Seems like the GPZ 7000 has sucked all the air out of the world of minelab interested folks.

All of a sudden I see no new stories about how the SDC 2300 is opening up all those sites where there was high mineralization and small gold. Now I don't doubt for a moment that that detector is still capable of doing that.

Likewise I haven't seen a lot of questions lately on what coil I should get for my GPX 5000.

If you have money to spend on a new minelab gold detector – it seems like the only relevant question is do you spend $10,000 or hang around and try to recover from the psychic shock of the introduction of the new model and it's quite frankly shocking cost

I suspect that sales of the GPX 5000 will dry out for a while especially given the very attractive price is asked for good clean used machines with an assortment of coils. Whether sales of the GPX will ever pick up again somewhat depends on what prices new detectors are going for and how superior the GPZ actually turns out to be.

As far as the SDC 2300 I suspected folks like me who have something like an SD2100 will think that it might make a nice combo given that the total investment in the pair of them could be well under $4000.

As Bob Dylan once said "time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind – when you go your way and I go mine"

• Like 1

Follow up – yesterday I checked eBay for used SDC 2300s. there were still a couple of folks offering more or less new inbox ones for around $2900.

The GPX 5000 prices seem to have pretty much sunk to between three and $4000 often with a large collection of coils.

ML had the big combo deal at the end of 2014 where you could buy a 2300 and a 5000 really cheap I doubt seriously that that represented a big discount on the 2300 but in fact a very deep discount on the 5000. Lots of units hanging around unsold and the end of the year coming up and they had to go.

Oh well this has nothing to do with finding gold – so all of you get back to busily trying to find gold and leave me, stuck here in Abu Dhabi, doing purchasing and price analysis on a Government contract, and putting my spare brain cells to work meditating on the wonders of minelab pricing.

Bedtime

Remember the pic I posted of the guys in Africa. A row in front with metal detectors, and a bigger row in back with picks and shovels. After the madness of a few years ago where 4500‘s were selling for $15k, the locals wised uo and decided that if you find shallow gold with a detector, get your four cousins to dig a big hole and find more gold in the hole.

FT's vlf detectors are "killing it" in Africa. A $10k dep seeker won't dent that market. With the GPZ – for the first time - Minelab is pricing it higher in the US and Australia – why? I suspect that they set the price is high as they dared in Australia – where the GPZ he really makes a lot of sense probably because of the big deep gold which can be found there – in hopes of selling a lot of them at the highest premium they thought the market would bear.

For us in North America – frankly it's a vanity product. The kind of guys who bought a GPX 5000 put it in the closet and never use it again after the first couple of times out - might be tempted because of their endless bankrolls to buy a GPZ. Also, really serious gold seekers like Steve who will actually use and can justify investing in the very best will buy it no matter what it costs - within reason. With the combination of the two markets, why not price it in the US at a premium over the Australian price?

This is neither good nor bad and it is certainly not evil – it's just business. But as Bob Dylan said – oh well I said that already!

Now I AM going to bed. I have 3 subcontracts to work on tomorrow, bus transportation, Environmental Permit studies and laundry of work uniforms - what a glamerous business!

The GPX prices should stabilize now that many people are digesting the fact they will probably be keeping theirs. Or buying a new one since it is now the bang-for-the-buck option. Interesting how yesterday's top price magically became today's mid price. Perceptions are resetting.

I am having the opposite feeling about forum discussions however. There is remarkably little discussion of the GPZ on most forums. The only action appears to be here and on the Australia Gold Detecting & Prospecting forum. I am guessing this reflects that for many people the price is just so high there is nothing to talk about.

Here it is just flavor of the week. Was ATX, then SDC, now GPZ. When it settles down people will realize they can still buy a Gold Bug for $499 and go find gold.

• Like 2

There are over 30 GPX's for sale on ebay, most of them in Australia and not one of them are selling, so if the GPZ is all it is cracked up to be I can see the prices of the GPX's plummeting even further as nobody will want them. In fact there was one on sale in France on ebay last week and the owner pulled the plug on the sale hours before it ended as it had only reached €1020 ($1160), maybe you will see a lot of GPZ's end up in Relic or Beach hunter's hands.

I have both the 5000 and the sdc2300. And have come to the realization that I have to be happy with them. Just because the 7000 is out doesn't make them less effective. Still great machines. Wishing I had a 7000. But like my momma's says" wish in one hand and s#*t in the other, and see what hand fills up first".

Digger Bob said  the big nugget that was found last year in the California foot hills could have been found with a coin machine. Boots on the ground....

strick