Equinox Fulfilling My Expectations

When I first read that the 800 had adjustable tone breaks, adjustable tone pitch and an extremely fast recovery speed, I knew at that moment I wanted one. The waterproofing and lightweight are just the icing on the cake. I had tried the Makro Impact and Racer looking for a fast and adjustable machine for my cherry picking hunts, but, I just never gelled with either one.  From my very first hunt with the Nox,I felt that my expectations had been satisfied with a very affordable and feature packed detector.

Today was the perfect example of why I bought the Nox,  short cherry picking hunting. I was running Park 1... 2 tones...default GB...recovery speed 6....iron bias 0....tone break at 22...full volume...no discrimination and sensitivity at 22

I hit a very small park that was built in the late 50's   I've taken a couple of dozen wheats out with the Etrac and CTX, but, no silver. That came to an end today while hunting with the Equinox . First good hit was a 57 wheat, I checked the spot after I replaced the plug and got a nice high tone with a solid 31-32 VDI, I already knew what was there headbang.gif Prettiest sight I've seen in quite some time, some shiny!!  Within 30 minutes I hit the rosie followed by a couple more wheats, an oriental coin and the junk ring. I did not dig one zincoln today laughing7.gif   

I think I may have dug 4-5 pieces of junk, but, I spent most of my time digging nothing but coins. If this had been an older park, I would have had a different approach obviously.

Ruiz Park Finds 7-1-2018.jpg

Ruiz park 7-1-2018.jpg

• Like 7

Nice haul, Dan, especially the silver!

Did you leave the ground balance setting at 0?  About how deep were your key finds?

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice haul, Dan, especially the silver!

Did you leave the ground balance setting at 0?  About how deep were your key finds?

Thank you,  when I first got the Nox, I would do a manual GB, now, I leave at 0, it seems to do just fine at that setting.  Most of the finds were 4-7" down, not sure how I missed them with the Etrac or the CTX. I had gridded the site from both directions with both machines. I cannot explain how in the world I missed the wheats and the silvers ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Congrats on the silver!  That's a great idea using 2 tones with the break at 22, I'll have to try that.  What approach would you have used at an older park?

Park 1.... 5 tones...with tones breaks set to make the nickle range tight (12-14)  other setting the same.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

Curious about the zinc pennies - were there none present or did you avoid digging them somehow?

I've been using two tones and a tone break at 22 on my Equinox 600 for several months.  Zincolns will not give a high tone with this setup, and are easy to avoid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

I cannot explain how in the world I missed the wheats and the silvers

Target masking, plain and simple. The Equinox is doing just what it was designed to do... in the right hands. Good job Dan!

• Like 1

Smart hunting Dan. It's fun to read your straight-forward practical approach. Nice finds too.

6 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

Park 1.... 5 tones...with tones breaks set to make the nickle range tight (12-14)  other setting the same.

Thanks for the reply.  That's how I also set up my tone breaks in 5 tones, but I narrow the nickel range to 12 and 13 only.  Too many pull tabs at 14.  I also set my tone pitch for nickels at 20 instead of 25.  That way I don't have to look at the display and tell from tones only if nickel or other.