card and two one hundred bills. So he didn’t have any trouble finding the guy . I’m not sure I may have ask for the serial numbers of the big bills. haha Just want to make sure it gets back to the right person.

Chuck

• Like 1

Gerry you the one that left the gate open so I got another story dealing with a senior ring,

You would think as much time I spent in school yards I’d be smarter than I am.

I was hunting in this school yard around this thing called a merry go round. I do remember they could be killers if you fall off while that thing was spinning.

I had gotten a signal way under it and had to work my self just to get where I detected something. Well I’m telling myself you made it so start digging. It wasn’t too deep and out pop another senior ring. After I had cleaned it up I could see it came from a high school in a small town near the one I was in.

I remembered that a sister in law had went to that same school. She took one look at the ring and said she knows who it belongs to and the guy was some how a family member. What I didn’t tell you that the ring had a spring inside to make it smaller. 

Well we made a phone call to find out where he lived.  Then I high tail it out there to return the ring 

Now like Paul Harvey you get the rest of the story now.

When I got to his house to told me how it got lost in the first place. This story wouldn’t be complete without woman in it .

His girlfriend had his senior ring and that’s why the spring inside to make it smaller . She was babysitting across the street from the school and took the kids over to play and while there she lost the ring.

All stories should have a happy ending and this one does.

The young man got his senior ring back and he got the girl. I don’t remember how long they had been married but they were.

Oh yes I got a thank you from both of them.

Chuck

• Like 4

Sorry I didn’t put a date on my last story. The thing is I was out there detecting long before you were a twinkle in your daddy’s eye. 

Heck me and Custer was running buddies until he got his butt in a crack with those Indians.

Isn’t this a great Forum!

Chuck

• Haha 1