World Bored With High Frequency Detectors?

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Coming from a computer background and having a new model every few months you come to expect it and get disappointed when there isn't! 

It's not just you, that is the world we live in now, $1000 for an Iphone and they bring out a new one 6 months later, and the new comers to the hobby who work for these companies are trying to do the same to detecting and we have had quite a few machines put on the market that are less than Inspiring even on a good day,

I would much rather they spent a couple of years getting it right than blow my hard earned cash and regret it a week later as we have seen in the past,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

No problems, I will always remember Steve telling me to Ground grab my Gold Bug Pro then notch it up a couple to get the most out of it.

I'm preferring my Nox now with it's 6" so I'll use it with my GPX and 14x9 EVO and learn the buggery out of them.

I have a 14x10 on my VLF and next to the 5.3/6" coil it is my favourite and it is the same weight as the standard 10" DD but it adds a few inches depth on coins and on larger items it goes really deep.

1 hour ago, auminesweeper said:

I have a 14x10 on my VLF....

I know you're talking about the White's MXT.  What 14x10 coil do you refer?  Is it a White's model or from one of the aftermarket manufacturers?

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I know you're talking about the White's MXT.  What 14x10 coil do you refer?  Is it a White's model or from one of the aftermarket manufacturers?

No  GB it is the Detech Excelerator EQ2 Pro 14x10, I have one on the machine and a brand new one still in it's box as a spare.

This is It, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DETECH-14-x-10-DD-Elliptical-COIL-for-Whites-DFX-MXT-Series-M6-and-MX5/273363022240?hash=item3fa5b4b1a0:g:5bEAAOSwQz1bKBgR

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

Thanks,  I came to thinking/wishing they would sort out the ground issues when I was testing my coils and someone posted about how far their machine could air test a coke can, Well the coke cans over here are smaller at 330mils and when I did his test I Dare not publish my results because it would of started a war, even more so when I used my favourite coil, But I thought if I could get that depth then I would need a JCB and leave the pick at home, As it is I have a coil that can see Cans at up to 3 feet and maybe a bit more in the ground but it Air Tests at ridiculous distances, I have always thought if I loose 70% of that distance in the ground then I am still going to be digging 2 or 3 feet holes on a coke can,  Perish the thought ?.

Good ground balancing is one thing and the MXT has the best GB ever made but that is only a small part of the story because as we know the ground minerals can just destroy a detectors depth, but regardless of the GB system until a detector can wipe out those mineral then we are not going to see any improvements in depth, Because they have the same effect as Headlights in the Fog and when it gets too bad we have to turn down the gain so it can see, A bit like switching from High beam to low beam in the fog,

We have detectors with multi frequencies that can ID a coin in a bucket of Nails with maga sweep speed and even faster separation speeds yet we still don't have a VLF that can see through the Mineral Soup that we face on a daily bases. We have everything but the Ability to see whats down there.

I sure agree with you on the GB system on the MXT auminesweeper! 

I've got the GMT, same system.  The ability to run in autotrack, yet lock it at any time, manually GB if you choose, or do an auto Ground Grab at the press of a button is an incredible system!   That system on the MXT/GMT has been around for going on two decades, but, it's timeless, and the best of all worlds ground balance wise!

I hope Whites always keeps that GB system because it is so good and fast, I would like to see them add a see through mineralization feature to that GB and then depth would be improved along with target ID, But I would like to see Whites add 2 extra push pads to the MXT for manual GB.

Many folks chop and change machines search for that magic machine but it does not exist, The machine a person should stick with is the model they had the most success with which is why I won't change my VLF, some folks have bought and sold at leased 10 maybe more machines this past year and they are back to square one, If people would finesse their skills with the machine that they were most successful with then they would not need to keep wasting money on machines that are a repeat of what they already have

I won't change my VLF, because if I want to find tiny nuggets I use the 5.3 coil and if I want to go deep I use the 14x10 or the 15" Concentric which works like a VLF version of a Mono,

A GPX 4500/5K would be next on my list and another GMT because both of these two are bench marks and if a person has no success with these two then it's down to their skill level, Makes and models can only help do so much. the rest is down to doing the hard yards. We can only blame the machine for so long and chopping and changing is not the answer.

• Like 1

Well Mate, every time you start to have doubts go and read Steve's list about Gold detectors just to remind your self how good they are, That alone will give you the driving force and keep you focussed, You Own some of the best gear on the planet looking at your list of gear, So believe it. ML did not rerelease the 4500 by accident,

As for JW finding a nugget 0.23 grams I bet if he tried harder he could find a smaller one with the Equinox if he tried,  With yours I would be testing it out using fired Bricks and buckshot working on your settings until you can get out because you will know the machine much better by time you get out in the field, There is no substitute for really knowing your machine before you go out detecting, Searching for Gold is hard enough which is why you don't want to be learning the machine when you should be detecting then you can concentrating on looking for Gold listening to every little squeak and chirp as well as using your eyes to follow the geology that will lead you to the gold.

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, there is a lot to learn but I'll get there.  My job now is to not worry about looking at what other detector "maybe" better but to learn what I've got and learn them so I know them inside out.

JW found 14 nuggets that in total weighed .23 of a gram with his Nox + 6" on it's first day out ?

Somebody once said beware of the man with only One Gun because he proberly knows how to use it, Detectors are the same, Although my VLF is a new older design I never worry about what others are using or how much more theirs cost, I have seen the Gold others have found and I know what I have found and I have used it from the UK to Gympie QLD and the GT,  So a person needs to trust the machine and if they know it well enough then most of all they need to trust them selves,

All the modern Hi frequency machine are very cool and the ones you have can a will do the deed if you let them teach you, forget your bad habits from past machines, If prospecting is your thing then work on that mode first and watch Chris Ralph's videos over and over til it sinks in. He's a good teacher not only does he tell you what things do but how and why.

Too many videos tell you how to change things but they don't tell you why or the cause and effect involved and the manuals are not much chop either, this is why doing your own testing is important when you don't have others around or close by to help. 

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

That's what I was indicating a Gold Bug 2 version 2 should have, nobody would take away the option to manually ground balance, but it sure is nice to have Auto when you want it, especially in very variable ground.  There is always room for improvement on any detector which is why I was saying it's nuts they haven't come out with an improved version after all these years.  Fisher added the Ground Grab feature on the Gold Bug Pro, I like it, takes seconds to do but they left the manual controls to manually adjust the ground balance.  I don't think the GBP was meant to be the replacement for the GB2, it was just more stable in a lot of ground with its lower frequency and was capable of more types of detecting so it was there to open up a bigger market than the GB2 had.  I will admit the more I use it the more I like it.  It appears to have a really accurate VDI number system too in discriminate mode.

I understand where you're coming from.  Auto tracking systems can have their advantages for inexperienced operators, or, as you said in"variable ground".  They also had disadvantages, at least in some of the earlier systems.

Around the late 1990's, well known detector designer Dave Johnson designed the Lobo Super Trac for Tesoro, or Lobo ST as it's most widely known.  It had a very good ground tracking/balance system which was great for beginners. It had a shortcoming though. The tracking system could not be locked to the current ground phase when a target was found.  As the user would wiggle the coil back and forth to further analyze the signal, the GB system continued tracking.  At times it could actually track out (eliminate) the target signal as bad ground.  It could/can be mitigated by making wider sweeps of the coil to let the tracking system read the surrounding soil matrix and adjust to that and not read the target as bad ground.

Fast forward a year or two.  Mr. Johnson, now working for Whites Electronics was in the process of designing two widely popular models for them, the GMT and MXT.  He obviously was aware of the shortcomings of the Lobo ST tracking system.  He made one huge addition to the whites models, the ability to lock the current ground phase in the tracking system when the user had a potential target.  Once locked, the operator can move the coil back and forth to analyze the target with no worry of it being "tracked out" as bad ground.  He also added the option to manually ground balance, and the very nice Ground Grab system which at the push of a button adjusts the ground phase of the machine to the ground matrix under the coil, as the computer constantly monitors the ground phase conditions.  A great bunch of options at the time!

Mr. Johnson has gotten away from auto ground tracking/adjusting systems for the most part at First Texas now.  Most of their current machines employ the "Ground Grab" system, or the Ground Grab, plus a manual option most are familiar with.

The newer machines of most other brands employ a variety of the GB options including tracking which is quite common now.  They seem to work well.  I still have a fondness for the GMT's options which are now nearly two decades old.

As to the GB2.  It's another one of Dave Johnson's excellent designs, and an all-time classic.  I don't think I'd change a thing with that one!

Sorry for the long winded post.

• Like 5