Sand In The Coil Cover

Al F

For all the beachers.....I read somewhere ( don't remember where ), to periodically remove the coil cover and dump out the sand.... I did so on the 3rd and found a considerable amount....... After cleaning it out and reinstalling the cover, I took it out to a beach and seem to have gotten a better response on all coins and silver.....BUT I now wonder if there is a FIX to keep the sand from invading the miniscule space betwixt the coil and the coil cover......any viable ideas??????

We've got a thread on this somewhere and I'm sure Steve will bring it up or you can search for it but my solution is to take it off.  If you don't ground your coil you will be fine.  If you want to put it back on take some silicone and put all under the coil and squeeze the cover back on.

If you are a guy like Lunk then you take a piece of lexan, cut it to fit and hold it on with some velcrow picture hangers and then all the dirt that wants to stay on top and under the coil will slide off each time you turn it on its side.

Mitchel

I take the coil cover off and clean it at the end of each hunt day. It's easy and it's necessary.

Yes,  Just what flakmagnet says!  Or if its just sand your hunting take the cover off. GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 3

I silicone the edge of each coil on my CTX. Great idea until I went over to OZ. knowing how anal they are on bringing any soil into the country I scrubbed the CTX and coils but the silicone remained discoloured. I did expect hassle when I arrived in Sydney but they didn't even look at it. maybe it was because of the early hours of the morning, maybe not but I have not bothered to silicone my Equinox

On 7/6/2018 at 2:34 AM, Nig the Dig said:

I silicone the edge of each coil on my CTX. Great idea until I went over to OZ. knowing how anal they are on bringing any soil into the country I scrubbed the CTX and coils but the silicone remained discoloured. I did expect hassle when I arrived in Sydney but they didn't even look at it. maybe it was because of the early hours of the morning, maybe not but I have not bothered to silicone my Equinox

I personally would never silicone a coil cover on that was or is used for beach hunting. OR used in water at all.....too many inches of caulk line to make sure zero water/dirt gets between the coil and cover. Also wear out a cover and you have a huge mess picking it all off.

I have seen detectors go nuts falsing/chatter after 15 minutes of use in water as well by sand/black sand infiltration.

Throw the coil cover in the garbage and use marine epoxy on the bottom of your coil. I have also used slow set JB weld with good results. This is probably the best recommendation I can give on my 20 years of Salt Water beach hunting. 

• Like 1