My Equinox Has Drowned! And Waterproof Headphones

My Equinox has been under the water at least 40 hours before this happened! The first thing that I noticed was interference, like the cell phone being too close... then she just went dead!!

Bummer!

And for anyone thinking about getting the Minelab waterproof headphones? Put on your headphones, turn the volume on your machine down to somewhere around 14 and see if you'd like to hunt like that? That's how low the sound is on the Minelab waterproof headphones!

Surely the waterproof headphones were an afterthought for Minelab because I don't think you could hear them if you were under water breathing through a hookah or air tanks!

I'm not sure but maybe they can come up with a download that will help with the volume! 

I'm just waiting for Minelab to get back to me so I can send it in.....

Other than all the little and now an end of days problem........  I love this machine! I have over an ounce of gold jewelry that I have pulled off one beach in about 70 hrs of detecting! 

20180703_142303.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Bummer.  Hope they turn it around quickly.  Was it mounted on the stock shaft or did you transfer it to an Anderson or something like that?  It shouldn't matter but I have seen reports of water intrusion into the battery cavity area through the mounting notch hole on the stock shaft (plus the issue of water/sand collecting in the lower shaft as there is no accommodation for drainage) which shouldn't matter because the battery and internals are still sealed by double o-rings, but who knows what happens with corrosive salt water just sitting there in the cavity eating away at stuff where it can't be easily flushed without removing the control pod after each detecting session.  Seems something might deteriorate over time.

Re: the headphones, I have seen people receive several that are only putting out 45db and others that are putting out closer to 75 - 80db, so I think ML may have a QC issue with their h/P supplier.  You might want to look into that with ML and ask for an exchange as part of your warranty repair.

Sorry to hear that I'm sure ML will take care of it in their usual quick fashion.  I hope it doesn't become a regular issue (fingers crossed)

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:
12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bummer.  Hope they turn it around quickly.  Was it mounted on the stock shaft or did you transfer it to an Anderson or something like that?  It shouldn't matter but I have seen reports of water intrusion into the battery cavity area through the mounting notch hole on the stock shaft (plus the issue of water/sand collecting in the lower shaft as there is no accommodation for drainage) which shouldn't matter because the battery and internals are still sealed by double o-rings, but who knows what happens with corrosive salt water just sitting there in the cavity eating away at stuff where it can't be easily flushed without removing the control pod after each detecting session.  Seems something might deteriorate over time.

Re: the headphones, I have seen people receive several that are only putting out 45db and others that are putting out closer to 75 - 80db, so I think ML may have a QC issue with their h/P supplier.  You might want to look into that with ML and ask for an exchange as part of your warranty repair.

Stock shaft.  I've never even took the Pod off to look at it...

I hope your right on the head phones!

12 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Sorry to hear that I'm sure ML will take care of it in their usual quick fashion.  I hope it doesn't become a regular issue (fingers crossed)

Already got an RMA... I will put it in the mail on Thursday! But what a horrible time to go down right on 4th of July weekend!

• Sad 1

Send it Thursday you will have it back next thursday. They turn it around in one day. They won't even get it until Monday afternoon. Sent mine in twice. 

Thanks Norm! That's the plan!

54 minutes ago, Norm S said:

Send it Thursday you will have it back next thursday. They turn it around in one day. They won't even get it until Monday afternoon. Sent mine in twice. 

Here's my finds from one beach with the Equinox, in about 70 hrs! The little ladybug toe ring weighs .4 grams! And the one that has like spun gold on it rings in exactly like a penny 21 it's 585 European gold

20180704_082020.jpg

20180704_081836.jpg

• Like 7

I dont know why anyone who has ever used the yellow would think these would be different....... they just changed the plug.   They had low volume on the CTX as well.   BUT...... id have to say they are dive ready/sealed very well.   As a water guy..... im kind of used to having to change out a shaft and phones...... so the price of this machine REALLY helped.   Bummer on the machine...... second one like this....... just wonder where the leak is....... it must be the seal used for the screen?   

2 hours ago, Thegoldenone said:

Stock shaft.  I've never even took the Pod off to look at it...

I hope your right on the head phones!

Yeah, the weeping problem was with the stock shaft.

1 hour ago, Thegoldenone said:

Already got an RMA... I will put it in the mail on Thursday! But what a horrible time to go down right on 4th of July weekend!

Doesn't really help now and I know a lot of folks can't afford to do this, but for that very reason, I purchased a 600 as a backup to my 800 and as a dedicated water machine because salt water hunting is just tough on detectors.  The price of the 600 with my dealer's loyal customer discount enabled be to get both detectors for less than I would pay for a single Deus.  So I thought it was worth it.  For salt beach hunting the 600 is just fine, and I can use the 800 for more challenging relic hunting situations where the extra features and wireless accessories are beneficial.  If the 600 goes down vecause of a water problem then I can go to the 800 as backup.  I really have no suitable "other" detector for wet salt beach hunting. 

• Like 2