How Many Holes Can You Dig In A Day! A Crazy Day

Hi fellow detectorists,

Well i got back from my permission about an hour ago.  Always feel good after exercise, but feel even better after detecting ? 

Anyways it was a crazy day, bleeps and chirps on almost every sweep.  I kind of got a tad despondent after digging about 10+  holes and finding lead, wire, bolts, door handles, an old ladys lighter etc. They all seemed to reside in the 10-17 VDI range in Field 2.  As i carried on, the vdi's kept matching the previous trash, and that made for the despondency.  I found myself skipping good signals in that vdi range, and now back at home im kicking myself for not digging them.  Especially when on one 16 (i think) i dug up a nice french centime 1969. Not a great dig, but nice to see a shiny coin.

So my query is, should we really dig them all, because today i would of tore up the whole lawn with about 100 + holes.   Its a dilemma, but im still sat here reminiscing of my digs.

Oh and on advice from Steve, im going to ask this with the Brits in mind:   What ground balance method do you chaps/chapess's use in the UK on fields please?  Auto, manual or ground track?

God i love this hobby. All the best peeps!

Andy.

If you don't dig them, you'll never know. 

My 4th or 5th target I dug on my first trip out with the EQ800 I got a solid, repeatable 14 TID, and much to my chagrin, it was a beautiful 18KT antique yellow gold ring loaded with rubies, emeralds and sapphires.  So had I thought, oh pull-tab skip that, I'd left a nice $500 ring behind. 

JMHO
Cal

• Thanks 1

a manicured lawn is not the place for plugs and holes...perhaps a better digging method would serve...otherwise, I would have to pass on some signals.  If holes and appearance is not a problem...as Cal said; you never know until you did it.

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, 57buick said:

Yea, after all the buildup I'm not very impressed with the equinox, seems to just be a beep/dig machine. My Deus can discriminate so much better

Hi Buick,

Have you used one of a friends, or do you own one?

The multi-frequency is the thing i love!  Besides, this hole digging is getting me back into some kind of shape ? 

Andy.

12 hours ago, 57buick said:

Yea, after all the buildup I'm not very impressed with the equinox, seems to just be a beep/dig machine. My Deus can discriminate so much better

Can you explain "discriminate better"? 

I have owned a Deus for 3+ years and the Equinox since March and I can say that both have their pluses and minuses.  The Deus does not hold a candle to the Equinox in wet salt sand conditions.  But I have not really seen anything the Deus can really do that much better performance wise on dry land even with the HF coils.  I love the Deus form factor, wireless coil advantages, portability, and grab 'n' go ergonomics and the small coil form factors.  However, I actually like the seamless discrimination/notch paradigm on the Equinox where I can "discriminate" (not just audio notch) huge swaths of the range without fear of losing detections depth (it is a known fact that if you push discrimination above 20 on the Deus you will affect depth).  I have found the speed of the detectors to be comparable, so separation is about the same and only limited by coil size at this point so the nod goes to Deus.  The 50-tone implementation (which goes hand-in-hand with discrimination and target ID) on the Equinox is superior to full tones on the Deus because you do not suffer from ferrous blending and down averaging and, unlike the Deus, can instantly cut in ferrous with the brilliantly placed all metal button or use threshold for ferrous awareness while maintaining discrimination.  I don't want this to turn into a Deus vs. Equinox thread because I can go on and on with other comparisons between the two both positive and negative  (ease of programming, water hunting readiness, multi frequency advantages, firmware updates, etc.).

Am I giving up my Deus - no way.  Love it and use it still.  Does it "discriminate better", well the way I define discrimination above (combined with tone audio), I am not seeing that.  Equinox as a Beep/Dig - uh, nope.  Audio tells most of the target story with the Equinox, just as it is with the Deus.  Would like to hear more about what you are experiencing.  I am actually impressed by both machines.  Thanks.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:23 AM, Andy2640 said:

Hi Buick,

Have you used one of a friends, or do you own one?

The multi-frequency is the thing i love!  Besides, this hole digging is getting me back into some kind of shape ? 

Andy.

I have both a Deus and a NOX 800, been using just the NOX for the past couple months trying to learn it and get used to it. I just feel like the TDI numbers and tones are so compressed and I cant tell any difference between pennys and gold rings from trash.

I could easily tell the difference on the DEUS. I cant seem to see any difference with the multi frequency on the NOX when I compare targets that tell me its detecting better or deeper at all? I've been reading peoples posts like crazy trying to see how it is helping with the multi on the nox

Are you using 5 tones or 50 tones mostly on Equinox?  Do you use multi tones (4 or 5 tones) on the Deus or Full tones?

Also, do you use the HF coils on the Deus or the LF coils?  The lower frequencies are spread out the VDI more on the Deus.

One of my biggest issues with the NOX. I've never seen a negative number. All nails seem to ring up in the teens and 20's. Gold rings and such sound exactly the same as all the trash in my tests. I realise bottle caps and foil are always gonna be a problem.

Quarters are the only thing so far that gives a good tone