My Equinox Has Drowned! And Waterproof Headphones

8 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I dont know why anyone who has ever used the yellow would think these would be different....... they just changed the plug.   They had low volume on the CTX as well.   BUT...... id have to say they are dive ready/sealed very well.   As a water guy..... im kind of used to having to change out a shaft and phones...... so the price of this machine REALLY helped.   Bummer on the machine...... second one like this....... just wonder where the leak is....... it must be the seal used for the screen?   

it's too bad about the yellows.... I'll ask Minelab tomorrow when I call them. I've only worn them about 7/8 hours to me they're one of the most comfortable set of headphones I've had, no pain whatsoever from my ears or head!

29 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I dont know why anyone who has ever used the yellow would think these would be different....... they just changed the plug.   They had low volume on the CTX as well.   BUT...... id have to say they are dive ready/sealed very well.   As a water guy..... im kind of used to having to change out a shaft and phones...... so the price of this machine REALLY helped.   Bummer on the machine...... second one like this....... just wonder where the leak is....... it must be the seal used for the screen?   

Well because I have now seen, first hand, two sets of ML WP phones that have registered 45 on a db meter and 2 sets that have registered 75 on the db meter from two different friends that have the Equinox WP phones.  So yeah, that tells me something is amiss with ML WP phone quality.  I do not dispute that overall ML has a wired phone volume  problem with the Equinox, but that seems to be a function of weak amplifier design or impedance matching issues combined with subpar overall ML water phones design as you stated.  But there are definitely defective ML WP phone batches being delivered out there to go along generally poor design ML WP phones.  Just saying.

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bummer.  Hope they turn it around quickly.  Was it mounted on the stock shaft or did you transfer it to an Anderson or something like that?

Turn it around?  They are going to junk it. Saltwater in the case. IN FACT. If it was mine I would make a small mark on the case and make sure it does not come back.

Dave 

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Turn it around?  They are going to junk it. Saltwater in the case. IN FACT. If it was mine I would make a small mark on the case and make sure it does not come back.

Dave 

I was referring to the warranty replacement turnaround, I never said anything about a repair.  Believe me, I know these are throwaway units after failure.  :dry:

Bad news about the machine , thats the second i have heard of drowning . 

As for all Minelab headphones NO. They are all low toned and they seem to not have learned from the Koss . Gray Ghosts are the way to go and when i can i will buy a waterproof set for the Nox . But i will test them in the shop first before any readies go .

I wont use my Nox under water , its just a very weatherproof machine to me . In fact thats all i was hoping for from a X.Terra replacement .

Chase...... even the CTX had volume issues.   Most of us make our own with either audiosear speakers or piezos.   audiosears seem to be the way to go with both the CTX and Nox.  Ive got a pair that you have to turn down the volume on the CTX.   The WP ML phones use some kind of silcone which really reduces the piezos ability to vibrate properly..... but does and excellent job of sealing it.   Most now thou have opted to encase the speaker rather than put stuff on them.   Not many pairs of phones in the salt water if used with any consistency wont fail.....expect it.  Im expecting the same out of the box/battery........ but in 3 years even if you have to send it back once and they have to replace it..... its a win IMO.   I get this uneasy felling they will change that warranty period just like they did with the Xcal and maybe even the price tag.

Now that there are some very good waterproof ear buds im wondering if you cant use them and just put say gun muffs over them to dive to this limited depth and hear better?  

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Unfortunately, it can happen, though rare.  The good news is you will get a brand new unit.

I'm gonna try and drown mine as I'm getting close to the end of my warranty :smile:

strick