You Never Know Until You Dig

Out this morning with the Equinox 800 in a park which was previously a 19th century farm/homestead.  I noticed recently indications they are going to let the grass grow without mowing in a spot where I previously have found old farm parts (but no old valuables).  I've found modern coins in the vacinity but those have all been dropped since the park was established in 1969.  Unfortunately the lot where the house stood is now in a subdivision with newer homes built in its place.  But the driveway leading from the main road to the farm lot near the house is actually on (municipal) park property and I hunted along it last winter without success.

I was operating in Park 1, ground balanced, noise adjusted, recovery speed = 6, Fe bias = 2, custom 5 tone, gain = 20.  I got a loud hit with ID=21 (solid and steady from two directions).  At first I thought it was a recently dropped Zincoln but it wasn't double blipping and that was inconsistent with the signal strength.  I checked in pinpoint mode and not only was the VCO indicating strong (large/close?) target and the profile (size) was indicating something larger than a coin.  At that point I would have bet 3-to-1 it was an aluminum soft drink or beer can.  Three inches down I was amazed at what I pulled out.

My first concern (always) was "is it real?"  There were no Civil War battles fought in Indiana although the Confederate Morgan and his Raiders did wreak some havoc on our side of the Ohio River, including going into the state of Ohio as well.  Still, his path is over 50 miles from where I was hunting.  I guess it's possible there were skirmishes with native Americans in the first half of the 1800's.  Also, many soldiers (and some regiments) came from Indiana so there may have been an encampment in this field.  All highly speculative right now until I can get to a library and do more research.

My first thought was "belt buckle" but after doing some research online I found out it is a "cartridge box plate".  You can tell that from the four rusty attachment points on the reverse side -- two loops of steel originally mounted on, soldered with lead.  BTW, the dimensions are approximately 3 1/2 in X 2 1/4 in (90 mm X 58 mm) which matches pretty closely dimensions I was able to find online.  Note the weight (a bit over a quarter pound) and the gray surface on the back of the plate -- the remaining lead which is characteristic of a cartridge box plate.  I think it's real! 

P1010003.JPG

P1010001.JPG

• Like 7

Great Find!!!!!  Yes, it's real. It could have belonged to the original home owner, or family member. Just because you aren't near an actual battle site doesn't mean you can't find relics.  There could have been an encampment near by for new recruits. Research the town / county history more and you may come up with your answer.

• Thanks 1