Problems With The Fisher F-Pulse

In which case, please ignore all my advice.

Those primary Lithium cells put out around 1.8 Volts when fresh, that's where they differ from regular alkaline cells ( and NiMH / NiCad ). It's likely that Fisher didn't design the pointer with those cells in mind, hence the circuit not behaving. As far as Why?, it's hard to tell, no-one has reverse-engineered one.

I've heard of a similar issue with the Tek T2 / F75 when run on these cells. The total voltage is over 7 V, ( four AA's ) and the 6 Volt regulator circuit doesn't function, and the resulting supply is unregulated and noisy.

There are Lithium rechargeable AA's that have the same voltage as regular alkalines. I use them in my Tesoro and they perform phenomenally. NiMH run at 1.2-1.3 volts and I avoided them as Tesoro at the time said they would perform poorly. I am sure they are ok in a flashlight or something that can use the lower voltage. 

As far as the ProFind 35 it's ok. My first one died in 2 months. They repaired or replaced it and the new one would be incredibly unstable to the point I often thought of just leaving in the hole I just dug. About a month ago it fell out of the holster and hit the basement cement floor pretty hard and now works very good....

Thought for sure it was toast after being dropped.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, phrunt said:

So, as time's gone by how are people feeling about the F-pulse now and their reliability? I'm in the market for a new pinpointer and I guess it's between the F-Pulse and the Minelab 35.  I'm a Carrot AT user and really like it but would like some more depth if possible.  I tried a TRX and don't like it at all.   I like it's tip sensitivity but it's depth is worse than my Carrot by quite a bit.

There are many reports of faulty F-pulse pointers but I know most users only say something if there is something wrong, if it's all good there is no need to speak 😉

Hi phrunt ,

I'm going to purchase a pinpointer shortly , at the moment I'm between the Minelab 35 and either XP Deus  M14 or M16 . Can't find a lot of info on the XP's , what's your thoughts .

Cheers

goldrat

If depth is what you're after you can't do better than the F-Pulse and Tek-Point. The only one that is on point or close is the TRX, which is my other pinpointer. 

• Like 1