Sorry if this thread has been discussed before. (I did have a look around the forum but couldn't find a comparison between machines)

I've decided to have ago at coin/relic hunting. When talking to a dealer that regularly detects I got the impression that the 3030 was still an all-round better machine than the equinox. The purchase price is not part of the decision, more so id like to purchase something I'm going to be happy to keep as i learn more about relic hunting.

My wife and I regularly head off on short trips and would like to go to other areas other than the gold fields all the time. I'm thinking the ability to detect beaches/parks and old historic sites would be nice. Although I've often thought id love to have something that could go over old-timers gold camps and discriminate out the iron better than the gpx4500.

So the question is what would most people get? The 3030 or the Equinox 800. Or would there be some other machine that would be worthy of consideration?  

• Like 1

The dealer is wrong lol. Now the other guys will be by at some point and they will say the 3030 has a place in the line up. That is true. Now my point of view; Nox is cheaper and just as good, only better in many cases. Try this point of view. I can go from Tahoe lake silver coin shooting, to my local part looking for some V nicks on my way to rye patch to nugget shoot and not change detectors. After all that if I have strength left I can relic hunt the ghost towns on my way to McDonald's. 

If the dealer told you that the 3030 can do that trip with the same level of ability the Nox can, then I have a bridge in AZ I can sell you. 

Nox is king of all around detectors and the price point is a grand low.

These are my view points only.

• Like 4

Good day Jin I am not a gold hunter so I can't help you there but I have been reading that people are happy with the Equinox at the beach. I have the Equinox 600 and am finding stuff in heavily hit parks that other machines/detectorists have missed so it will find coins and relics well. The price is reasonable so you could get another used detector as well. I have an AT Pro a buddy gave me with the smaller 8x6 coil and it does better in heavy iron infested sites than my Equinox with stock coil. I never used to carry 2 detectors but I have learned to bring them now. Purchasing 2 might be worth it. ALSO they are coming out with a smaller equinox coil so you may only need 1 ?

• Like 2

CTX leans high conductors / large targets (silver coins) and sparser trash. Equinox leans low conductor / small targets and deals better with dense trash. Either is superior at what it does best.

Minelab E-trac, CTX 3030, Excalibur Versus Equinox

Which is “best” depends on the primary usage since neither model is superior to the other in all ways. For me and my uses - I detect more for gold than for silver - the Equinox is the better detector. Somebody who really focuses on silver coins may find they prefer the CTX. I know some pros running the CTX with 17” coils in the UK, and their results cannot be argued with. That combo is a “treasure hog” :smile:

The hard part to factor is weight (Equinox far less ) and cost (CTX far more) and whether the perceived advantage of the CTX for what it does best is worth the weight and cost penalty. For lots of people, Equinox is best at many things, and for the rest, it is “good enough”.

Or at least that’s why I sold my CTX and now have two Equinox instead. I sure liked my CTX however. It is better behaved than the Equinox and I think it takes less expertise to master a CTX. There is room for both in the world, and the CTX will continue to be around for many years.

• Like 6

You can buy two 800's for the price of one 3030; one for you and one for the wife.

My ctx was a great silver getter but not much good in heavy trash. I love my 800 but due to some problems and the County Parks closed to detecting I have not used it nearly as much.

fred

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your comments and recommendations. After reading the thread/post by Steve I decided on the Equinox 800. Have just placed an order for one so looking forward to a different type of detecting from which I normally do. (Gold)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jin said:

Thanks guys for your comments and recommendations. After reading the thread/post by Steve I decided on the Equinox 800. Have just placed an order for one so looking forward to a different type of detecting from which I normally do. (Gold)

Out done by Steve again lol. At least i get out done by a Jedi master.?

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 2:26 AM, Stephen newell said:

I can go from Tahoe lake silver coin shooting, to my local part looking for some V nicks on my way to rye patch to nugget shoot and not change detectors. After all that if I have strength left I can relic hunt the ghost towns on my way to McDonald's.

I wouldn't say "out done by Steve" -- just enhanced.

Your comment about "having the strength left" emphasizes the difference between a 3 lb detector and a 5 lb detector (do I need to mention names?).  Further, a $900 price tag vs. a $2500 one allows you to step up from McDonald's to Applebees.  ?

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

I have a good amount of time on both machines and gladly parted ways with the CTX. For my detecting needs, there isnt one single instance the ctx outshines the nox 800. Yes, it has a few nice features, but none that make it a dealbreaker.

Ctx is horrible in iron, not to say i haven't made nice finds in iron with it, but nox wins hands down.

Ctx is pretty useless on small gold and gold in general. Its somewhat capable, but not a good option.

Ctx is a TANK! It handles horribly underwater, known to leak if you dont take extra precautions not mentioned by ML.. To be fair, the nox also needs extra love so it doesn't drown.

No ability to run single freq on the ctx, which imo, offsets the overall usefulness.