Steve Herschbach

World Bored With High Frequency Detectors?

You can cheat with an auto tracking machine if you want to up the GB a bit by ground balancing but only lowering you Coil down to 4 or 5 inches off the ground or even higher and you can make it go the other way by only raising it by about 3 inches from the ground and by letting the coil linger on the ground, So you can off set the GB to suit although you have little control by how much,

I know with one pump of the coil it will be slightly negative and at two pumps it will be slightly positive and by the third pump it will be more so making a bit more noise as you lower the coil, but as a rule it always ground balances with 2 pumps of the coil or if I have had the tracking locked If I press and release the ground grab it update to the current GB setting that the detector see's without have to pump the coil and it only takes about half a second or less for it to GB it's self,

Manual GB is handy for those who like to tweak things but if you only have Auto track and Lock you can imitate it to a fair degree. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, auminesweeper said:

Somebody once said beware of the man with only One Gun because he proberly knows how to use it, Detectors are the same,

I like that auminesweeper 👍 This has been a good conversation to follow. Simon is a good student. Takes advice on board. He will get there. I was almost going to just pm him with my first little outburst, but I am glad I didn't now. As I am sure others will learn from this. Thank you for adding to the thread. Even if it just helps one person it has been worth while. Cheers.

Best of luck out there.

JW :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep he is a fast learner and he has all the right gear so success is just around the corner.

the recent influx of LF machines has opened a lot of peoples eyes that were once blinkered by PI machines, finally people are taking note, they seem to forget that the biggest nugget ever found with a detector was found with a VLF in the GT in a time before PI's were invented, Since then Recovery speed has got better so has Disc and ground balance systems work in all but the most extreme conditions, Not to mention that even big Coils are a lot hotter than the little ones we use to use back in the 80's. My largest coils can see bits down to 0.02 on the surface.

Even though I prefer VLF's I like searching hot ground because I can get the detector running right on the edge and a few things happen that either people don't know or they just ignore but in shallow ground and junk sites these LF machines really come in to their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Simon is a good student. Takes advice on board. He will get there.

From what I've read he's damn near there already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

they seem to forget that the biggest nugget ever found with a detector was found with a VLF in the GT in a time before PI's were invented,

:laugh::laugh: Ha ha....Yes, but those were sterling times. I think someone's big toe may also have been able to find some of those early discoveries ( stub toe, trip over it) :laugh: But imagine how many more BIG deep nuggets would have been found had the PI's been around back then. As we now know....LOTS. Maybe not as big because the VLF's did find those big shallow ones, but back then the VLF's were the "only" detectors available to be purchased.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:   

Yep for sure, I wonder how many ounces have been found since by ordinary prospectors, and since then detectors have been used for everything from finding nuggets to clearing mines along with many other uses, Who would of thought a simple hobby would be so far reaching.

• Like 2

A very interesting thread that I had earlier somehow missed.  Lots of good information and comments.

Given the pricing of PI vs VLF machines and the ability of VLF machines to find small gold the PI detectors miss, VLF machines will probably remain in the game.  Of course, some hardcore professional gold hunters, who have access to places with big, deep nuggets and do it as a living, may find that they do better time-wise using only PI detectors; but, that's really a different game.

It will be interesting to see whether the dedicated VLF gold detectors can compete against the Equinox, which is shaping up to be the ultimate "cross over" machine.  The dedicated machines were designed for gold hunting and offer features geared to gold hunting. But, if the Equinox's mix of frequencies proves able to do the work of two gold machines--finding the smallest gold like a 40khz+ detector but also finding deeper larger gold like a 19khz machine--that may not be enough.

New info added to original post.....

high-frequency-metal-detector-gold-nugge
High frequency nugget detectors compared

whites-goldmaster-24k-minelab-equinox-gold-monster-makro-kruzer.jpg
White's Goldmaster 24K, Minelab Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Makro Gold Kruzer

minelab-gold-monster-1000-vs-fisher-gold
Minelab Gold Monster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Impact