Swim Beach Freshwater Question

I got permission to search a sandy fresh water swim beach at a campground. I was at this same beach 20 years ago but they refused to let us in the water. It just now dawned on me as to why? It was AFTER  Labor day and NO lifeguard on duty. So, will hit the place after July 4 Holiday  and do it during the week to avoid weekend crowds.

My question is this. When we were there 20 years ago, we actually did pretty good with our Fisher CZ 6 machines on just the beach. We got over $30 in loose change, no rings, BUT somehow we got a few mercury dimes and a silver nickel in 1 spot, just inches deep in the sand. How the heck did the silver get there? In the water itself, at one certain spot near where we got the silver coins, every time a swell would come in, I could not help but notice  but what looked like hundreds of clad quarters would rise up out of the sand underwater. The little swell would recede and the quarters would vanish. But we were forbidden to even touch the water and the owners had the evil eye on us.  I thought quarters were heavy and would sink in loose white  sand? Why would they be concentrated along 10 feet of the shoreline and in less than a foot of water? Just glad I noticed and remembered this from 20 years ago. Hopefully nobody else noticed since then? Wonder if I should use one of them sharks teeth scooper things I saw on Ebay for working this spot or just detect and dig with beach scoop? I will be using my older Headhunter Diver and AT Pro machines.

Thanks,

-Tom