GPZ 7000 vs GPX 5000 - Video by JP!

Hi Jonathon

Many thanks for your great posts.

Your contributions are much appreciated.

Please keep up your good work - your time and effort are much appreciated by the "silent majority".

Do you have any plans for a DVD on the 7000?

Regards

Ceejay

Why we have to compare everything, I had the 5000, I was very happy with it, I kept it for three years, Now Minelab launched a new model,  the GPZ7000, I never had to regret every time I upgraded in the past, I started with SD2200D, then GP 3500, GPX4500, to the 5000, every single one has been better than the previous.

So I pre-ordered the 7000, unfortunately, because the heavy request I have to wait another two weeks, it is painful but the more I wait the more I will enjoy and appreciate the new machine, it is expensive? yes, it is heavier than the 5000? yes, but it is what I wanted, nobody forced me to change, I don't have to live with the gold that I will eventually find, it is my special hobby, together with Photography and Shooting, all expensive hobbies, but I start working when I was 15 now I am 65, I just sold my restaurant, so this is my time, is time for me to retire and enjoy what is left of my 60s. 

Cheers

• Like 3

There is a signal from the GPX - JP mentions it himself in the video. But it is extremely weak.

The problem with video of course is people see what they want to see. If the desire is to see proof the GPZ is better, that is what you see. If you are skeptical of the GPZ, you see a dozen reasons why the GPX could have done better. It is one big reason I am not very excited about doing video myself.

For instance if you want to go down the rabbit hole you can just go with the possibility that maybe all the GPX needed was a 16" mono. The GPZ has no coil options at this time. Or if the GPZ hits a small specimen, you can mention that the GPX may have hit it with a small coil. Or different timings.

What gets overlooked is that the GPZ is doing what the GPX can do with a bigger coil, or a smaller coil, or different timings, all at once with one setting and one coil. Yeah, I think the GPX in multiple passes with multiple coils and different settings can give a GPZ with a single setting and coil a run for the money in many cases. As long as you have time to hit the same ground multiple times. And even then, the GPZ will hit some gold a GPX just can't hit.

Any light bulbs?

For me pounding old patches is fine and dandy, but my personal use of the GPX is going to be for patch hunting and knowing that I have the best shot first time no matter what in a single pass of getting what is there. I am going to spend most of my time this summer detecting on ground that has hopefully never seen a coil, and it will see mine just once.

Honestly though, if you have a GPX 5000 and a bunch of coils and know which timings to use and a SDC 2300 and the time to apply it all in various combinations, then you are pretty well set, and no burning need to get a GPZ 7000.

Well said Steve, Isn't this the same problem that we had when GPX5000 come out, every time a good size nugget was discovered, everybody was questioning if the 4500 would ever find the same nugget maybe with a different coil.

People like comparisons especially when few thousands of dollars are involved,

I had the 4500, I was unsure at first, but when I decided to upgrade I did it, no remorses no regrets, we should look ahead not back, is not the end of the world, there is always a new model coming out, sooner or later.

Cheers

PS. sorry if some time you find a spelling mistake, but I am Italian and I am doing the best I can.

• Like 1

Goldquest, Pisano...you spell better than I do so nothing for you to apologise for...Do you know Orlando formerly Doug Stones "assistant"?

I just turned 65 myself...do it while you can, my friend!!! Hope you find a real thumper with the 7000...

fred

• Like 1